• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

'74 Eldorado Police

Drug the T3 and Eldo up to the Navarro River in Mendocino County for some nice coastal riding. Still some work to do on the Eldorado; jetting and break in but it ran well. The T3 was a gas. Explored from Gualala to Fort Bragg. Such a sweet bike.

I did stay with the Amals Min. I was going thru some jetting adjustments yesterday and realized that they had two completely different idle screws installed by the PO. I had a spare set of Amal 930 bodies so I was able to match a pair and it made a huge improvement. I was able to sync them perfectly. It runs great now.

58 57

Put the Watsonian Monza on the T3........ It made a sweet handling bike into a monster. :worried:

It's first official duty was a post office run to ship some engine parts to the NW.

Mounting hardware from Ben at Watsonian Squire.

The repair I tried on my 5 speed transmission failed. If anyone has a rear case cover I need it. Will pay. Thanks.

.......... or I put the Ambassador 4 speed back in it until I get the 5 speed case fixed.:( Just think how much less complicated my life will be with one less gear.

60 61 62

Last edited:
Not sure if an Eldorado rear cover is still available. The speedometer drive location is different from other 5 speeds. My recommendation is to remove the rear cover and find a good welding shop that does heliarc welding.

Edit, just checked and it looks like it is available. harpermoto.com/tr.-cover-13200860.html Cover and bearings may be the way to go. Do get a steel cage double row for the output if your old one cannot be easily swapped.

Image Fixed the oil drain plug with a Helicoil part number 5546-10 on the 4 speed, filled her up with Bell Ray 85-140w gear saver and went out and crunched thru the gears. Fun was had by all. The EldoAssador rides again.

This will give me some time to figure out the 5 speed. Thank God for spare parts. A8F6DF16 EF91 4450 8547 4C3C7D477682 0F584F48 A707 448D A9E8 06887A6165DE 2229C013 C53D 4F98 8B64 E13F236477C2

I tried doing it without removing the gas tank and seat, not sure why, just tired of removing them. Had to slide the engine forward and take the swing arm off but other then that it was minimal tear down.

Been a couple of months since I last posted on the Eldo. I ordered some main jets (190 and 200), new needles (124) and new idle screws. Went from a 220 main, not sure on the needle but it was FAT and just ordered new 106 primary jets because the idle was already good. What a huge difference. No flat spots anymore and it starts immediately with the ticklers. It's running 200 main, 106 primary and 124 needle (bottom groove) on the Amal 930's for reference.
I have the repaired 5 speed ready to go back in (just not the time). It runs great and is a blast to ride. Love this bike.

The Lemans is running great too. Adjusted the valves and replaced the carb inner slide cables and sync'd them. Still a little stumble at 3800 rpm, but if I go fast enough through that range I hardly notice it. It's also going to get some superbike bars to replace the clip-ons. My brother and I are planning a ride up the North Coast next year and he's angling for the LMIII. I'm thinking T3 but the Eldorado is quickly becoming my favorite.

If the T3 does go then the sidecar is coming off.

Last edited:
Getting the 5 speed re-installed in the Eldorado. This time I don't have to kneel on the floor to do it. The wife got me a HF motorcycle lift for Christmas.

Getting together a parts list to finish up. Will need a clutch cable and some tune up parts. On the last ride the points closed up on me about twenty miles from home. It took me about 30 minutes to figure that one out. Had a screwdriver so I put the bike on the centerstand in 4th gear, rotated the tire until the distributor lobe was lined up and opened the points a smidgen (that's in millimeters). Ran like a champ and when I checked them at home I wasn't off by much. Pays to have your eyeballs calibrated annually. :think:

I'm going to miss the old Ambassador 4 speed. It was a wonderful piece of imprecision and clunk-ish noises.

Really enjoyed your journey with the Eldo. I have a '72 being delivered from North Dakota in the next few days. Pretty sure it needs cylinders.

On the last ride the points closed up on me about twenty miles from home. It took me about 30 minutes to figure that one out. Had a screwdriver so I put the bike on the centerstand in 4th gear, rotated the tire until the distributor lobe was lined up and opened the points a smidgen (that's in millimeters). Ran like a champ and when I checked them at home I wasn't off by much. Pays to have your eyeballs calibrated annually. :think:

Do you lubricate the distributor cam with any sort of grease? I use Bosch Distributor Grease (best stuff for the job IMO).

Do you lubricate the distributor cam with any sort of grease? I use Bosch Distributor Grease (best stuff for the job IMO).

Thanks for the tip/reminder Amboman. It’s the only thing I have that’s running points and I had forgotten.

I got the 5 speed back in and buttoned up. It’s amazing how much different it feels especially at highway speeds. I’m not sure what the difference is in final gearing but it’s a much more relaxed ride then the 4 speed.

Still have to replace the exhaust system but that can wait. Just going to build some miles on it and enjoy riding it for awhile.

7A553457 E077 4A98 A02A FBA558FCE5D1

5F492241 0B94 4F3F 99E7 6A87DAE159B4

Back