• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Transmission & Gear oil

Chadlebowski

Cruisin' Guzzisti
The Stevlio manual specifies 80W 90 for transmission and 85W 90 for the final drive. Is there much difference in these two ratings? Would a trace of one contaminate the other, or is it a practicably negligible difference?

The Stevlio manual specifies 80W 90 for transmission and 85W 90 for the final drive. Is there much difference in these two ratings? Would a trace of one contaminate the other, or is it a practicably negligible difference?

I think you will find that either weight is fine for both. So long as the higher number is 90, you should be good. I've been using fully synthetic 75W90 in my 1100 Breva for years and so far all is good.

Only big difference (other than the cold viscosity) is the gearbox oil is GL5 and the Carc is GL4. Not sure why they spec'd the GL4 since there is no yellow metal that I am aware of but that is what they did. Draw your own conclusions......

Only big difference (other than the cold viscosity) is the gearbox oil is GL5 and the Carc is GL4. Not sure why they spec'd the GL4 since there is no yellow metal that I am aware of but that is what they did. Draw your own conclusions......
API GL-5 is normally specified for hypoid gears (sliding action) or for very heavy loading applications. From the cut-away picture of the CARC on wikipedia, it doesn't look like the pinion gear is offset, so it's probably not a hypoid gear but a spiral gear, hence the reason for GL-4 (GL-5 is not required) or because of yellow metal, as canuck1969 mentioned. Why MG specifies GL-5 for the gearbox I can only guess:
  1. The gears in the gearbox experiences high loads and they need the extra protection a GL-5 will offer (due to the extra EP additives).
  2. GL-5 has a lower coefficient of friction than GL-4, and the MG engineers decided they want to get maximum efficiency out of the gearbox.
  3. There's a hypoid gear inside the gearbox, hopefully not. It is unlikely, since the engine is longitudinal and hence the drive-train up to the drive shaft can make use of parallel shafts.
From https://www.engineersedge.com/gears/gears_lubrication_general.htm:
GL-5 is not necessarily backward-compatible in synchro-mesh transmissions which are designed for a GL-4 oil: GL-5 has a lower coefficient of friction due to the higher concentration of EP additives over GL-4, and thus synchros can not engage as effectively. Also, transmissions which explicitly call for GL-4 oil may have been designed around this lower concentration of EP additives and thus may contain yellow metal parts which GL-5 will corrode.​

In short, without knowing the details of the gearbox and rear drive design, I'd stick to MG's requirements.

API GL-5 is normally specified for hypoid gears (sliding action) or for very heavy loading applications. From the cut-away picture of the CARC on wikipedia, it doesn't look like the pinion gear is offset, so it's probably not a hypoid gear but a spiral gear, hence the reason for GL-4 (GL-5 is not required) or because of yellow metal, as canuck1969 mentioned. Why MG specifies GL-5 for the gearbox I can only guess:
  1. The gears in the gearbox experiences high loads and they need the extra protection a GL-5 will offer (due to the extra EP additives).
  2. GL-5 has a lower coefficient of friction than GL-4, and the MG engineers decided they want to get maximum efficiency out of the gearbox.
  3. There's a hypoid gear inside the gearbox, hopefully not. It is unlikely, since the engine is longitudinal and hence the drive-train up to the drive shaft can make use of parallel shafts.
From https://www.engineersedge.com/gears/gears_lubrication_general.htm:
GL-5 is not necessarily backward-compatible in synchro-mesh transmissions which are designed for a GL-4 oil: GL-5 has a lower coefficient of friction due to the higher concentration of EP additives over GL-4, and thus synchros can not engage as effectively. Also, transmissions which explicitly call for GL-4 oil may have been designed around this lower concentration of EP additives and thus may contain yellow metal parts which GL-5 will corrode.​

In short, without knowing the details of the gearbox and rear drive design, I'd stick to MG's requirements.

Good info !!

Last edited:
If you do some research, you will find that different brand oils of the same grade, say 80W90, have quite different actual viscosities. I take the grade designation with big grain of salt.
The same is the case with engine oils (unfortunately).

Is anyone running Redline Shockproof in their CARC bikes? I ran it for years in my '86 Lemans.

Todd, are you running the heavy or light? Both trans. and bevel box? Thanks for your input.

Back