• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Air cleaner.... Ugggggggggg

roadventure

GT Reference
I changed the air cleaner on my 2014 California for the first time today at around 15500 miles on the odometer. What a huge PITA! For an item that needs to be changed on a regular basis it is a major production to remove and replace. I am sure I could design a top-load access that would take no more than 2 minutes to change. Why in the world MG decided to use an air box design that requires removal of both side panels, battery cover, battery, relays and misc other electrical parts is beyond me. On the bright side the original OEM air cleaner appeared to not even need replacing... :mad:

My hands wouldn't fit either so I used a screwdriver to unclip the lower air box retaining clips.

I just remove the side covers and use a (Ullman SW-10 - one of my favorites, on Amazon or eq) hook tool (below) to pop off and re-install the clips. No need to remove anything else. Agreed it is a poor/annoying design.

IMG 0219

I ...Why in the world MG decided to use an air box design that requires removal of both side panels, battery cover, battery, relays and misc other electrical parts is beyond me...

Moto Guzzi is like every other vehicle builder out there. There is very little margin on the sale of a new motorcycle, especially when there are dealers who are content selling for a few hundred dollars over their invoice price. So, the manufacturer realizes that their dealer network has to survive, so they have to make a living, hence they design machines which are not user friendly but rather practically require the services of a dealer due to the complexity now of what was once simple events. This is why I bailed on BMW and Ducati. If I had to pay for another damn near $1,000 service I was going to kill somebody. That is precisely the reason I bought my Stelvio in 2012 and why I refuse to pull the trigger on an Eldorado even though I really like the looks of the bike. I refuse to be married to a dealer service bay. I do all of my own work and have for several decades now.

Moto Guzzi is like every other vehicle builder out there. There is very little margin on the sale of a new motorcycle, especially when there are dealers who are content selling for a few hundred dollars over their invoice price. So, the manufacturer realizes that their dealer network has to survive, so they have to make a living, hence they design machines which are not user friendly but rather practically require the services of a dealer due to the complexity now of what was once simple events. This is why I bailed on BMW and Ducati. If I had to pay for another damn near $1,000 service I was going to kill somebody. That is precisely the reason I bought my Stelvio in 2012 and why I refuse to pull the trigger on an Eldorado even though I really like the looks of the bike. I refuse to be married to a dealer service bay. I do all of my own work and have for several decades now.

I'm doing almost all work on my Touring 1400 and I basically learned motorcycle servicing essentials on that bike. I think you won't have any problems with Eldorado if you have a couple decades of experience on your belt. PDFs with technical details of all parts and systems are available, along with the service manual which is indispensable and extremely useful IMO.

I do my own maintenance as well, especially since the closest dealer is 160 miles away. As far as the OEM Service Manual goes... basically it's madding. If there are 8 steps involved you are lucky to see 2 of them. The illustrations are very deceiving as in the case of replacting the air filter which shows the air box with the battery & electronics removed. I now document each task I do with pictures & the tools I end up using to accomplish it. The next time is about 80% quicker.

Making Mechanics Out of Riders Sm .

Yes, the design could have been more user friendly. I can't say I subscribe to the "Keep dealers employed" model of why things are the way they are. I must admit I am little surprised to see this much grumbling about something this simple. I for one enjoy the time spent doing maintenance on my bikes. The only things I have taken my bike in for was warranty work on a Temp sensor issue and having new tires put on rims. I wanted to watch the final drive disassembly, I had a feeling there was a trick to that plastic piece and wanted to see it done first. Taking out the battery and a side panel or two gives one the opportunity to clean out any dirt that accumulated, or to just spend some quality time with the bike while the snow melts.

Would it not be easier to remove the air box completely and install an air filter like the one on GTM01?

I have done the 1400 air cleaner on my 2013 Touring a few times now. I have endured the poor access and contorted fingers, the maddeningly fickle clips. Last week, I tried a new approach. (I didn't find taking the side covers off to be much use). I practised sliding the rear tail of the clips into their grooves until I got a feel for how they sat when in the correct position. I removed the two upper clips, and the lower clip on the bike's left side. I was able to set the filter cover into place after a few tries without dislodging the right side clip, then locked that clip. The two top clips are easy. The left side clip required me to use my left hand, while facing the rear of the bike. Because I had practised, I was able to 'feel' the clip into its groove, then lock it down. No fallen or lost clips, 5 minutes, job done. This was an hour and 25 minutes less than previously.

Stephen

Gave up on the two side clips after struggling for literally 2 hours to put them back in place as every attempt lead to them dropping off somewhere inaccessible. I used all the tools at my disposal. Took the side panels and the ancillaries off, for better access and still no joy. I think my fingers are too fat and too short. I now just wedge some small dense foam pieces between battery and airbox lid - time to remove and replace - 2secs:D:D

I'm sure many of us have seen the German guy and his Youtube videos for the Cali 1400. They are very good (if only I spoke German) and there's several of them. This one in particular shows the guy wrestling with the airbox lid like the rest of us from 10:15 onwards. Remember this guy probably practiced lots before making this video

Would it not be easier to remove the air box completely and install an air filter like the one on GTM01?
My thoughts exactly, which is why I DID remove the air box completely. See my Airbox Elimination post. Fun winter project.

after reading all the messages I decided to take a look at the air box. Totally agree on the difficult scale so I also went with just the top clips and high density foam stuffed between the battery and air box cover it seems like it will seal well thanks Paul for the tip.

Back