• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2017 V7 III Check Engine Light

[QUOTE="Godfrey, post: 144231That said, the O2 sensor triggering an indicator is still not a critical engine problem ... :)

That's the problem. There's no way to tell what is triggering the check engine light if it's always on. Maybe it's the 02 sensor.

Maybe there's another problem that has manifested that is also triggering it, but since it's always on, would never be addressed. That's the issue to me.

If the light was only for the 02 sensor that would be one thing (still needs to be fixed though), but it isn't. It could be for a number of things in the engine.[/QUOTE]

You said you'd been to the dealer at least once for this issue already. Didn't they check system messages?
The likelihood that the light is lit for anything else is extremely low. You worry too much.

Good luck.

You said you'd been to the dealer at least once for this issue already. Didn't they check system messages?
The likelihood that the light is lit for anything else is extremely low. You worry too much.

Good luck.
Yes, but that's not the issue. How am I, or anyone, to know that the check engine light is still just the 02 sensor and not something else? If another issue comes up that would flash the check engine light, and I'm just assuming it's still the 02 sensor...

See where I'm going? To be safe I'd have to plug the bike in to a scanner every time the light comes on just to make sure it is still just the 02 sensor and not some other issue, like a loose wire on the fuel injector or any other issue that would cause the 02 light to flash.

It's not worry. It's the fact that I bought a brand new motorcycle that continues to have a problem.

If you bought a brand new car would you accept that it's just a check engine light and 02 sensor and not insist that the dealer fix it no matter what?

I see where you are. I disagree. I don't worry that much.

... If you bought a brand new car would you accept that it's just a check engine light and 02 sensor and not insist that the dealer fix it no matter what?

That's exactly what I did: Bought a brand new Toyota MR2 in 1985, found that the Check Engine indicator came on and off occasionally. Brought it to the dealer, found it was the O2 sensor being fussy, and ignored it for the next 150,000 miles. Never had a problem with it, or the dealer.

When another dealer (later, after I'd moved from SoCal to SFBay area) failed to fix the idle circuit properly after three attempts and $2200 (not documented by the engine computer at all, but easily observed with a tachometer and vacuum gauge on the intake manifold), I shouted bloody murder to Toyota regional, then national, distributors. They sent a proper tech, who in twenty minutes analyzed the problem, replaced a $12 part that was defective, and refunded the excess $2100 back to me. That dealer went out of business a half a year later, business bought by another guy who's done a much better job since.

There are critical problems and there's stupid stuff. I don't sweat the stupid stuff. :)

I'd never accept something that is supposed to work, but doesn't work correctly, when I have paid my hard earned money for it. If you give me a car or bike for free with a check engine light I'd throw a scanner on it, see what it is, and then ignore it.

But not if I paid for it. If I pay for something it should be right. If someone sells something it should be correct.

MG has already admitted to the dealer, and to others in this thread, that the CEL and faulty 02Sensor is a known defect which requires them to redo the exhausts on newer models, but thus far hasn't resulted in a recall. Maybe because too many people are simply liviing with it ;)

That's the no 1 issue. A secondary minor issue is it definitely affects resale. If I needed to sell the bike for whatever reason a CEL is going to significantly reduce the price someone would pay, which means it costs me money. I would get $1000 or more less than someone with the exact same bike if the other one doesn't have a CEL.

I just went through months of sorting out a 1996 Land Rover with a recurring CEL. Replaced plugs, wires, resealed the entire intake, replaced fuel injectors, the fuel filter, and the cap, all just to get the CEL from recurring so I could sell it in perfect condition - got a premium for it, too, since it may be the only Discovery 1 without a CEL flashing ;)

I'm going to bow out of this conversation until I hear back from Piaggio - for some reason it has gotten antagonistic it seems, as though someone who expects something to work correctly is in the wrong. I mean for a rider support forum, there seems to be an idea from some that anyone who wants something to be fixed is wrong and should just live with it...some of the responses "oh quite intimidating" when I was simply pointing out I'm not a n00b to bikes and not simply overreacting about a stupid light are downright antagonistic - for what reason? To side with a company selling a faulty product over a buyer who is paying for it and wants it fixed?

I'll post updates for anyone else who also has this issue as I get them.

Last edited:
So if you re-map a V7, and the new map does not use the O2 Sensors, are the O2 Sensors "turned off"? Or just ignored? Wondering, if this remap was done, would that bike still have check engine light due to O2 Sensors or would it then ignore it?

Basically, is there a way to tell the ECU to just ignore the O2 sensors all together?

So if you re-map a V7, and the new map does not use the O2 Sensors, are the O2 Sensors "turned off"? Or just ignored?

The O2 sensors are not turned off, just ignored.

Wondering, if this remap was done, would that bike still have check engine light due to O2 Sensors or would it then ignore it?

It wouldn't normally ignore the O2 sensors unless specifically programmed not to check it.

Basically, is there a way to tell the ECU to just ignore the O2 sensors all together?

This is the normal method. Unless of course a power commander is employed where the O2 sensors are replaced with wide-band versions, and connected to the power commander, not the ECU.

Again, not sure about our V7 III's, but with my KTM 990 and TuneECU, you can turn off the O2 Sensors and then you get no more codes from them. You can remove them and no ECU code from that. Or leave them in and no codes from them. Not sure if the V7 ECU has such a setting.

Well ignoring all the "advice" about how I should just live with the light because it's not harming anything, went back to the dealer, they went to Piaggio and Piaggio sent a new right-hand down pipe and new sensors. Re-checked valve clearances and no codes in 200+ miles.

So there -is- a fix for this issue if your bike is having it and the repair was free (I'm under warranty).

Or you can live with a check engine light on a brand new motorcycle if you choose. I didn't.

And the saga continues.

The shop put 200 miles on the bike. No codes. I put 20 on it and it flashed again. So I took it back. They have been on the phone with Piaggio, have had Piaggio take over their computers and run diagnostics and are putting in a new ECU and other stuff.

This is the 5th time it's been in the shop and the shop has put more miles on it than I have. No fix this time and I'm demanding a refund/replace with something else.

Enough is enough Piaggio/Moto-Guzzi.

New ECU, new throttle body, the exhaust downpipe was previously done, etc, etc

And it's back in the shop because the check engine light is back on. Came on 20 miles after getting it out of the shop.

MG is all over it, they plug into to the shop's computers and do all the diagnostics themselves, still no worky.

So, when is the replacement bike coming for you? Either the dash or wiring, that's all that's left.

Yeah not sure. I didn't even take it to the shop this time, when I called saying it was back on they sent a truck for the hour trip to get it.

The account rep or whatever is out of town but I told the shop to tell them I don't want the bike - not sure what is going to happen next.

The do have an unsold 2016 Griso on the showroom floor at the dealer that I've been eyeing, wonder if I can trade! I don't want to screw anyone or drag this out or social media shame any manufacturer or any of that. I just want to ride!

Last edited:
New owner here. My first bike, a V7iii carbon shine (2018).

Got the bike last week. When delivered, had a dead battery, would not start. They told me to get a battery charger and that would fix it. Put it on the charger, and next day started up and everything seamed fine. Put 15 miles on it, no problems. A couple days later, went on first “long ride”. At about 70 miles, it just stopped (while at a light). Wouldn’t restart. Called Automobile club, they came out and jumped the bike, battery was reading 11 volts.

Emailed dealer and they would send out new battery. Fast forward to today, battery arrives, I checked voltage (12.6 volts) and put it in the bike. Hooked up battery tender to double check and was green after a few minutes.

Started up the bike and check engine light came on. I checked the oil, brake fluid, and electrical connections. Couldn’t find anything wrong. Display didn’t show any faults. Took it out for a ride and bike ran normally, but check engine light remained on. All fuses are good. When I opened the fuel tank there was a rush of air, but that didn’t reset the CEL.

I will call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. Bike has only 115 miles on it. Hopefully it is just the O2 sensors, and they can fix it quickly. So far, not the first bike experience I was looking for.

That's poor dealer prep for sure. They should have made sure the battery was good.

They never could figure out why mine constantly tripped the CEL.

I got a brand spanking new 0 mile 2016 Griso 1200 SE for the same price as my V7 so I'm happy.

My Check Engine Light came on this morning. I was ablt to plugged in the GT-Rx Flash Tool, read the codes and cleared them away.

P0150 - Lambda probe shorted to positive/circuit, shorted to negative
P0130 - Lambda probe shorted to positive/circuit, shorted to negative
P1607 - Engine control unit / internal circuit malfunction

This was not my first CEL. It came on last week and once more back in February. It was not raining, just early morning in California when the air was cold and damp. On both occasions, I unplugged the battery for 5 minutes and restarted the bike, the CEL was still ON. But on the third to fourth attempt, it would go away. I have ridden my bike in the rain or parked it in the rain and it would not throw a code. Regardless, the bike still runs fine, etc.

I managed to clear the codes for the time being. In the near future, I plan on getting the GP Megs slip-on exhaust, K&N air filter, SAS air block kit, and ECU reflash from Todd. I am on the fence as to whether replace the sensors, or leave them as they are since the new reflash will ignore the O2 sensors (can anyone confirm this?)

Update. Today the bike fired right up and no check engine light.
Since 2017, the CEL seems to randomly go on/off when the bikes are new. 2017 models had a poorly placed 02-sensor on the left header pipe, which was supposedly rectified by 2018.
Andy, again, you are a few miles from one of the best shops in the U.S. Hope to get your business, as no one knows them better than I (largely because of my rental fleet and wrenching them all of the time.) Only thing we can't do is warranty work direct, but I've helped dozens with warranty issues.

Back