• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Buying '09 1200 Breva ???

Gary Taylor

Just got it firing!
Hi guys looking to buy my first Guzzi . Probably a 2009 1200 Breva

A few questions before I jump in at the deep end

1. What have others done with having problems reaching the side stand. I'm 5' 7" & short of leg. Just manage to reach the side stand.

2. Thinking of fitting a Westmoreland lowering block. Have you noticed any difference in the handling. Or have you also fitted lowering springs to the front forks.

3. Apart from the bodywork is there any difference between Breva & the Norge

Looking forward to your comments

Cheers from Downunder

Not sure of a lowering block would work with the linkage at the rear, but a shorter shock should. Contact Todd for more details. Whatever amount you lower the rear, you need to lower the front the same amount. Raising the fork tubes is the way to lower the front. It may take some machine work as the handle bar risers (if equipped) are the stop for the fork tubes. I'm not familiar with the 2009 model as it wasn't imported to the US.

guzziloweringkit-stroke.png
Griso-before-and-after-lowering-kit-new.png

Westmoreland
Lowering kit. Lowers rear by 30 mm

30mm drop is quite a bit. I'm not sure if you can match that at the front. If you can get close to the 30mm without the front fender hitting you may be OK.

I've been trying to reach Westmoreland. Are they closed for the holidays? The phone is not being answered and their e-mail is being bounced. My query to them is as follows:

"I heard about your lowering kit on the GuzziTech forum and have the following questions:
"(1) can it be installed on my 2012 Norge?
"(2) I read where the front forks should be raised to match 30mm rear height change: can this be accommodated with the stock Norge handlebars?
"(3) what is the delivery time for the kit -- weeks, months or per-production run; I'm not in a hurry -- this is for planning its installation by GTM in Orange, CA? But if it is available now and it can be installed on my 2012 Norge I will order it today.
"Thank you, Robert Calland 619-319-0974 (smartphone)"

Gary -- have you been able to reach Westmoreland?

Hi Bert . I'm yet to try and contact Westmoreland. Have just seen their link advertised. And was interested. Would solve my problem of short legs .
Also the link lowers the bike. If fitted without lowering the front forks to match . This would have the effect of raking the forks out & slowing down the steering . I think ?? Would be the same as having a heavy pillion passenger & loaded up with gear on the back.
Gary

Last edited:
Gary -- we could open our wallets wider and get both lower seat height and improved handling: https://gtmotocycles.com/collections/suspension/products/norgebreva-monoshock-ke

"A shorter shock to lower seat height is available for no additional charge."

I'm not there yet.

Ouch . And then by the time I have it sent to Australia . Double ouch.

I have this option in Australia
store.suspensionshop.org/moto-guzzi/1200/2000-2009/sb-mo06-1200-norge-06-17-1200-norge-hyperpro-street-box.html
Or this for springs only.
store.suspensionshop.org/moto-guzzi/1200/2000-2009/spck-mo06-1200-norge-06-09-1200-norge-hyperpro-springs-combination.html
That is if Norge & Breva are the same . Have sent them a message awaiting a reply

Haven't even bought the bike yet :D:D

Dropping the bike down by as much as 30mm will affect the ground clearance for cornering considerably. You might want to think about that.

The Norge and 1200 Breva are the same apart from the tupperware.

I welded a thin bar to the bottom of the side stand, so I can easily get my foot or heel on it. Well actually I welded a larger plate and a bar, stops it sinking into soft road surfaces.

Found this on Facebook

" ‎Jim Hamlinto New England Moto Guzzi Owners
5 December 2017 ·
Hey Gang,

Last week I bought out the parts inventory of Westmoreland Moto Guzzi near Pittsburg. They were a Moto Guzzi dealer since 1972 so there is a pretty good collection of vintage and hard to find parts (both new and used) now at my shop (Hamlin Cycles) in Bethel, CT. We are slowly sorting out what we have, organizing, numbering and shelving the stuff. Some of it has already made it's way to eBay with more to come. If your in the need for something old, odd or unusual please look us up and we'll take a look to see if we can help you. For those that don't already know, I also bought out the Branchville Motors Guzzi parts inventory a few years back.

Thanks, Jim Hamlin "

" Hamlin Cycles
7 December 2017 ·
Hey Gang,

Andy and I travelled to Pittsburgh just after Thanksgiving and hauled back a truck and trailer load of Moto Guzzi parts. I bought out the parts inventory of Westmoreland Moto Guzzi, they had been a Guzzi dealer from 1972-2016. We have a treasure trove of hard to find and discontinued items for the older bikes. We are busy sorting, tagging and shelving this stuff (both new and used) which is a monumental task. We have gotten some of it on eBay already and it is selling pretty quickly. If you have parts needs, give us a try. 203-942-2232. You can see our Ebay listings here: ebay.com/sch/hamlincycles/m.html

Thanks, Jim Hamlin "

So Westmoreland no more.

Will be adding a tang & larger foot to the side stand.

I'm not a scratch rider so don't think ground clearance will be an issue. Time will tell.

Just home from putting my money down , So now a Guzzi owner

Gary

Gary -- the lowering kit is made in Poland; ebay.com/itm/Lowering-kit-Moto-Guzzi-1200-1100-Breva-Norge-Sport-Grisso-Stelvio/113474688152 and apparently comes complete with bearings.

There are two left. A Norge rider in Phoenix AZ selling his 2014 12K miles pointed me to it. I didn't ask but it appears from his photos the left the forks at stock height.

Gary -- the lowering kit is made in Poland; ebay.com/itm/Lowering-kit-Moto-Guzzi-1200-1100-Breva-Norge-Sport-Grisso-Stelvio/113474688152 and apparently comes complete with bearings.

There are two left. A Norge rider in Phoenix AZ selling his 2014 12K miles pointed me to it. I didn't ask but it appears from his photos the left the forks at stock height.

Thanks Bert . Have already ordered & hopefully its on its way. I got the last one. Then there were 3 ???

Gary -- I see you've installed your lowering link. Did you raise your front forks? Did you have to modify your side stand? I'd ask about your center stand but apparently you haven't installed it yet. I'm trying to slipstream behind your installation lessons-learned. Thanks.

My 2012 Norge has the ABS tone ring on the right-hand front rotor and I don't see one on Gary's 2009 Breva.

BTW Motobits motobits.com/guzzi.htm sells Gen2 Norge handlebar risers that allow the front forks to be raised at least 25mm.

Gary -- I see you've installed your lowering link. Did you raise your front forks? Did you have to modify your side stand? I'd ask about your center stand but apparently you haven't installed it yet. I'm trying to slipstream behind your installation lessons-learned. Thanks.

Hi Bert .
Still waiting for part to arrive. May have done my money :sweating::whew::banghead: Tracking # last seen in Poland 30 Dec . Have contacted seller many many times. According to seller Polish Post says delivery to Australia 6 - 8 weeks . Which it has been . Grrrrr.
Have already made alterations to side stand . Bigger foot & an extension so my short legs can reach it.
Will keep you informed.

My 2012 Norge has the ABS tone ring on the right-hand front rotor and I don't see one on Gary's 2009 Breva.

BTW Motobits motobits.com/guzzi.htm sells Gen2 Norge handlebar risers that allow the front forks to be raised at least 25mm.

No ABS. And have since found out it's a 2008 model
Mine is also supposed to have hi - rise handlebars

Hi Bert .
Still waiting for part to arrive. May have done my money :sweating::whew::banghead: Tracking # last seen in Poland 30 Dec . Have contacted seller many many times. According to seller Polish Post says delivery to Australia 6 - 8 weeks . Which it has been . Grrrrr.
Have already made alterations to side stand . Bigger foot & an extension so my short legs can reach it.
Will keep you informed.

Thanks for status. I have the link but holding off installation. I ordered it Jan 17, assigned tracking # Jan 21 and received in San Diego CA Feb 8. You can get the full history for CP195580671PL from USPS. In my experience eBay (and Amazon) has excellent buyer protection.

Back