• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2012 V7 Racer vs 2014 V7 Stone

Poppe

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Hey all,

I want to come to the Guzzi family! I'm currently looking at two different bikes but am so new to MGs that I feel a little lost.

NOTE: I apologize if this has been discussed before, but could find the information I was looking for

The two bikes I'm looking at - 2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer (black tank) and a 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone (Demo Model). Here are my questions and hopefully people can help me with some break downs.

• The Racer with a black tank, does that mean it's a replacement tank or was that an actual stock color? Is there a downside to the black vs the Chrome? I really love the chrome tank but this black tank racer is really beautiful as well. Is the Black metal or is it plastic?
  • I hear a lot of talk about the suspension being better on the Racer which is why I'm really leaning towards it. But is it THAT much better or what are your thoughts on the Stone with an upgraded suspension?
  • What about the differences in seating position, pegs, bars, etc? Are the pegs moved back compared to the stone?
  • Are there any differences between the 2012 and 2014 model years in general?
  • With MGs, what is the break-in period, service intervals, or any things that should be address right away?
  • Is there anything I should watch out for on when looking at a used MG?
  • I see a lot of discussions with MG and getting the ECU updated? Since both are these are from dealers, is it possible to do an update from them or is this something I need to go through a third party like GT-RX?
  • I've seen a few MGs with exhausts that are on the shorter side (don't go all the way to back and point upwards), but it sounds like
  • It seems like Los Angeles has a pretty decent Guzzi mechanical support, but is there any concerns here?
EDIT: I should say, I'm 5'9" and 195 lbs. Is that going to be a problem with either of the suspension setups?

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
Hi Poppe, welcome to the GT Forum.

1. Black tanks were as delivered in the U.S. Should be a metal tank.
2. Suspension is terrible on both, arguably worse on the Racer. At your weight, I highly recommend upgrading both. You can come sample mine on my RentAGuzzi V7 Stone.
3. Sit on both. Stone has bars and lower pegs. Racer is clip-on bars and higher pegs.
4. Yes, big differences mainly in the engines.
5. Service intervals are 6k miles, but the '12 should have the oil checked frequently as they consume oil. Full service on either unless proven recently done would be highly recommended based simply on age.
6. Service history is paramount.
7. ECU map updates at zero cost is worth it, but they will not allow the bike to run well in my experience.
8. I specialize in exhaust, so check the Store link above.
9. None I can mention. Happy to be of help/service.

The 2012 has two throttle bodies and the 2014 has a single throttle body and vastly improved fuel delivery. I had a 2012 Racer and rode it back-to-back with a 2013 single throttle body model. Fuel delivery on the single throttle body is much, much better. Todd pretty much nailed everything else above.

@Poppe: I highly recommend you pay Todd a visit and rent a Guzzi for the day, actually do two half day rentals & ride both a V7 & the Racer. Altho the bikes are basically very similar the ride position is very different & may save you some money down the road. I have purchased "on looks" in the past & then found it was not what I expected & then spent good money re-designing the wheel.

Guzzi's are a great machine & very addictive & most people who own them like to do their own service work, they are a very hands on machine. Todds' rentals are top of the line mechanically & if nothing else you will have the most fun day of your life riding one.

Hi Poppe, welcome to the GT Forum.

1. Black tanks were as delivered in the U.S. Should be a metal tank.
2. Suspension is terrible on both, arguably worse on the Racer. At your weight, I highly recommend upgrading both. You can come sample mine on my RentAGuzzi V7 Stone.
3. Sit on both. Stone has bars and lower pegs. Racer is clip-on bars and higher pegs.
4. Yes, big differences mainly in the engines.
5. Service intervals are 6k miles, but the '12 should have the oil checked frequently as they consume oil. Full service on either unless proven recently done would be highly recommended based simply on age.
6. Service history is paramount.
7. ECU map updates at zero cost is worth it, but they will not allow the bike to run well in my experience.
8. I specialize in exhaust, so check the Store link above.
9. None I can mention. Happy to be of help/service.

Thank you. I'd love to come take a visit to you shop/rental place sometime to check out. That sounds like a great idea to check them out and just to meet you and pick your brain for a second as people talk about you through out all the forums and other MG sites.

The 2012 has two throttle bodies and the 2014 has a single throttle body and vastly improved fuel delivery. I had a 2012 Racer and rode it back-to-back with a 2013 single throttle body model. Fuel delivery on the single throttle body is much, much better. Todd pretty much nailed everything else above.

Very interesting about the dual to single throttle body. Good to know.

@Poppe: I highly recommend you pay Todd a visit and rent a Guzzi for the day, actually do two half day rentals & ride both a V7 & the Racer. Altho the bikes are basically very similar the ride position is very different & may save you some money down the road. I have purchased "on looks" in the past & then found it was not what I expected & then spent good money re-designing the wheel.

Guzzi's are a great machine & very addictive & most people who own them like to do their own service work, they are a very hands on machine. Todds' rentals are top of the line mechanically & if nothing else you will have the most fun day of your life riding one.

Thank you. Really good idea. I'm going to go check out the Stone tomorrow and if the Racer is still available next week, I'll check that out. I originally loved the stone more than the racer actually, but I've always liked riding more crouched and feet back then upright with feet flat or forward which is why I suddenly started thinking maybe Racer. But a the black Stone is really gorgeous and subtle which is more my style. I'm still far from making a decision (since I haven't sat on or ever driven a MG), but it definitely seems like a newer Stone might be the way to go and then modify the rider position down the road if I want.

dual throttle body engines have older design pistons and to my ear sound nicer, later single throttle body engines are nicer to ride but sound harsher

I’m considering a 2012 V7. 3500 miles, good condition. The right pipes smokes white a bit, the left has no smoke at operating temperature. Any feedback much appreciated

Back