• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 C-S Suspension Thread

hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and i am the proud owner of a V7III stone.

As i found out, i'm not the only one who is not a big fan of the stock suspension. I find that the damping is quite shitty, and that the rear starts "shaking" when I drive faster trough corners. its a mess really. I did adjust my preload. I think i did it right.. since it helped a bit, but most problems are still there.

Anyway, while reading this topic I found out that the experience here is only based on V7 I and II models. The V7III suspension topic has only like 5 messages.

So my big question, Do most of the results and experiences here also apply to the V7 III ? If not, how much better are the V7III shock. Will Ikon for example make a huge difference?

and second, when i am looking for a suspension upgrade, whats the way to go.. Fork first of shocks first? (ofc both.. but lets say the budget has to be spread)

Ciao,

I'm new to this forum and i am the proud owner of a V7III stone. As i found out, i'm not the only one who is not a big fan of the stock suspension
Hi Erik, congrats and welcome to the GT Forum & Guzzi Famiglia. Hope you'll add your info to the Registry here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v7-registry-picture-thread-add-your-bike.9108/

The MY17+ rear shocks are noticeably better than the MY09-16 versions. However, yes, they are still low OEM budget spec units. What do you weigh? Springs have a small weight range, and the valving is part of that spec. Check out the Store tab above under the Suspension section. I only offer what I consider a real upgrade, as they are built to your weight and riding style only. Off the shelf versions (like Ikon and similar) are simply OEM replacement as pricing reflects.

As to which, is like saying all of the shocks on my car are bad, which should I replace? The forks are low budget Korean Kaifa forks, so having a balanced (front to rear) ride is very important. Debates argue that the shocks is what you sit over, so up to you in the end.

Hope that helps. Write me direct email with any product questions on the Store; Info at GuzziTech.com

Hey, I see a number of you on this thread have installed the GT Hybrid Fork Kit. I just got mine and am planning the install. I've reviewed the documentation and it left me with some questions about how exactly to go about this. Anyone have any tips or tricks to share? Did you run into any problems or make any mistakes you would be willing to share? Is it feasible to do this with the bike on its side stand or will I need to elevate the front end? Many thanks for any assistance!

Here is a comparison between fork components across the models from Breva to V7III (all data on stone models from V7 on). Not a lot of changes for a long time, looks like the most significant change is spring and stanchion (fork tube) on V7II and V7III. I need to replace my bent stanchions (minor bump) and despite the part no. change it looks to me like the earlier stanchions would be compatible as well as more common and cheaper! Given all parts except spring are the same and aftermarket springs available fit both V7 and V7II it seems reasonable they would fit. Anyone know for sure?

I'm getting delivery of a pair of Nitron R1 shocks for the rear after Christmas, I'll update this thread on how they perform. I'll be raising the front forks and reducing the oil weight to the same as the V7III to see if I can sharpen up my V7II a bit.

Upload 2018 12 13 2 18 10

Given all parts except spring are the same and aftermarket springs available fit both V7 and V7II it seems reasonable they would fit. Anyone know for sure?
I sure do... and hardly anything outside of the OD is the same. Caps, spring, damper rod, etc etc... all different.
I am a Nitron dealer, just assumed no one would spend that kind of money on them here;
https://gtmotocycles.com/products/nitron-v7-twin-std-shocks
https://gtmotocycles.com/products/nitron-v7-v9-twin-piggyback-shocks

I sure do... and hardly anything outside of the OD is the same. Caps, spring, damper rod, etc etc... all different.
I am a Nitron dealer, just assumed no one would spend that kind of money on them here;
https://gtmotocycles.com/products/nitron-v7-twin-std-shocks
https://gtmotocycles.com/products/nitron-v7-v9-twin-piggyback-shocks

To be clear I'm referring to the front forks here not the shocks: The parts lists for the models checked against a few parts websites indicates mostly common parts, it seems unlikely they would share part numbers for different parts, e.g. cap for all models = 887894.
wendelmotorraeder.de/fork-parts-fork-plates-v7-ii-racer-750-15-16-abs-ex-30_3003_300303_30030301_3003030110_300303011006.html

On the shocks for the rear: A bit cheaper for the R1's on this side of the pond: nitron.co.uk/catalogue_item.php?catID=13613&prodID=87870 (about $760). Look like a good fit for the V7 II with length adjustment =/- 5mm. I'm looking to set up my V7II as close to the V7III as possible reducing the ride height and steering angle (slide the forks up, V7 II = 27.5deg, V7III 26deg). I'll also change the fork oil from SAE 7.5W to 5W.
v7_2s_3.jpg

Wow. I don't know how I missed those puppies. That blue might look really sweet with my v7 in red.
You didn't... I just added them since our new friend Joseph brought them up, and we (GTM) are a Nitron dealer. We didn't have them listed as most complain of the high cost of the offerings here as is. Since he was violating the basic policy on hyper-linking to offsite competitors for similar products offered here, I added them. The K-Tech offerings HERE give a great bang for the $ -- then there's the Matris awesomeness from there.

You didn't... I just added them since our new friend Joseph brought them up, and we (GTM) are a Nitron dealer. We didn't have them listed as most complain of the high cost of the offerings here as is. Since he was violating the basic policy on hyper-linking to offsite competitors for similar products offered here, I added them. The K-Tech offerings HERE give a great bang for the $ -- then there's the Matris awesomeness from there.

Very cool. I’m still a few months out before I can do suspension, but when I get there, I’ll shoot you another email to begin the process on what makes sense. I was looking at the ohlins, the matrix, and the gt ones, but the nitron creates a snag.

Even still it’s all a mystery to me what makes sense, which is why I’ll email you when the time comes.

Hi, those shocks came with the bike. It’s from Seattle, home of the now-gone Moto International. The old owner wrote Guzziology and had a popular link to a set of Progressives you could get from Parts Unlimited. They were listed as off-road shocks but for whatever reason they fit the V7s well. Designated as 14 Series O/R. According to the book, they are part number PS1240B plus the PS1322B 75/155 springs. I’m planning to replace with something from Todd when I can afford, but for now they are better than OEM. Guzziology is recently updated and available for free download if you Google it.

Here is my ‘13 V7 Stone/Special with Progressive shocks.
Question Michael, curious if the top and bottom mounts completely clear the frame? This has been a problem on some of the multi-fit application shocks.

Unrelated/related: Since Prog Susp is local to me, with a scheduled appointment, I stopped in a few years ago with a handful of twin shocks from various models. They gave me a tour, and told me how I could assemble shocks from their parts list, uninterested in anything I brought. They are focused on where the $ is (HD, rightfully so), and the few models that their owner or staff is interested in. I left really disappointed. Parts Unltd is a distributor only, not retail.

I anyone wants to throw money at trying them (stepped spring preload adjuster only dirt bike shocks, with heavy duty springs for riders over 200 lbs is the spec stated above) for $255/set, I can get them as parts to assemble from my distributor, and can put them on the online Store. Post below or best to email me direct; Info at GuzziTech.com

On a side note and posted above already, I recently added a nicely made purpose built-to-order (length also) twin shock line for $399; https://gtmotocycles.com/collections/suspension/products/gtm-s2w-ifp-twin-shocks

I saw an article somewhere on here that dropping your forks was a good thing to do, well tried it at the weekend and the difference is massive. The handling of my V7iii Carbon was okay but didn't inspire that much confidence (could be the standard tyres) but after lowering by 15mm, amazing.

Only six screws and away you go; so if you're only ever going to do 1 thing to your V7, do this, you won't regret it (and it doesn't cost a thing? :) Before and after below.

I kept the relationship with the headlight the same as there's not a massive clearance between the clutch cable and the speedo and I didn't want to cut some new spacers, but I might have to make some for the top now...
IMG 3179 IMG 1636

I dropped mine about 12mm but haven't ridden it since.

Question Michael, curious if the top and bottom mounts completely clear the frame? This has been a problem on some of the multi-fit application shocks.

Unrelated/related: Since Prog Susp is local to me, with a scheduled appointment, I stopped in a few years ago with a handful of twin shocks from various models. They gave me a tour, and told me how I could assemble shocks from their parts list, uninterested in anything I brought. They are focused on where the $ is (HD, rightfully so), and the few models that their owner or staff is interested in. I left really disappointed. Parts Unltd is a distributor only, not retail.

I anyone wants to throw money at trying them (stepped spring preload adjuster only dirt bike shocks, with heavy duty springs for riders over 200 lbs is the spec stated above) for $255/set, I can get them as parts to assemble from my distributor, and can put them on the online Store. Post below or best to email me direct; Info at GuzziTech.com

On a side note and posted above already, I recently added a nicely made purpose built-to-order (length also) twin shock line for $399; https://gtmotocycles.com/collections/suspension/products/gtm-s2w-ifp-twin-shocks
Hi, Todd just seeing your question from a few months ago. I have no clearance issues with these shocks. I saw quite a few V7s in Seattle with this setup, presumably because Moto I was recommending and installing them.

Disappointing to hear your experience with Progressive! Michael

The Progressive shock I installed in my Victory sure doesn't ride like an offroad shock, it's great.
Totally different though- monoshock amidships, on a much heavier and more powerful bike. Its from the 485 series.

Hey Todd,

I purchased a Matris fork cartridge kit from you around 2/24/2018. It took forever for me to install because life intervened and I moved from Falls Church, Virginia, to the Asheville, North Carolina area. Since the move in 2018, I've had very little time to ride and now that I've managed to get some miles in, I've discovered the bottom screw - the damper securing screw, the one that holds the cartridge in place in the slider and that you have to remove the front axel to reach - has loosened up and is leaking. When I originally took the OEM fork internals out I found the screw to be incredibly tight. I had to use a breaker bar to take the screw out. I guess when I reassembled I was worried about stripping the alloy Matris so I reckon I didn't tighten it enough.

Questions - Do you have a suggested torque value for the 8 mm screw that fixes the Matris cartridge to the slider? Should I use a crush washer?

My sig was MRLost back then but I had to change ISPs when I moved so I've changed my login.

Thanks mucho.

Th parts and service manuals give no hint about the recommended torque. When I installed a Matris cartridge set on my V7II, I used a rattle gun to tighten these screws, because the cartridges rotated when I tried tightening the screws with a torque wrench. I couldn't find a way to prevent the cartridges from rotating, hence the advantage of a rattle gun. I was aiming for 50 Nm but it probably ended up with more torque. I also used new copper crush washers. No leaks or loosening over the next 2+ years and 13,000 mi. Hope this helps.

Back