• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Microfiber cloth on header...

Brian Lucid

Just got it firing!
Kia ora all,

As I was maneuvering my new V7ii racer into its parking space a microfiber cloth fell off my workbench and landed right on my chrome header, leaving a very noticeable stain.

I wanted to ask advice here as there is a lot of conflicting information online and I do not want to do any more damage than I already have. The V7ii pipes appear to scratch very easily.

I have tried small tests with acetone and with tin foil. The acetone did not appear to work, and it looked as if the tin foil will cloud the finish. What should my next steps be? Advice greatly appreciated.

I left a couple of hundred dollars worth of expensive new textile jacket sleeve stuck to one of mine. I just took the bike out and "rode it like i stole it" until it burnt so much that it flaked off. I re-tested this method with some matching pant fabric and sas-tec armor a few months later. Worked ok second time also.

No experience with Guzzi chrome pipes ( I have a carbon dark ), but on my Harley sportster before I swapped out the drag pipes for a 2 into 1... I would go out for a ride long enough to get them hot, spray WD40 onto a paper towel or rag and wipe off whatever was melted on previously. Let it cool down and then use a regular cleaner on it. My daughter used to ride with me a lot and there was always rubber melted to the pipe from her boots.

Kia ora all,

As I was maneuvering my new V7ii racer into its parking space a microfiber cloth fell off my workbench and landed right on my chrome header, leaving a very noticeable stain.

I wanted to ask advice here as there is a lot of conflicting information online and I do not want to do any more damage than I already have. The V7ii pipes appear to scratch very easily.

I have tried small tests with acetone and with tin foil. The acetone did not appear to work, and it looked as if the tin foil will cloud the finish. What should my next steps be? Advice greatly appreciated.

I have felt your pain ... but no longer do.

Seriously, that sort of thing can be maddening, and I, too, care about the looks of my motos. Kathi would say I am obsessive, but I have let much of that go over time. Even with double-walled pipes something -- especially of the sort you and timax just experienced -- will mar the virgin finish.

The single-walled pipes on my newest -- the Stornello with 4.5K miles -- already have a parti-color mix on both pipes, with a small glob of a plastic bag on one. The last has gotten smaller over the last hundred miles and will ultimately burn away, tho possibly with a perpetual surface wart.

As long as headers are the same general color, things like that no longer make my "So What Meter" needle twitch.

In the meantime, with it and the others, unless I need to avoid some oppressive item on Kathi's do-list and head down to the Moto Grappa to escape, I just don't think the effort worth it. Besides, I think this is a moto-spin on that old saw: chicks dig scars. :giggle:

Still, best wishes in removing the stuff from your Racer.

Oh,,must somewhat embarrassingly admit my ignorance of your greeting, so I looked it up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia_ora

So, now ... mauriora ki, :clap:

Bill

After your next ride, when the header is HOT, wipe with a cotton rag, I used a bath towel. IT took a little effort but worked great for me. My problem was my nylon cargo pants that melted to the heat shield on my new Indian Scout.

Some folks report using SOS pads on cool parts with no damage to the chrome header/heat shields. Seen the chrome is much harder the material used in the SOS pad.

Paul

After your next ride, when the header is HOT, wipe with a cotton rag, I used a bath towel. IT took a little effort but worked great for me. My problem was my nylon cargo pants that melted to the heat shield on my new Indian Scout.

Some folks report using SOS pads on cool parts with no damage to the chrome header/heat shields. Seen the chrome is much harder the material used in the SOS pad.

Paul
I think you mean Scotchbrite pad, the green or blue ones. SOS pads are steel wool with soap embedded.

Don't use the green Scotchbrite pads on the chrome. I grabbed one to clean the header pipe on my V7 III Special, and now have a 2" square scratched area. The blue ones do not scratch.

I think you mean Scotchbrite pad, the green or blue ones. SOS pads are steel wool with soap embedded.
Nope, I mean SOS, lots of soap in those pads help it glide over the chrome and remove the mess ..... as if by magic!!! . Take a look here:

Paul

I’ve had great success with Faultless Hot Iron Cleaner for such gunk on headers (the last offender was a icrofiber cloth just like the OP). After it’s good and hot, dab some of it on a cotton rag as directed, and rub with pressure. It may take a few passes, but will easily wipe away clean. $6 or so on Amazon right now.

I’ve had great success with Faultless Hot Iron Cleaner for such gunk on headers (the last offender was a icrofiber cloth just like the OP). After it’s good and hot, dab some of it on a cotton rag as directed, and rub with pressure. It may take a few passes, but will easily wipe away clean. $6 or so on Amazon right now.

I have recently arrived home after an 11,500Km ride across Oz. My micro-fibre cleaning cloth, which was melted onto one of my headers just before leaving for that ride, is now gone. Both headers are well discoloured, but they look the same as each other. It burnt off!

Sincere thanks to everyone who posted! Lots of useful information here.

My headers are now 99% clean again. I wound up using Easy-off oven cleaner, which is nasty stuff. I didn't spray it on, as I wanted to insure it did not get on any other painted parts, so I dabbed it on, let it do its work, and then rubbed it away with a clean cotton rag. It worked better when the pipes were hot. After much elbow grease, things are back to normal.

Back