• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 II Stornello or V7 III Rough?

V7 II Stornello or V7 II Rough?

• Total voters

allmotive

[Premier Сasual Dating Real Women]
Hi everyone!

I've had my license for 2 years and started learning on my '15 Yamaha R3. Great little bike, but i'm looking for something with a little more gas range and touring capabilities.
I've been really taking a good look at Moto Guzzi's for quite some time and have decided that I have narrowed it down to a 16 Stornello or 18 V7 III Rough.

These bikes really come with a lot of bang for your buck, 5+ gallon tank, ABS, Traction Control, Brembo brakes, shaft drive, Standard configuration, quality parts.

All of these things really check the boxes for what i'm looking for as far as my next bike. Everything else i've looked at was lacking in some areas. Harley's scrape/too expensive, Yamaha Bolt 3 gallon tank, SV650/FZ07 are nice but don't budge on price, Suzuki GSX-S750 dirt cheap but hard to find.

The ONLY thing I really don't like about the Stornello is the fact that the color scheme (white, red, silver, black) don't really cohesively fit with the overall appearance of the bike.
I would probably get black side panels, black windscreen and look at buying/painting new fenders white to match.
I have also seen that NOBODY really mods the Stornello at all with the exception of a tail rack.
High exit Arrow exhaust is a HUGE plus for me.

The only thing I don't like about the Rough is it only comes with one dial. But it has 10% more power and a completely reworked motor that might be more reliable over time.

Power is not a huge factor for me. I'm 32 with 2 kids and don't need/want to go fast.

What are your suggestions based on experience?

Also forgot to mention that the Honda CB650R isn't coming out until April/May this year. I love the new styling but i'm also trying to get away from the constant maintenance of a chain drive.

Can you test ride both? That will help answer your own question really.
Upside for the Stori is the limited availability (I have a feeling based on what I'm hearing, it might hold it's value/demand), if that matters to you.
Rough: The V7 line has really evolved, and the Rough is the pinnacle. Not only is the motor and oiling circuit improved, but so was the rear shock suspension geometry, and stock shocks superior to the Stori.
The things you should budget for: If you plan on hearing just how good a Guzzi motor can sing, GTM de-cat and uncork the muffler, and our GTM Flash -- This will allow it to run as it should and run much cooler. Also plan on upgrading the rear shocks on the Stornello, they are pretty abysmal as delivered... the Rough is fair to OK. Both of the forks are the same budget Kaifa units. Not great, but we have a few options on our online Store linked above.
From there, it's all up to you. You really won't go wrong with either. Hope that helps.

Significant improvements were made to the gen III. motors. After having several test rides on both I found the ergos on the gen III better suited me, the motor had less vibration and the few more hp were noticeable, Many of the enhancements to the motor are aimed at improving reliability and durability. For me the choice was clear.

Here's a read you may find helpful.
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactu....com_weekly&utm_source=Motorcycle.com20170824

Paul

Thanks all for the advice!
I wound up getting a new 2018 V7 III Special in Nero with 3 miles! The bike was delivered on Friday and unfortunately due the weather/snowstorm in the Northeast I haven't been able to ride her yet.

Saw your related post before, but missed your (now irrelevant) poll.

Congrats on the new Special. I am picking my brother's in Atlanta at the end of the month. Wish I could ride it back this way, but reality dictates a trailer this trip.

Having ridden both my brother's Special several hundred miles last year and my own Stornello several thousand, I simply don't find the "power" difference to be as significant a factor as does Paul and others, but I am an insensitive lout :giggle: in many ways. Seriously, I do not doubt the reality of more oompf, but both are so much fun, it just doesn't matter to me in my back-roads and off-pavement world.

I may set up a "drag race" comparo when both are in my Moto Grappa. All sorts of willing Guzzisti around here to take turns seeing which is faster 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc. We'll swap riders to get most "scientific" results.

And, allmotive, can't recall where you are in Pa., but wander down to the top of Virginia when the weather gets better to put a few twisting miles on that new Special. :clap:

Bill

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with a drag race …. who cares.
I don't recall saying the power difference was 'significant'. Plus 6,3hp and plus 4.5ft lbs of torque is certainty an improvement. More importantly the torque starts to build at a lower rpm and... all good stuff. I know guys who have payed a lot of money for those kind of improvements. But it's much more then the power difference Bill. It's a smoother motor, better ergonomics for me, and all the enhancements that come with the gen III motor to improvem durability and reliability. It's certaintly not about how fast a V7 is, that's not why folks buy them. There are far better choices if it's fast they seek. My Scout and my R1200R are much faster then my V7 but they all make me smile for different reasons. The same goes for my Vespa 300 GTS, it's a bucket of giggles to ride.

I'm glad you're happy with your Stornello Bill. We all get that.

Paul

Last edited:
That's like drinking lighter fluid Bill. How could ya. :shake:
A man of your discriminating taste could do better. :p

Paul

That's like drinking lighter fluid Bill. How could ya. :shake:
A man of your discriminating taste could do better. :p

Paul

I was speaking of bourbon, Paul, not, as I think you may have inferred, grappa. ;)

That said, I am very fond of both, as these pix, taken two weekends ago, show ... :party: ...

i-HGwnLn4-M.jpg

i-PD5468k-M.jpg

Bill

Nope, wasn't thinking grappa, that's distilled from the remains of the grape squeezing process when making wine. I thought you were talking about bootleg ethanol, shine. . Silly me. :party:

Sound like that was a great party Bill. Unfortunately my bourbon drinking, and all hard alphol and wine for that mater, are over. !5 years ago I was treated for very serious lower tongue cancer. Daily radiation to my throat area each day for 8 weeks, left me with throat(and many other) issues. I am however able to enjoy and occasion nice old draft IPA or an authentic German lager, pilz, or weiss. My survival was uncertain,. I'm luck to be able to speak and to be able to eat/swallow most food. I lived on a six pack a day.... of Boost, water, and some gator aid through a feeding tube inserted into my belly for about 9 months. Life is good, but old age sucks, it ain't for the faint of heart. ;)

Paul

Nope, wasn't thinking grappa, that's distilled from the remains of the grape squeezing process when making wine. I thought you were talking about bootleg ethanol, shine. . Silly me. :party:

Sound like that was a great party Bill. Unfortunately my bourbon drinking, and all hard alphol and wine for that mater, are over. !5 years ago I was treated for very serious lower tongue cancer. Daily radiation to my throat area each day for 8 weeks, left me with throat(and many other) issues. I am however able to enjoy and occasion nice old draft IPA or an authentic German lager, pilz, or weiss. My survival was uncertain,. I'm luck to be able to speak and to be able to eat/swallow most food. I lived on a six pack a day.... of Boost, water, and some gator aid through a feeding tube inserted into my belly for about 9 months. Life is good, but old age sucks, it ain't for the faint of heart. ;)

Paul

I "liked" that post but somehow that seemed wrong as I was more astonished than enjoyed that.

You are, as you know better than readers of that saga, fortunate to be around, as throat cancer can be nasty ... but aren't they all evil? :swear:

But good for you on winning.

Don't need for this to turn into a beer thread, but as a native German, I have always been very proud of "our" beer. I have come to believe, however, that American craft beers -- less the froufrou stuff; blech :rolleyes: -- is (obviously, IMO) better than nearly all German beer (even the fresh stuff at a Gasthaus in Bavaria. I feel especially that way about IPA's.

In fairness, I suspect that German purity laws make it impossible for brewers there to deviate much from centuries-old recipes. That's a good thing if you like that beer as we both do, but it does make it hard to get creative.

Now, I did read a few years ago that folks who liked bitter stuff -- e.g., black coffee, G&T's, and IPA's, etc. -- were (I'll cut to the chase): asshats and worse. I like all three. :clap:

See, e.g., https://www.medicaldaily.com/person...njoying-bitter-foods-linked-dark-triad-356634

OTOH, my view of that study is that all the subjects were Austrians. I rest my case. :giggle:

But, again, congratulations on your victory, and best wishes that you continue in good health and happiness for a very long time on the best planet I've found so far! :party:

Bill

Thanks all for the advice!
I wound up getting a new 2018 V7 III Special in Nero with 3 miles! The bike was delivered on Friday and unfortunately due the weather/snowstorm in the Northeast I haven't been able to ride her yet.

Congrats man,
I had the same problem trying to decide between the 2 of them too. I went for the V7R0UGH. The Stornello is a cool bike but I'm not a big fan of the Colors, too loud for me.

Back