• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

dashboard interference

HALLELUJAH FOR THE INTERNET AND GUZZITECH

I know its an old thread, but the Roblatt describes EXACTLY the same issue as I have on my bike - intermittent LCD plus the blocked vent

I shall take apart the cheap dash I bought for spares before I delve further into the one on the bike and see if a straight LCD swap will fix things.

I know Carmo can't source a replacement LCD

If you're still out there Robblatt CHEERS :clap::clap::clap:

Tris,

The LCD screens are no longer available, lucky you have a spare. They are just unplug the old and plug in the new once the dash is apart. The dash takes about 15 minutes to remove, strip, rebuild and replace on the bike (but then again I've stripped mine out many times with trial and error rebuilds.

Let me know if you get stuck.

cheers

Robert

I might just take you up on that Rob :clap:

As an aside, I know the spare dash without its codes wont start the bike, but will the LCD light up and do its stuff?

The spare was was only a 27 pound investment and I was told that the LCD worked but haven't tried the dash on the bike yet.

Even if it doesn't work, Christmas wont need to be cancelled, but it would be nice to know before surgery commences ;)

Tris,

The LCD screen should work once you swap them. It's just plug in screen. If you were replacing any of the computer processors it might be a different story.

From memory, when you get to unplugging the LCD, there is a thin white plastic bar that runs along the length of the plug, this is used to wedge the plug in place - don't lose it.

cheers

Robert

Sorry Robert I didn't make myself clear.
If I do no more than unplug the existing dash from the bike and plug the spare in and turn the ignition on, will the LCD light up or does the imobiliser get in the way?
If it does at least I know I have a good LCD before starting to take it things apart
Cheers
Tris

Tris,

If I understand your question, then provided that only the original LCD screen is faulty, once you plug the new LCD in, all should work normally. The dashboard does need to be plugged into the bike when testing the new screen so I think the answer you seek is the imobiliser won't play a part in what you are doing.

If you are asking whether plugging in the whole spare dash to see if the LCD works, then I have no answer for you. My expertise here is not electrical but many trials and errors resulting in a bank of knowledge. It's easy to swap the dash over, just plug in the new dash and see what happens, the LCD should do something I'd imagine. - 5 minute job at most.

Hopefully one of the above answers your question.

regards

Robert

Cheers Robert

Its the 2nd option

I don't suppose it will be a problem so, I'll just plug in the replacement into the bike over Christmas and see if the LCD lights up

I'll report back once I see what happens

Thanks for your input

tris

I sent the last one to Carmo (still have the other 2). They found evidence of water damage and some faulty connections. Connections were repaired and whole unit was given a double coating of water proofing.

The main company is in the Netherlands, although there is a US address to send your dash to if you are in the US. The US location just ships the dash to the Netherlands. I got my dash back in about 2 weeks, not the cheapest thing I've ever done but the dash appears to actually be fixed now.

There is a U.S. address? Really?

Well, I searched and they DO have a California address. That would have possible saved $$ over shipping to The Netherlands....

(just sent a dash off to them).

Cheers Robert

Its the 2nd option

I don't suppose it will be a problem so, I'll just plug in the replacement into the bike over Christmas and see if the LCD lights up

I'll report back once I see what happens

Thanks for your input

tris

Just connecting the replacement clocks and switching on the ignition causes the gauges to sweep and the LCD to light up and ask for a code

The rainbow of LEDs didnt light up, but that might be why it was cheap!

I dont have the code, but the great news is that I have a viable LCD to transplant :party::party::party:

Good news Tris. It's an easy procedure. Sing out if you need help.
Also, if the clocks did the sweep as normal on the donor dash, keep it for spares because the stepper motors on the speedo and tacho can fail. Mine did when I road in 48C heat along with the lcd. The steppers are interchangable between tacho and speedo - not the fuel gauge.

Robert

Well surgery commenced last night on the donor dash

The chrome part came straight off rapidly followed by all the screws but then progress stopped

It looks like the lens has been sealed all the way around in place using silicone.

Consequently I can't budge it with out significant force and I suspect I'll break something if I do

So the question is

a) Is the silicone normally there or is it an attempt to seal the dash up in the past?

b) Will a silicone remover as you might use in the bathroom fog the lens

All thoughts appreciated

Try a single edge razor blade around the perimeter of the lens. It may be thin enough to cut through without damage to the lens.

Cheers John
I had considered one of the more radical techniques recommended for the clocks on my old Cali where you slice them in half to fix them!

Hopefully it wont come to that!

PS
3M have just confirmed to me that their "silicone eater" will haze some plastics so that option is out I suspect for all of them
However the internet describes yet another miraculous use for WD40 so I shall probably add that to the arsenal!
It doesn't eat the silicone rather release its grip on whatever it's stuck to!

Last edited:
Mine had some silicon but it came off easily. When I re assembled it all, I cleaned off the silicon and left off the rubber seal around the water canal. I've found that the extra airflow generated stops any condensation in its tracks. After several years, no condensation, and I'm an all weather rider. Also, once you've got it apart, scrape of any corrosion on the circuit board (gently) and spray the entire board back and front with a circuit board sealant. It will prevent future corrosion.

Robert

I'm IN!!

a) The vent behind the LCD is definitely blocked. I wonder how many people have been forced to shell out a bunch of money fixing a problem caused by a poor plastic molding :rolleyes::rolleyes:

b) I can see why the LCD cable can be a problem - if the tight bend doesn't get it then getting pinched between the circuit board and the casing would. A couple of millimeters more clearance would probably have fixed both problems!

Next step, do it all again with the clocks on the bike :sweating:

I've now now got both dashes apart and the LCDs both unplugged but am struggling to get the LCD out of the casing.

Is there a trick or do i just need 4 hands??

Cheers

Tris,

It's been a while since I've stripped mine down but attached are photos that show tabs that need to be carefully undone to remove first the circuit board, then the LCD. Careful not to break them.

Robert

IMG 0536 800x598 IMG 0548 800x598

Tris,

It's been a while since I've stripped mine down but attached are photos that show tabs that need to be carefully undone to remove first the circuit board, then the LCD. Careful not to break them.

Robert

Hence in part the question Robert!!

They appear to be made from "break as soon as you touch me plastic"

However you say "remove first the circuit board, then the LCD"

Does that mean that there is access to push the LCD from the back once I get the main circuit board out of the way?

At the moment, I can't yet see how to move the LCD to get it clear of the clips without levering on it,which I REALLY don't want to do

Last edited:
Tris,

If I remember correctly, the circuit board doesn't need to be removed, but it's a good idea to remove it and spray with circuit board sealer (I don't know it's correct name) while you're in there so no damage is done by humidity over time.

Those clips need to be pulled back as they hold the LCD in place. I used fine blade to gently lift the screen at each clip one at the time. Pull the clip back just far enough so that it sits on the edge of the screen, then work on the next clip and the next and so on. I found the clips on the general dash assembly were fragile but the ones on the LCD OK to work with (I broke several clips on the general dash and non that retain the LCD), still care is needed as you may not have the same luck as I did,

Practice on the donor dash so any damage won't be as upsetting. I don't know if it will work, try plugging the new LCD in and fire up the dash, then you'll know whether to risk damage on the old dash. Just a thought.

Robert

Back