• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

What the Hell?

Kubbie

Tuned and Synch'ed
Went to go for a ride this morning. Bike started up fine, but about a mile and it started missing.
Left cylinder is showing nearly 100F difference in temp at the header.

Guessing the coil/plug got wet when I washed it monday. Had to break out the VTX to finish the ride.

Attachments

• 20181208_055848.jpg
    20181208_055848.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 29
One reason I don't wash my bikes very often. When I do I shake them, leaned all the way over on each side and then the air hose comes out to blow off the water, spark plug caps off & blow them out too. Then I start them & go for short ride to make sure water has all dried up. Later I might polish & wax.
Looks like your cat is glowing, do you think it's still good?

One reason I don't wash my bikes very often. When I do I shake them, leaned all the way over on each side and then the air hose comes out to blow off the water, spark plug caps off & blow them out too. Then I start them & go for short ride to make sure water has all dried up. Later I might polish & wax.
Looks like your cat is glowing, do you think it's still good?
When I washed it I blew it off with air hose, dried it, ran it, cooled down, put fan on it covered it the next day.
Hope thr cars goid but time for new pipe if not.

Guzzis are allergic to water. Spray or pressurized is even worse. I used to sell a No Rinse wash (none of my products sold well, so I stopped offering them).
Only rinse heavy road grime areas of the lower motor. If you ride in the wet or wash often, watch/service your swingarm and suspension bearings frequently.
With modern products, you can keep a clean bike without a hose.
Give it some time... the cat-con is fine. It was burning the unspent fuel.

I wash my bikes with water and then blow them dry with a leaf blower. I've never had any issues.
Others have. :D

I too have over the years... even gentle spray on my Cal 11, V11S and the Grisos caused running issues. I developed a rinseless cleaner, and that's what I use mostly, unless my rental bikes come back after being ridden in the rain and/or dirt roads.

Guzzis are allergic to water. Spray or pressurized is even worse. I used to sell a No Rinse wash (none of my products sold well, so I stopped offering them).
Only rinse heavy road grime areas of the lower motor. If you ride in the wet or wash often, watch/service your swingarm and suspension bearings frequently.
With modern products, you can keep a clean bike without a hose.
Give it some time... the cat-con is fine. It was burning the unspent fuel.

Yep been saying that for the last few years, and its why I don't hose off any of my bikes, only lower half tires and wheels. The rest I dry or damp wash with wet cloths and quick detailers. Its not just Guzzi's, but Triumphs are also allergic to water. I've had 5 of them over the last eight years. Seems with the electronics on todays bike, they are not as water hardy as the bikes of old that didn't have all the electronics. 2013 Triumph Bonneville ridden in its only rain storm took two days to dry out before it would restart. 2013 Triumph Trophy SE same thing, and that's using a gas leaf blower and air compressor to rid the excess water from the bikes. This could be prevented during the manufacturing process by properly protecting the ECM, fuse boxes, coils and wires and such. But I think either they don't care or, the engineers and designers are just too stupid......

I've never, ever had a such problems with any bike, and I use (judiciously) a high pressure spray. A little circumspection with the water probably helps.

Yep been saying that for the last few years, and its why I don't hose off any of my bikes, only lower half tires and wheels. The rest I dry or damp wash with wet cloths and quick detailers. Its not just Guzzi's, but Triumphs are also allergic to water. I've had 5 of them over the last eight years. Seems with the electronics on todays bike, they are not as water hardy as the bikes of old that didn't have all the electronics. 2013 Triumph Bonneville ridden in its only rain storm took two days to dry out before it would restart. 2013 Triumph Trophy SE same thing, and that's using a gas leaf blower and air compressor to rid the excess water from the bikes. This could be prevented during the manufacturing process by properly protecting the ECM, fuse boxes, coils and wires and such. But I think either they don't care or, the engineers and designers are just too stupid......
That's funny. As I started reading this the thought that went thru my mind was "except Triumphs, they were made in the rain". Only one time did I have a water issue with either of my Triumphs. After 2 hours of near 80mph speeds in hurricane type rain did I have a problem. Plug well #2 filled with water on the TT600.
But back to the M/G, btw I have named it "the turkey". I have spark at the coil. But plug is wet/fouled so gonna order a pair if plugs.

May be the original caps or wires if you haven't swapped them out yet, just a matter of time w/stock and the heat from motor.

Old British cars with Lucas electrics, like the MG were notorious for failing the moment a drop of rain fell.
Way back when, I was driving my Triumph Spitfire down the road in the rain. I came to a section of road that was lightly flooded (maybe 4 - 6 inches of water tops). I drove through it as slowly as I could, trying to keep the water out of things. Alas, on the other side of the flooded road section I came to a stop with a dead engine. I pulled up behind an E Type Jag that had the same issue. There we both were with our bonnets flipped up, trying to dry out the important bits. I was so proud of my little Spitfire when she fired back up before the Jag did. He looked down on my cheap British car when I pulled up, so I had a big smile as I drove off in my cheap British car while he was still struggling with his fine British automobile.

May be the original caps or wires if you haven't swapped them out yet, just a matter of time w/stock and the heat from motor.
Just found some paperwork, 2 H.T. cables were replaced under warranty back in February.

So the problems with all this cylinder missing crap is just the plug wire getting wet and shorting out?

I will bet they saw the clear goo that comes out of them. I think it's silicone. It continues till one day it sparks to the head cover.
I have one customer that still has his stock wires at 28K mi and he rode back from NY through a hurricane, never missed a beat.
Another 8V customer w/same mileage started to get a miss at idle. Same clear goo, I swapped his out w/NGK caps, miss gone.
I could not find a spot from arcing. But, it's not missed a beat since.

OK guys. I've been searching for the last hour and can't find the NGK number for the plug caps that everyone uses to replace the original caps.
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Man thanks!! I tried all kinds of word combination, just not that exact one.
Got it stored in my list o' parts to remrmber list now.

To close up this post.
Since the bike is still under warranty, I said "screw it, they can fix it" and dropped it off on 19th. Picked it up this morning. Service writer said they replaced the ECU.
Didn't get around to asking the tech what was actually done. But, its done so I'm happy.
NO MORE BATHS FOR THIS ONE!

You know Guzzi makes a cover for the ECU. It came out as a fix for the Stelvio. Don't know if it would fit up under steering head on a G but it's an idea.

Back