• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Heated grips help

Robert Gibson

High Miler
GT Contributor
I was looking to possibly fit heated grips and I believe others have fitted Oxford aftermarket grips (as opposed to OEM) by splicing into the existing pre installed wiring.
My own preference would be to source the compatible connector, attach to the Oxford grips and plug into the existing wiring thereby using the control switch on the left hand switch cluster.
The concern I have is that the Oxford units would draw more current than the OEM units. Can anybody comment?

The concern I have is that the Oxford units would draw more current than the OEM units. Can anybody comment?
You could see if you could find specs or ping Oxford and ask. Most of the technology is the same... thin/flat wire elements flowing electric current via a resisitor/switch. I suspect there is no issue using them as others have.

I believe the Oxfords do draw more current than the heated grips Guzzi offers. Whether it is too much for the dashboard which regulates the current to the grips is a risk only you can decide. Others say they have installed Oxford grips with no problems.

The Guzzi grips measure 14 ohms cold, when they heat up the resistance will increase and the current will decrease. Use ohms law to compare the cold current with those of the Oxfords to help make your decision.

Heated grip option (OEM Guzzi) is actually one of the very few add-ons which are not ridiculuously overpriced and well worth having, since they nicely integrate with the instrument control screen also. I had them retro-fitted by my dealer at the time when I decided to replace the Audace dragbar with the touring handlebar version. Heating has 3 stages and works wonderful, without adding extra clutter and cables to the bike.

But talk about going back over instead of forward
Moto Guzzi has not implemented this on the new 2017 model because the full ride by wire
grips are not compatable with the heated grips
if KTM and Aprilia can do it why cant Guzzi
total let down by them on there top range bike

Not available on 2017 model Cali 1400s? I am surprised, what's the difference of the older ride-by-wire throttle grip to that new one? Absolutely makes no sense to drop the heated grip option from a top end touring bike.
Here is one link for the 'older' Cali:
af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=56698

So the newer Cali doesn't use the same throttle cable hookup? Just curious, do you know more about this?

I just installed my heated grips and love them. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy took about 20 minuets. I would just go with official part then you have no worries about anything being wrong.

But talk about going back over instead of forward
Moto Guzzi has not implemented this on the new 2017 model because the full ride by wire
grips are not compatable with the heated grips
if KTM and Aprilia can do it why cant Guzzi
total let down by them on there top range bike
There is no conflict with throttle by wire and Moto Guzzi heated grips. My 2014 California 1400 has both and the grips work fine.

Thanks, Curt. Late model Moto Guzzi California’s appears to have two different throttle-by-wire systems depending on year of manufacture. Your 2014 has a hybrid cable/wire system. My 2017 has a true throttle by wire system and, the, unfortunately, Moto Guzzi does not appear to have plans to make heated grips for the more current system.

Well that’s unfortunate Corvo Nero because heated grips are really nice to have. I wish the O.P. Luck in finding a solution. If all else fails heated glove liners? Less bulky than most heated gloves.

Back