• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85 TT Info

Point taken, Paul. I've pondered just that myself. My current arsenal is inadequate for the bush, so I'd rather fancy another MG for a change. You foreign fellows have a rather different interpretation of "the bush" than I. To us in Oz, the bush refers to anywhere outside of city limits. Given that we're the most urbanised nation on earth, it basically refers to the entire continent except those 5 "teeming sores" that infect our shorelines, & maybe a few scabby isolated regional centres.

I actually wasn't aware that aux lights were spots or floods, thinking erroneously they might be foggies. I've only ever had one single bike that had adequate headlighting st'd. The rest have always been pretty crap. Point taken.

As for alternative bikes, there's little if anything else suitable available on the market. I need a min. of 400km range, with another 400km worth of additional storage capacity (a 20l PVC jerrycan strapped to the racks would do) plus a min of 10, & pref. 15-20l of water capacity too. That's a min/max luggage range capacity "in extremis" of about 20-60kg!!

I'm guessing the "trad" adv bikes the likes of the Suz DR or Tenere 650s or some other east asian equiv. just won't be big enough to carry that sort of extra weight safely, nor will the smaller KTM/BMW parallel twins either. I don't really know much about asian bikes (or cars, or anything really). Never ever had one, nor ever likely to. Can't really afford to buy a new BMW or KTM either.

I also (obviously) need a big, beefy centre-stand & maybe a wide footed sidestand puck too. A max total rolling mass of some 290kg is a whole lot better than 350kg+ (over 1/3 of a ton!) for a new boxer. I suspect that I'll be needing to pick the whole kit up from a topple from time to time!

Big boxers or even the old/er Stelvio are just too big, heavy & thirsty too. I'm not suggesting either will be badly built, but some 800+ km of the Gunbarrel or Tanami Tracks' heavy corrugations would all but kill just about any heavy bike, let alone the mug who tries to pilot it. It'd be like trying to wrestle & hogtie a reluctant hippo!

That's why I thought Guzzi's "tutto terreno" concept might work. Small, cheap, lightweight, inexpensive suspension & components & an 18" & 19" wheel combo that's ideal for corrugated gravel. Tubeless rubber is an absolute must for this type of low-pressure running, but that's easily overcome (I hope) with some silicone sealant & 3M tape. I like the rather simple uncomplicated nature of the bike. Primitive & crude in a characterful and relatively easily-maintained way. Cheap components are also cheap to maintain & replace. I see even BMW have ditched their Brembos for budget-quality brakes from a USA bicycle mnf'r now! Yet a new one will still cost about AU$35K when optioned up! The baby Guzzi should be about half that price.

The only other Guzzi I've ever owned (SP1000) was easily the most comfortable touring mile-eater despite its crap seat, so I thought a modern slightly smaller, lighter & in comparison to the competition cheaper model would work. Guzzi's (now) unique combination of air cooled longitudinal vee motor & cardan shaft makes it just about the ultimate expression of tucked-in, compact, low COG air-cooled perfection in a tourer. As long as the going doesn't get too rough, the limitations imposed by the drive shaft's lack of travel shouldn't even be an issue.

As I'm now approaching my 7th decade of life size, mass, manoevrability & ergonomics become seriously important considerations. Any alternative suggestions for a comfortable medium-weight rough-road tourer would be appreciated.

I to am in the 70th decade of my life and understand the importance of ergonomics that work well for old bones. My current stable consists of a Guzzi V7III, Indian Scout, BMW R1200R, and a Vespa 300. A GSA was traded for the Scout. 900 mile days and exploring places well off the pavement are behind me. I'll be in Europe for a couple of weeks this summer and plan to rent a V85 for a week. If it makes me smile one will likely find it's way into my garage.

Paul

I don't know for sure but at my mid life point, there is something to be said about off road exploration.....life is good on my heavy street bike Guzzi for now. Maybe I should bypass my V85 off road purchase. Is there really alot more places I can go vs. my 1200? Hmmmmmm...... 20190227 125933

Almost any bike can get you almost anywhere. Some just make the task easier and safer then others. Ya can plow a field with a diner knife, perform surgery with a tin can lid, etc... but why would ya. Different tools for different task.

Paul

I grew up in a "Run what ya brung" area.
Most dirt bikes were stripped down street bikes.
Mine was a 650 BSA Lightning which later became a Chopper.
There were a few guys who had "real" dirt bikes.

In today's world it's all specialized & able to be bought.
I kinda miss the old days.

Today, is ya get a chance to ride antique motorcycle, you'll realize how much motorcycles have improved. They handle better, they stop better, they have more power, they fuel better, are more comfortable, more safe, and way more fun to ride. I've found that the good old days weren't as good as I remember them...…… after experiencing modern motorcycles. And we continue spend money and time in an attempt to make them even better.

Paul

Today, is ya get a chance to ride antique motorcycle, you'll realize how much motorcycles have improved. They handle better, they stop better, they have more power, they fuel better, are more comfortable, more safe, and way more fun to ride. I've found that the good old days weren't as good as I remember them...…… after experiencing modern motorcycles. And we continue spend money and time in an attempt to make them even better.

Paul

I don't know about "way more fun to ride".

A modern bike compared to a bike that was never designed to go over 80/90 mph being ridden at 120 is a lot more challenging & fun.
As the saying goes: More fun to ride a slow bike fast.......

When hours were spent squeezing out every MPH & HP that could be squeezed without ordering a kit (no offense Todd you know I appreciate what you do) & the needle swept past the ton...well that was a thrill & a sense of accomplishment.

Today drop the plastic on the counter & run 160/180 off the lot or give a list to the dealer then head to bike night, boring.

The good old days are still good for me.

For me riding at 120 isn't my idea of fun unless I'm at the track. I've had many opportunities to do 120 and more on the Autobahn but instead would chose to play on the back roads. Todays modern motorcycles will do that and more with no effort at all, they're safely designed for those steed and more fun for me for all the reason I mentioned above. But, hey what ever floats your boat is OK with me... it is your boat.

Paul

More from MG.it in regards to "model kit" options:

Moto Guzzi offers three different accessory packs, each of which can also be purchased individually.

TOURING PACK (in two versions – base and plus): it includes a set of accessories dedicated to touring in order to increase cargo capacity and comfort for rider and passenger.

PAIR OF 33 LT. / 38 LT. SIDE PANNIERS IN ALUMINIUM:
Pair of side panniers in 1.5 mm aluminium, they are ultra-resistant and spacious (33-litre left pannier; 38-litre right pannier). The panniers are powder painted to offer maximum protection and durability over time. They are locked to the bike using a dedicated safety key and can be easily removed in just a few seconds. They are supplied with additional locks to be able to use just one key for the 48-litre case too. The top opening makes loading easy. Internal bags are also available. 100% Made in Italy. Specific pannier supports, sold separately, are needed.

48-LITRE ALUMINIUM CASE:
48-litre aluminium case in 1.5 mm aluminium, it is ultra-resistant and spacious. The case is powder painted to offer maximum protection and durability over time. It is locked to the bike using a dedicated safety key and can be easily removed in just a few seconds. Complete with stainless steel fastening plate. 100% Made in Italy. Internal bag is also available.

TOURING WINDSHIELD
Touring windshield: 60% larger than the standard, it offers greater protection for the rider during longer trips. The anti-impact, scratch-proof polycarbonate sheet guarantees safety while ensuring that transparency and shine will remain unaltered over time.

ADDITIONAL LED LIGHTS
The additional LED lights are low power consumption with an aluminium body and contained size. They integrate perfectly with the bike and allow for greater visibility and safety during night-time riding. 100% safety approved. Installation kit sold separately.

CENTRE STAND
The centre stand has been created in cataphoresis-treated and powder coated steel to stand up to different weather conditions, it has been designed and engineered to meet with the strictest safety and resistance standards.

TUBULAR ENGINE GUARD BAR
It has been created with very thick steel tubes, it specifically protects the engine and the rider’s legs. Its design matches the lines of the vehicle, marrying style and functionality.

MOTO GUZZI MIA*
Moto Guzzi MIA allows us to connect, via Bluetooth, our iOS or Android smartphone to the bike’s on-board electronics. A earpiece / Bluetooth helmet can be connected to use all the infotainment functions. The system displays this information directly on the instrument panel (while keeping the phone in your pocket) and can be safely managed using the “mode” button.

SPORT ADVENTURE PACK: includes a series of accessories that enhance the sporty and off-road character of the V85 TT, also guaranteeing protection and safety.

MOTO GUZZI EXHAUST BY ARROW
Safety-approved exhaust in titanium with a heat protection cover, support clamp and carbon end cap. It offers major weight reduction (50% less than the standard exhaust) and makes for a unique and aggressive sound. Laser-cut Moto Guzzi logo.

TUBULAR ENGINE GUARD BAR
It has been created with very thick steel tubes, it specifically protects the engine and the rider’s legs. Its design matches the lines of the vehicle, marrying style and functionality.

FOLDABLE MIRRORS
They fold up on themselves towards the inside of the handlebar to provide better off road handling.

ÖHLINS SHOCK ABSORBERS
Shock absorbers with adjustable compression, rebound and spring preload. They increase the vehicle’s performance and provide perfect adjustment in any condition – fully-loaded, with a passenger or on your own.

URBAN PACK: includes accessories for everyday use and for urban commuting.

URBAN SIDE PANNIERS
Made of ABS and aluminium, they are the ideal solution for those who use the bike every day. They do not require any support plate for installation because they mount directly on the vehicle, thereby preserving its lines once removed.

MOTO GUZZI MIA*
Moto Guzzi MIA allows us to connect, via Bluetooth, our iOS or Android smartphone to the bike’s on-board electronics. A earpiece / Bluetooth helmet can be connected to use all the infotainment functions. The system displays this information directly on the instrument panel (while keeping the phone in your pocket) and can be safely managed using the “mode” button.

ELECTRONIC ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM
Protects our bike with a compact and technologically advanced ECU that is easy to install. Complete with remote control. The system is self-powered with a minimal energy absorption.

CENTRE STAND
The centre stand has been created in cataphoresis-treated and powder coated steel to stand up to different weather conditions, it has been designed and engineered to meet with the strictest safety and resistance standards.

The range of Moto Guzzi accessories dedicated to the V85 TT is further completed by other useful parts for every situation.

FAST CLICK FRAMES
These slim, harmonious supports, painted in an elegant black, maintain the look of the vehicle and allow use of the side panniers with a quick-release system.

SHAFT DRIVE PROTECTION
Created with very thick 1 1/4” steel tubes, it protects the shaft drive. Its design matches the lines of the vehicle, marrying style and functionality.

TANK BAG
12-litre capacity and removable in water repellent technical material with side pockets and a practical, transparent top pocket.

COMFORT SEATS – STANDARD, LOWERED AND RAISED
Seats in three different heights with 3D springs to maximise driving comfort.

MUDSHIELD
Created in injected plastic material, it is mounted on the shaft drive and protects the engine from stones and water. It’s compatible with the shaft drive protection.

CLUTCH AND BRAKE LEVER
Ergonomic aluminium levers machined from solid, they offer four-position adjustment to guarantee the maximum comfort and highest level of personalisation. They are available in two types: black and natural aluminium

FUEL TANK COVERS
The fuel tank covers in 3D material provide superficial protection for the tank and limit rider sliding.

HIGH GRIP BRAKE PEDAL
Laser cut pedal and powder painted in a resistant material. Ensures perfect grip even in the most extreme situations.

SPORT ADVENTURE TYRES
Pair of Michelin Anakee Adventure tyres, standard equipment on the special versions.

* MOTO GUZZI MIA – Functions available on the TFT instrument display
Navigation:
through a special section of the app it is possible to search and set the trip destination. Once the navigation is activated and the Bluetooth connection between the smartphone and the control unit, all the trip indications – in the form of pictograms – are visualised on the dedicated page of the TFT instruments, including speed limits for the road being travelled.
Call management (Accept / reject incoming call, name/number visualised)
Call back the last missed call
Music management
(playlist, volume, etc)
Interphone between rider and passenger, by pairing the standard Bluetooth Earphones to the motorcycle.

MOTO GUZZI MIA – APP functions
Speedometer, RPM counter, power and torque of the engine
, fuel consumption (instant and average), average speed, battery charge, longitudinal acceleration and complete on-board computer: these are just some of the available functions.
The “ECO RIDE” function leads you to getting the very best fuel consumption with a eco-compatibile riding behaviour.
It’s possible to memorise all the trip data and look back at them later on your own computer.
If fuel is low, the system automatically shows you the nearest fuel stations and leads you to the one you’ve chosen on the map.
It automatically memorises the last position of the vehicle before the engine is switched off and provides directions if you forget where the vehicle is parked.

Sounds like a pretty good range of accessories. I particularly like the concept of having a choice of tyres available, without the rigours of trying to renegotiate with a recalcitrant dealer.

Some acc's leave me a mite puzzled: shaft drive protection, in 1 1/4" (32mm) steel tubing? Whiskey tango foxtrot? How does one "protect" a drive shaft? Perhaps even more germaine, why would one find it necessary to do so? What is this magical "protector" anyway? A bit like Mormon's "magic underpants"?

Some seem superfluous: I'd far rather folding brake & gear pedals than "high grip" versions. Better suited to adv. use I'd postulate. "Urban" panniers with "fast click" frames that probably won't fit the weeks groceries? Sounds like yet another triumph of style over substance.

Some seem fantastic: a fitted trio of adv. panniers in alloy sounds great. I've always hated the whole concept of "top-boxes", Gearsacks etc. mounted up as high & as far back as possible. Physics dictates that it's probably the absolute worst place to carry any load on a bike. Max wind resistance, high centre-of-gravity and pendulum inertia effect. But its' sheer capacity (48l!!) is pretty hard to dismiss! You could carry an entire camp kitchen: cooker, pots & pans, fuel (maybe), washing-up dish, perhaps some (compatible) foodstuffs, laundry & washing supplies etc. for a party of 3-4, PLUS have safe room to lock away valuables when away hiking or sightseeing with the converta tankbag/rucksack/water bladder. With an additional accessory alarm & an assortment of disc lock/s. chains & an alarmed luggage net &/or cable to secure bike, luggage, helmet/s, jacket/s & other loose paraphernalia.

You STILL get another combined 71L available for personals, clothing, tent, sleeping gear, food & drink. With so much capacity, it will be hard to limit or temper one's natural urge to overpack!

Some options are still missing: it's great that at least the prototype's Ohlins rear cartspring is potional, but it's still encumbered with an "oddments-bin" non-adjustable Kayaba fork. Even a cheapie adjustable from Marzocchi, Paoli, Sachs or some other maker would be preferable if MG can't financially justify the prototype's Ohlins front end. Where's the option of tubeless rims? There's now quite a few makers out there to choose from, including at least 2 native Italian firms.

My point is that, as with BMW, MG now offer a pretty comprehensive & all but complete, viable, off-the-peg adv. touring solution. Just the ticket for the sort of wannabe fly/drive tourists/travellers/adventurers that lie within just about all of us. Both MG & BMW (maybe others?) offered these types of solutions to OZ customers back in the early 80's. All necessary paperwork, registration, insurance & return bike freight was prepaid, prearranged & painless. 40 years ago I saved sufficient import duty & tax in my own fly/drive purchase to pay for Tas-Munich return flights!

Whilst the duty exemptions no longer exist, lower air fares will in some way compensate. What a package for a 2-year + lap of the Med! All fully warranted (extendable to 4 years) and backed by the factory. What a fabulous retirement/divorce celebratory gift to myself!

Last edited:
Some acc's leave me a mite puzzled: shaft drive protection, in 1 1/4" (32mm) steel tubing? Whiskey tango foxtrot? How does one "protect" a drive shaft? Perhaps even more germaine, why would one find it necessary to do so? What is this magical "protector" anyway? A bit like Mormon's "magic underpants"?

201902_MG_V85AccessoriVeicolo-006.jpg

Thanks for that. I've got it now. I've seen summat similar on older Gutsies too: Stelvio?? Still begs the Q why, 'though? It seems a mite superfluous to me. I can get the need for engine bars. Cylinder heads are expensive, air cooling fins can snap off, plus that's a fair bit of sudden pressure to apply to head studs, barrel threads etc.

But a bevel drive housing? It's still fairly well tucked away, isn't it? Fairly well shielded I'd have thought by the engine bars, pair of RH footpegs & mounts, tail superstructure & luggage if fitted etc. Surely @ worst it's going to merely lose a bit of black anodisation, maybe a scratch or 2. Nothing a file, sandpaper & matt black paint wouldn't render invisible after a few minutes' work. It just seems a bit of an extravagance, not to mention the extra unsprung weight added to the very worst place - at the end of the swingarm - when that enormous exhaust collector is left as exposed as buggery (see pic above) @ the lowest & most vulnerable point of the engine assembly.

Sidestand-only equipped bikes like my RSV1000R & Nuda have tiny little crash "mushrooms" available for the ends of the axle that do double duty as (essential) paddock stand mounts. Same result, without adding any measureable weight or looking like some weird type of agricultural implement! Another pig-ugly gewgaw that I'd rather delete methinks.

Last edited:
. I've seen summat similar on older Gutsies too: Stelvio?? Still begs the Q why, 'though? It seems a mite superfluous to me
The CARC final drive assy on the big block 8V Guzzis new is now up to US$3550 ($4585 for the older models!) -- and fragile in the sense that it is cast and is one of the first things that touches down, even in a tip over. Worth the $ to protect it IMO. Just looked, the V9 drive is US$1018, still worth protecting.

Looks like some exciting accessories. Do they have an pictures or breakdowns of the accessories (specs, price, etc.). Wonder if the Ohlins are good or if there will be better aftermarket options.

I've been religiously following Instagram and YouTube for video thoughts and reviews. This is the only one I've seen worth sharing. Weird to him say the suspension works. haha.

Many (most??) accessories (cases, racks, guards, screen, stand/s, shock, Arrow can) were shown on the red bike at the Birmingham show on boob-tube. Some more (the 'city-pack') was on one of the bikes in that Dutch road-test/world press release from yesterday in Sardinia that I linked to a couple of posts ago.

This is I assume is the first of literally dozens of "reviews" (which will realistically only be some type of breathless 'first ride' reports coming) as the world's motorcycle press reps recover from being wined & dined at Piaggio's expense in the exotic Sardinian billionaires' playground & actually earn their keep by putting pen to paper, or editing their footage onto boob-tube.

I must say that the review that Poppe found (above) is the best yet.

Last edited:
Do they have an pictures or breakdowns of the accessories (specs, price, etc.). Wonder if the Ohlins are good or if there will be better aftermarket options.
Not going to hyperlink this, but they have some options and pricing online; af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=3299
Generally speaking, most OEM products, even name brand are made with budget targets, so items like suspension are best “built to order.”

Not going to hyperlink this, but they have some options and pricing online; af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=3299
Generally speaking, most OEM products, even name brand are made with budget targets, so items like suspension are best “built to order.”

Thanks. Good to know on the suspension. I like too look at the OEM stuff just to gauge where things are landing. Sometimes guzzi OEM pricing isn't too bad (e.g. racer seat), but then other times it's wildly ridiculous at other things. I've never actually bought anything OEM from Guzzi because the GTMoto Store has always had better quality stuff.

I just wish (hope even) that there's some form of aftermarket alternative to that rather dodgy fixed, non-adjustable Kayaba front fork. The first prototypes featured decent looking Ohlins forks with at least some range of adjustment.

I'm a pretty heavy & fat bastard myself, so I'd ideally need 3-way adjustability. Assuming something else will fit within the triple clamp apertures, & has similar geometry. Any aftermarket fork is going to be seriously, scarily expensive as an outright purchase, however. Just wish they'd offer the original prototype's suspension as an option. As they have with the rear-end cartspring: an Ohlins shock is available @ exchange pricing from new.

Back