• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 II Racer or Griso?

AbnMike

Tuned and Synch'ed
My 2017 V7III Classic is going to be replaced by Piaggio due to a repeated check engine light. There's a thread in the V7 forum on it - needless to say, Piaggo/MG and the dealer are stumped. No matter what they do to it (New exhaust, new ECU, repeated lambda sensors, remapping, un remapping, trying Euro Maps, re checking valves, new plugs, new throttle bodies, etc) the check engine comes on and the sensor fails within 100 or so miles of riding. So Piaggo is taking it back.

I don't know the details of what Piaggio will offer until next week or the week after so right now I'm just making a couple of guesses. I imagine they will offer me an exact replacement (2017 V7III Classic).

I'm not convinced I want an exact replacement.

My local dealer has the following two bikes:

2016 Griso 8V SE (new, 0 miles, unsold model)

2016 V7 II (not III) Racer w/ABS (0 miles, unsold model).

So if you had a choice between these two bikes (not saying I will but I like the idea), which would you choose and why?

For background I'm 6'2" 200lbs. Mostly a dirt bike rider (I have a slew of them). I've had Ducatis and Yamaha RDs in the past for street bikes.

Location will be the Western Slope of Colorado....one of my concerns is that the V7 may not do well at altitude and over 10' mountain passes, but I don't know...just judging by my current riding in the hills of WV on my V7,

My 2017 V7III Classic is going to be replaced by Piaggio due to a repeated check engine light. There's a thread in the V7 forum on it - needless to say, Piaggo/MG and the dealer are stumped. No matter what they do to it (New exhaust, new ECU, repeated lambda sensors, remapping, un remapping, trying Euro Maps, re checking valves, new plugs, new throttle bodies, etc) the check engine comes on and the sensor fails within 100 or so miles of riding. So Piaggo is taking it back.

I don't know the details of what Piaggio will offer until next week or the week after so right now I'm just making a couple of guesses. I imagine they will offer me an exact replacement (2017 V7III Classic).

I'm not convinced I want an exact replacement.

My local dealer has the following two bikes:

2016 Griso 8V SE (new, 0 miles, unsold model)

2016 V7 II (not III) Racer w/ABS (0 miles, unsold model).

So if you had a choice between these two bikes (not saying I will but I like the idea), which would you choose and why?

For background I'm 6'2" 200lbs. Mostly a dirt bike rider (I have a slew of them). I've had Ducatis and Yamaha RDs in the past for street bikes.

Location will be the Western Slope of Colorado....one of my concerns is that the V7 may not do well at altitude and over 10' mountain passes, but I don't know...just judging by my current riding in the hills of WV on my V7,
I would pick the Griso. I doubt they will give you that choice, but even if I had to chip in more money I would pick the Griso. But for me and how I ride the V7 is not enough motor. Yeah, I know it is enough motor to get me from point A to point B, but that is not why I ride. I ride for fun. And while a well handling motorcycle can be fun even without a lot of power, a well handling motorcycle with more power is typically more fun (to me). As a second or third motorcycle a V7 would be fun, but the wife and I already have a V65 Lario (in addition to a Griso 1100, a Daytona, and a V11sport). I would not want a small block as my only motorcycle. I really like motorcycles that handle well, but all things being equal I would rather have more power to go with that well handling chassis.
I used to own a Buell Blast. Every time I rode it I enjoyed it. But I did not ride it often because it was so out gunned in the motor dept. It was a lot of fun to ride in certain situations, but it was rarely the bike that grabbed my attention and begged me to ride it. Eventually I sold it to someone who might enjoy it more.
But there are plenty of V7 fans on here, and I am sure many of them would say they would take the V7. But I would take the Griso in a heartbeat.
Good luck with all this.

P.S., Cool place to move to. We take our Jeep out that way once a year.

Good points. For where I am now the V7 is great because it's mostly small back roads and it's a great flickable commuter. I've definitely felt like needing more power when on the Interstate. What I wanted was a decent sized bike I could ride 2 up around back roads in WV and for that it was perfect.

Moving to CO I'll probably do much more riding (since it won't rain every 4 hours) on much bigger roads which is why I was eying the Griso.

Good points. For where I am now the V7 is great because it's mostly small back roads and it's a great flickable commuter. I've definitely felt like needing more power when on the Interstate. What I wanted was a decent sized bike I could ride 2 up around back roads in WV and for that it was perfect.

Moving to CO I'll probably do much more riding (since it won't rain every 4 hours) on much bigger roads which is why I was eying the Griso.
To me, my Griso is a couch. A really well handling couch. I can ride it for a long time without issues. The only thing I did to adjust it was better handle bars. But from what I hear the new ones come with better handle bars. The stock suspension isn't all that great, but you already saw that with the V7. It can be made much better, but even stock I find it handles really well for a 500 lb motorcycle. Perhaps the only problem with my Griso is that I have three other cool Guzzi's. If it wasn't for the other Guzzi's my Griso would be my favorite motorcycle.
What part of Western Colorado? The Jeep is why we go, but there are times I really wish we were on motorcycles.

What part of Western Colorado? The Jeep is why we go, but there are times I really wish we were on motorcycles.

Grand Junction area. Haven't decided on where yet, anywhere from the Mesa out to Loma. Work is relocating me as soon as my house here sells. If I end up in Glade Park for a house then my ride to work would be through the Colorado National Monument every day.

Grand Junction area. Haven't decided on where yet, anywhere from the Mesa out to Loma. Work is relocating me as soon as my house here sells. If I end up in Glade Park for a house then my ride to work would be through the Colorado National Monument every day.
Cool. South of there is a small town called Gateway, Co. The road in and out of that town (141) is an awesome road, especially south of town. To the west the Book Cliffs out there are really cool. And from there it is a short distance to Moab, UT. Rt 128 south from I 70 into Moab is amazing. It follows the Colorado river along some spectacular cliffs.
South of Grand Junction, Montrose is a great place. In Montrose there is Ted Nelson's Steakhouse. One of my favorite steakhouses anywhere. And south of there Ouray is a really cool town.
I really like that part of the country.
Congrats to you.

Lordy.

What a choice ... assuming Piaggio gives you such a choice. They or dealer may be amenable to some sort of workable deal.

I, too, vote Griso, for all sorts of reasons mentioned and unmentioned above. But, always a bit Charlie Brown, it would hardly cause me to grieve if "forced" to task another V7. My Stornello makes me grin just thinking about it.

Still, topography and distance are so different out there compared to the tightly compartmented roads where you are now.

Best wishes; keep us posted.

Bill

Lordy.

What a choice ... assuming Piaggio gives you such a choice. They or dealer may be amenable to some sort of workable deal.

I, too, vote Griso, for all sorts of reasons mentioned and unmentioned above. But, always a bit Charlie Brown, it would hardly cause me to grieve if "forced" to task another V7. My Stornello makes me grin just thinking about it.

Still, topography and distance are so different out there compared to the tightly compartmented roads where you are now.

Best wishes; keep us posted.

Bill

Yeah I have no idea what they'll offer, I know I'm not taking the bike back. It's already far past being a "lemon"

I was just thinking I bet the dealer would love to get old stock off the floor and make room for new and it would be a wash for Piaggio since they need to replace mine, but I'm creative like that. They may say "take this 2017 same model or nothing" at which point I would assume lawyers would need to be involved and I'd want all my money back as well as compensation for time and all the other stuff allowed under the lemon law.

Hoping we can avoid that so was just wondering aloud. I like both bikes. Definitely like the idea of more power on the Griso and I would never be able to afford one brand new except for it being a 2016 unsold model....but I do so like the look of the Racer, and as I understand it the V7II didn't have any sensor problems like the V7III exhibits.

Thanks for all the responses, we shall see what happens!

It will be interesting to hear what happens. In CA, for non Moto Guzzi bikes, I know of cases where they got the exact same bike (and they wanted that) and cases where they got all their money back (and that's the option they wanted).

Not sure if you are happy happy with your dealer, but that dealership in Accident, Maryland has some crazy low prices on MG bikes ... might work out best financially to get all your money back and then go to that MD dealer for a new bike.

All I can add to this conversation is that at two years old and two years later this hooligan bikes fun factor is still a perfect 10.
15Enh2048p

Cool. South of there is a small town called Gateway, Co. The road in and out of that town (141) is an awesome road, especially south of town. To the west the Book Cliffs out there are really cool. And from there it is a short distance to Moab, UT. Rt 128 south from I 70 into Moab is amazing. It follows the Colorado river along some spectacular cliffs.
South of Grand Junction, Montrose is a great place. In Montrose there is Ted Nelson's Steakhouse. One of my favorite steakhouses anywhere. And south of there Ouray is a really cool town.
I really like that part of the country.
Congrats to you.
A Griso, and that location. Forget about it... What a dream ride covered in powdered red. And grab a buffalo blu burger and a cold brew in Fruita for me please.......

I was first interested in the V7 cafe racer, though extremely glad i ended up with a Griso.
Didn't take long to adjust to the well handling, powerful Guzzi. The intimidation disappears as soon as you begin to ride it.
I also own a SR500 for smaller round town rides if i choose.
Griso all day long.....

Any update ?

Any update ?

Finally got around to looking at the Griso at the shop. Piaggio informed me a month or so ago they would make the trade, but with crap weather, the dealer 45 minutes away, and trying to move to CO I didn't get there until yesterday to check it out. Piaggio is going to make the trade, even-steven, and the shop is delivering it tomorrow, just in time for us to move to CO in April.

Unsold 2016 stock with 10 miles on the ODO.

Back