• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Service Error in Middle of Trip_looking for mystical advice

CBJoe

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello Folks....looking for some mystical advice on an issue. I realize this is like shooting blind in the dark, but I thought to try.

I'm currently on a roadtrip from Indiana to Colorado and back and currently in Taos, NM. Closest dealer on my way back is looking like Tulsa, OK. Brookside Motorcycle Company. I called them and they will read the code for me if I stop by. They're about 10 hour away.

I have had an issue since last year where if I turn the key to ON but don't start the bike and turn the handlebars side to side I get an urgent service error. I read the code back then and it was P0155 (the Throttle Pot issue). Discussed my issue here last year...I never fully resolved. And of course I didn't bring my dang TR Alaris module to read the code now :(

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/th...-demand-sensor-for-cali-14.17584/#post-133441

However, this problem has NEVER happened after starting the bike or during operation. Ever....till now.

I was riding over a mild mountain pass and look down and the urgent service message is on and essentially in Limp Mode. I got to a stopping point and did 2 back to back key ON and Start and the error cleared. About an hour later it happened again.

The only thing that I noticed was the LIVE MPG reading on the display. If I'm crusin' along at 70 in 5th or 6th gear I'm usually somewhere bouncing between 38 and 45 MPG.

When I checked it this time it was bouncing between 57 and 65MPG! and this was crusing at 65/70mph.

I'm going to go out later and just do a cursory check over on the bike to see if anything obvious is seen. Plan is to continue to ride it until I get to a shop that can read the code.

Any thoughts on things to check or the MPG reading above?

Regards, Joe

What I'm also curious of is there is any chance that something easy like a defective spark plug or dirty MAF sensor (or whatever its called on the guzzi) could cause an Urgent Service message. Hard to tell without the actual code....but just thinking ahead on some things.

I've put about 2400 hard miles on the bike in the last week and a half.

Only other thing I can think to mention is that the Idle does seem rougher than it used to be. I had some occurrences on the way out with it dying at startup. but I had attributed it to bad gas. That starting issue hasn't occurred since last week and I never got an error when that happened.

Last edited:
If I had to guess (and that is what it is) sounds like a loose connection in the wiring loom to the handlebar switches. You said when you turned the bars you can get the error. To me that is a sign. May be the ride by wire harness Check for loose wires. Wiggle the hell out of the wires and see what comes up. With a ride by wire issue it will produce those issues.

If I had to guess (and that is what it is) sounds like a loose connection in the wiring loom to the handlebar switches. You said when you turned the bars you can get the error. To me that is a sign. May be the ride by wire harness Check for loose wires. Wiggle the hell out of the wires and see what comes up. With a ride by wire issue it will produce those issues.

Hey canuck....I've tried that many times. I just went out of the hotel and tried again to no avail :( Tried manipulating both the throttle cables and the wire bundle running from the switches to the point where they disappear under the tank.

I'll play around some more a bit later. I'm hesitant to push it too hard so I dont end up stranded.

Joe

Agreed. Any chance it was raining when it happened or shortly after.

Nope...but it was HOT

I'm cursing myself for not bringing my TR Alaris module. I normally don't ride with a laptop..so it's pretty useless without a PC. but this time I brought my laptop :( would have been nice to see what the error is. Damn you Guzzi for having such sparse US Service Capabilities.

When you turn the handlebars, any chance you are stretching the cables and pulling the potentiometer out of calibrated range - just a thought

I don't believe so...but obviously that particular issue which produced the P0155 Error last year is associated with the Throttle Control Unit. I will be planning to replace it.

Wish I could tell if this error which has occurred during operation (while not turning handlebars) is the same. I can confirm the latest occurrence while riding the handlebars were NOT being moved. So it could be a totally different issue.

Joe

This may be a silly question, but does anyone know if these engines have a temp sensor that will throw a temp warning on the dash if the engine is overheating.

Heading back across the plains today towards Tulsa and then Indiana. Was thinking about what I will do if the code keeps popping up but the bike sounds and feels ok....if i'll just keep riding it home or throw it into a u-haul.

I'm slightly worried if something is super wrong and the engine is overheating that I'll damage something.

I am almost positive that the error is the same p0155 as i had before with the demand sensor. I am reproduce that error pretty easy now when the bike is on but not started. Just not when running so far.

Going to be swinging through Tulsa and will try and get error code read by guzzi shop there.

Regards, Joe

Last edited:
Unless you are in gridlock traffic and idling for extended periods, and the oil cooler fan is dead, overheating is unlikely to be an issue. When my 1400 acted like this earlier this year, it was P0155, and after clearing it when I got home, it hasn't returned. My understanding is that if the problem is recurring after having been cleared, then replacement of the TBW unit is a good idea. The sensitivity of the TBW unit is a safety factor to prevent wild throttle openings. Seems it can get too touchy for its own good.

Stephen

So far so good....made it to the Brookside Motorcycle Company in Tulsa...the local guzzi Dealer.

They were absolutely fantastic there and just had me roll the bike directly in the shop. Their main tech there hooked the bike up to pads and played around for a while. He found some confusing readings associated with the throttle control and the clutch switch signal. Ended up clearing all errors from memory, reset the CPU(I think) and re-taught the throttle. After that all was working and reading properly and I couldn’t reproduce the issue again.

Going to monitor it the rest of the way home and see how it behaves.

Joe

Back