• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Water in final drive oil.

Willo

Just got it firing!
Hi guys,
Re my V7 II Stone 2016, at 9,000kms.
In replacing the original Pirelli Sport Demons (now trying Bridgestone BT45's) I've dropped out the final drive unit with the wheel and found the oil is emulsified from water intrusion. The oil/water mix has also blown through the oil seal and forward into the swing arm/drive shaft interior. Bike is still under warranty so I will go down that track tomorrow, but would be interested to know if anyone else has had a similar experience?
Incidentally I'm new to the Guzzi family, excepting for the little Stornello 160 I owned for a short time back in the late 70's.

just noticed your post here.

I personally do not have water in my final drive but I know a lot of friends in Asia do as they ride in the rain a lot.

Basically from what I was told, it is due to some flexing of the final drive that some water will leaks in.

From what I had been told is just make sure the shafts are lubricated (some came without) and make sure the bolts are nicely torqued up.

Unless someone else here have more magical solutions, I am all ear.

Yep I had water in the swing arm and contamination of the final drive oil after my very very wet attempt at the Scottish north coast 500. I changed the oil twice and cleaned and regreased the drive shaft and forgave it as the conditions on that trip were bad but otherwise the V7 stone ran faultless. Steve.

I just did the second service on my V7 III at 5800 miles. my final drive had water in it and that's a bunch of BS! I had ridden about 250 in heavy rains but that's no excuse. anybody figured out where it's coming in from?

Two ways for water to appear in the rear drive. A split in the bellows by the gerabox, or it is sucking in moisture from the vent as the rear drive cools.

Hi guys,
Re my V7 II Stone 2016, at 9,000kms.
In replacing the original Pirelli Sport Demons (now trying Bridgestone BT45's) I've dropped out the final drive unit with the wheel and found the oil is emulsified from water intrusion. The oil/water mix has also blown through the oil seal and forward into the swing arm/drive shaft interior. Bike is still under warranty so I will go down that track tomorrow, but would be interested to know if anyone else has had a similar experience?
Incidentally I'm new to the Guzzi family, excepting for the little Stornello 160 I owned for a short time back in the late 70's.

I remember that PR mentioned this topic in an earlier posting.
https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/rain-testing-the-stock-carc-vent-myth-busting.9204/page-2

well time has told! I just put the bike up for a 4 month nap. Arizona here I come. the rear end had pretty creamy looking gear oil in it again and at best I gently washed it once and can't remember riding in the rain since the last change. Unfortunately when I moved last year I threw away all my old banjos because after all who is going to reuse one of them. Now I have to round one up and try that for a vent.

I made this for gearbox and final drive. Cheap Ebay brake hose cut in two. And two M10x1. 5 banjo screw.

Attachments

• DSC_1076~2.JPG
    DSC_1076~2.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 56
Similar to the system I put on older smallblocks years ago, I put a barb fitting in and a hose up to center frame under tank, mostly for oil coming out of the 5 speed and getting on top of box.

revival time. I finally got a whole 11 miles of rain and about 20 of wet roads after the below fix. pure sour cream again. the vent on the top is wide open clear. you can blow through it without any pressure.
now after last time I looked for leaks below at the boot and see no oil. however in true money saving measure they used a zip tie for the front clamp instead of the nice metal clamp on my 2015 V7. no normal metal clamps are to be found at 5 different auto parts and a appliance store. I did discover that a nice one time use clamp for a CV joint works great. i pulled back the front boot where it goes onto the rear of the transmission and cleaned it as good as possible. then i used gasket maker to help seal it and put it back together and let it cure. now there is a tiny spot of oil where the bottom of the boot is in the front so the silicone didn't do as well as i expected but there is still no excuse for the leak. if the 2015 doesn't and most others don't why is this one.

so after changing the oil today and taking a nice mountain ride I got to thinking, scary I know. anyway when I got home I pulled the vent from the 2015 and it seems to have a valve in it. when screwing a rubber hose over the threads you can blow through it but there is a tiny bit of pressure needed to do it. no pressure is needed on the 17. so maybe it never had a check valve in it.
What would really help is if someone with a 17-18 would pull theirs out an see if it free flowing or if a bit of pressure is needed. I've never had water in the 15 but then again I'm not sure it's ever been in the rain. so far it's spent it's life in Az. Thanks in advance.

so after changing the oil today and taking a nice mountain ride I got to thinking, scary I know. anyway when I got home I pulled the vent from the 2015 and it seems to have a valve in it. when screwing a rubber hose over the threads you can blow through it but there is a tiny bit of pressure needed to do it. no pressure is needed on the 17. so maybe it never had a check valve in it.
What would really help is if someone with a 17-18 would pull theirs out an see if it free flowing or if a bit of pressure is needed. I've never had water in the 15 but then again I'm not sure it's ever been in the rain. so far it's spent it's life in Az. Thanks in advance.

Interesting, Steve.

I will have my V7 in the Atlanta greater blob this Wednesday, and will be riding in the area through the following Monday. Maybe we can get together to check mine?

I am embarrassed to report that I'll be trailering the V7 down there, but, in my whiny defense am compelled to add that I am hauling some excess of our excess furniture to my brother who just bought a second home in Hiawassee.

Anyway, email (wrhaganATearthlink.net), text (404.8ZERO8.848SIX), or call (ditto) if you have time to mess with mine to see how it compares to yours. I now have 4K+ on it. Not sure how much work is needed to get a look.

Bill

Back