• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Getting the "SERVICE URGENT" error code

Glenn Thorpe

Tuned and Synch'ed
Today I got the "SERVICE URGENT" with flashing general warning light error code. And the "ride home mode" has kicked in. Turned the ignition off and restarted a few times but it would not go away. Unfortunately I have no way to read the error code myself.

The bike is a 2016 1400 Eldorado with about 1600 miles. I have had zero problems with the bike. I bought it from the original owner in December and he said the warranty was good until Aug'2018.

Can someone recommend a good shop in the Phoenix area that does warranty work on Guzzi's? Also how can I verify the warranty has not expired?

Thanks,
Glenn

It would be nice to know the error code(s), but since you don't have any diagnostic equipment, I can't advise where you should start to look. Perhaps a dealer is your only option as it stands.

When the "SERVICE" icon appeared on my 1400 Custom a year or so ago, it took me six weeks to find the problem. In my case it was a clutch switch issue, and despite knowing the error code (P0745), it was not listed in the service manual or available from any dealers that I asked.

If everything else appears to be in order, it might be worth a try to check this switch. Note it is a single pole, double throw type, so you need to check both sides of the switch.

Kiwi Dave, Thanks for the advice. I'll need to get a tool like the TR Alaris to read error codes.

After I got home from work I turned the ignition on and got a "SERVICE" icon without the "URGENT". After starting the bike the "SERVICE " icon went away and no flashing general warning light. Rode around the block and restarted the bike several times and the problem did not reappear.
I'm happy it's back to normal but it will be hard to have the dealer diagnose & fix it under warranty without the issue present.

I'll remember to check the clutch switch if this happens again and I get a P0745. I read another post about a "SERVICE URGENT" issues with error code P0155 that turned out to be caused by a loose TPS terminal.

Since my last post the error went away and didn't reappear until a few weeks ago. I get the "URGENT SERVICE" warning with flashing red light and sometimes just "SERVICE" with steady red light. It will go usually away after tuning the ignition on/off a few times and the bike runs great.

I read the stored codes and got P0155 and P0611. I was able to clear the P0155 but the P0611 wouldn't clear even when the bike is running well without a "SERVICE" message.

Does anyone know what the codes indicate? is there a likely culprit I should be checking on?

P0155 -Throttle Grip Position Redundancy tracks C-D inconsistent signal

P0611 -Data File Saved (for safety) Filled

I'm suspecting it might be in the throttle itself. The later models are different than what I am familiar with, so I'm not much help. Hopefully, others might chime in.

OK, here ya go, the P0155 could be a fluke, you can get this by not waiting for the ECU to read the throttle sensor numbers when you turn the key to on.
The P0611 will stay until the data in the file is downloaded. Quote from service manual---
Deletion enabled only if the file is downloaded after setting KEY ON.

From what I read, you have to wait 3 seconds after turning key on to start the bike OR watch the tail lite, it comes on after ECU check.

Go to your dealer and he'll download the file, it will say what happened in the file. Hopefully the dealer knows how to use PADS and has it all updated.

If you want to understand your bike better get a service manual, it's in the download section here.

Last edited:
Yes, I've thought that it could also be a fluke. I first got the "service urgent" warning in May on and off for a few weeks, then didn't see it again until a few weeks ago and it's happening intermittently.

The "service urgent" warning only appears when tuning the ignition on. It's never comes on when the bike is running normally.

The "service urgent" warning will go away only after turning the ignition off and then on again - eventually. It may take several cycles to reset.

The bike runs great when no warning is appearing.

I wish I knew how to get rid of this issue. Other than this the bike is fantastic.

Today I got the "SERVICE URGENT" with flashing general warning light error code. And the "ride home mode" has kicked in. Turned the ignition off and restarted a few times but it would not go away. Unfortunately I have no way to read the error code myself.

The bike is a 2016 1400 Eldorado with about 1600 miles. I have had zero problems with the bike. I bought it from the original owner in December and he said the warranty was good until Aug'2018.

Can someone recommend a good shop in the Phoenix area that does warranty work on Guzzi's? Also how can I verify the warranty has not expired?

Thanks,
Glenn
My bike, a 2014 California Touring, had the same problem as my buddy and I were heading into New Mexico. Fortunately, my service light cleared after several restarts but it was still acting up. There are no Guzzi dealers in New Mexico so I contacted Powersports Outlet in Prescott AZ. They tried to help me over the phone but I ended up bringing it in. Matt at Powersports ran a diagnostics (PADS) and it turned out that at my last service, the shop in Long Beach overfilled my oil. The oil got into the airbox, saturated the filter, and fouled the sensor. Powersports got me back on the road in no time. So, if you still need a reputable shop, I highly recommend this shop.

My bike, a 2014 California Touring, had the same problem as my buddy and I were heading into New Mexico. Fortunately, my service light cleared after several restarts but it was still acting up. There are no Guzzi dealers in New Mexico so I contacted Powersports Outlet in Prescott AZ. They tried to help me over the phone but I ended up bringing it in. Matt at Powersports ran a diagnostics (PADS) and it turned out that at my last service, the shop in Long Beach overfilled my oil. The oil got into the airbox, saturated the filter, and fouled the sensor. Powersports got me back on the road in no time. So, if you still need a reputable shop, I highly recommend this shop.

Thanks for the tip. Since there is no longer a Guzzi dealer in the Phoenix area I was thinking about taking it up to Prescott if this problem persists.

The error code was P0217, sensor pressure dif. error.

Interesting, thanks for that. I have error code P0217 listed as "Manifold pressure too low error (signal not valid)". I assume we're talking about the same sensor. Did the excess oil saturate the air filter in the manifold?

Yes, I've thought that it could also be a fluke. I first got the "service urgent" warning in May on and off for a few weeks, then didn't see it again until a few weeks ago and it's happening intermittently.

The "service urgent" warning only appears when tuning the ignition on. It's never comes on when the bike is running normally.

The "service urgent" warning will go away only after turning the ignition off and then on again - eventually. It may take several cycles to reset.

The bike runs great when no warning is appearing.

I wish I knew how to get rid of this issue. Other than this the bike is fantastic.

Sometimes sensors go bad and it's not a fluke. You could always get an aftermarket warranty if you don't want to buy a part.

Interesting, thanks for that. I have error code P0217 listed as "Manifold pressure too low error (signal not valid)". I assume we're talking about the same sensor. Did the excess oil saturate the air filter in the manifold?
Yes; they had to replace the air filter. In all, they removed about a half cup of oil including what was removed from the air box.

I still haven't figured out the cause of the "SERVICE URGENT" error code. It had been intermittent, only appearing every few months.

Lately there is a definite pattern.
1). After starting the bike to go to work it shows "SERVICE URGENT", red light flashing and in limp mode.
2). turn off the ignition and restart it, then it shows "SERVICE" with steady on red light, ride to work (not on limp mode).
3). Get to work then turn the ignition off and on again, restart and "SERVICE" shows for a few seconds then goes away and all is good.

I consistently get a P0155 code.

Any advice on what could be wrong?

We lost the last Guzzi dealer in Phoenix last summer while the bike was still under warranty and I just haven't had time to bring it to the dealers in Tucson or Prescott since then.

I still haven't figured out the cause of the "SERVICE URGENT" error code. It had been intermittent, only appearing every few months.

Lately there is a definite pattern.
1). After starting the bike to go to work it shows "SERVICE URGENT", red light flashing and in limp mode.
2). turn off the ignition and restart it, then it shows "SERVICE" with steady on red light, ride to work (not on limp mode).
3). Get to work then turn the ignition off and on again, restart and "SERVICE" shows for a few seconds then goes away and all is good.

I consistently get a P0155 code.

Any advice on what could be wrong?

We lost the last Guzzi dealer in Phoenix last summer while the bike was still under warranty and I just haven't had time to bring it to the dealers in Tucson or Prescott since then.

I'm no wrench, so take this as simple advice. It's probably going to be costly either way. I'd rather spend it on knowing the actual failure. I'd be curious if the ECU is good? Based on no physical issues present, oil, water etc. You've laid out a cycle for each time you're riding. To me that means the ECU isn't processing new data, until electricity is cut and re-applied. I'd pull the diags, diagnosis them or have them reviewed by knowledgeable MG wrench, go forward with their discovery or possibly look at re-flashing the ECU. My 2 cents, the ECU firmware/software is corrupted. If the same issues occur after the flash, fall back to the wrench recommendation(s).

Back