• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

dashboard interference

I got the donor LCD out but the circuit board is proving recalcitrant - it appears to be held in the middle some how

Any guidance on that?

Tris

PS thanks for the guidance - its much appreciated as it the end (if the planets align) I'll have saved a bunch of petrol money. I think I owe you a drink if you ever get over here

My bad Tris.

I should've attached another photo,below, which shows screws that need to be removed from the front to release the circuit board. It's been such a long time it slipped my mind. The little ones around the face of the main clock From memory the larger ones hold the main casing on and you should've removed them already.

Robert

IMG 0536 800x598

Not your bad at all Robert

I got those 4 and all the others round the perimeter out but the board wont come out with the clips pulled back

The best I can see at the moment is the 2 tags circled below

Capture

They appear to go into the white casing and have no electrical function despite being soldered to the board :worried::worried:

It may not be this and I'm missing something simple, but I'm buggered if I can see it yet :cry:

Tris,

I don't remember those 2 tags, just the outer clips. The picture is a little fuzzy at that point so I can't seen them clearly. On pictures I have of the circuit board, they're also fuzzy when I enlarge - it's interesting the information you wished you'd recorded at the time just so you can refer back.

I you can wait, I'll pull my dash this weekend and report back.

Robert

WOW - that's above and beyond the call of duty Robert as we both know that would involve pulling the needles off with the consequent risk to the stepper motors.

Thanks for the offer though.

I can work around it as the only real reason to remove the board is so that I could conformally coat the back side.

Given that I can't see any water damage, and I've already opened up the blocked vent I'll probably leave sleeping dogs alone

Thanks for the offer though

Ok I have a faulty Breva dash that was given to me by James Betres from this site. I had to unsolder those 2 tags to get it fully apart and remove that circuit board. They actually go through and secure the LCD display in place, use a solder sucker or solder wick. They do not form part of the circuit and the tags are stand alone. The electronics was already damaged so it was out of interest that I took it apart.
Kevin

Also be very careful with disconnecting/connecting the ribbon cable at the bottom left. To remove it push the black retaining strip forward (1mm) using a toothpick or similar at each end of the brown connector.

Cheers Kevin
1) I think that reinforces my thoughts to leave the board in situ ...... unless I find I've FURBARed the stepper motors that is ;)
2) I was aware of that ...... somehow!

Kevin,

I definantely did not need to solder suck those 2 tabs, that much I know as I don't have a solder sucker. I remember mine just came apart easily.

Tris,

No probs, if you do need me to strip it down, I can strip and rebuild in about 20 minutes - sad isn't it?

Robert

Its all part of the idiosyncrasies that surround Guzzi ownership;)

Thanks though, and hopefully this time next week I'll be reporting that i now have a functioning LCD - watch this space

IT'S ALIVE :cool::cool::cool::cool:

I now have a dash with a functioning LCD :party::party:

So many many thanks to you Robert :clap::clap::clap:

I can also cast some light on the solder tag conundrum

I've established that the LCD is back lit via a panel set into the rectangular LCD recess, and I suspect that this is supplied with juice via the 2 tags Kevin commented on

Which means that you can take the LCD glass (a sucker means you don't need 2 pairs of hands) out without removing the circuit board and leave the back light in place

Bit of a delay in responding due to "stuff" happening!!
!!
Still, all good after a couple of decent rides so I shall call it CURED

Back