• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Le Mans IV 1985 no start

thierry roullier

Tuned and Synch'ed
I tried to wake up the bike over the past few days after a long winter where this new to me bike started very well. I did change the battery (odyssey). For this I had to move the tank. I removed the cute aluminum air tubes pretending to be air filters and replaced with K/N pod filters as airbox was removed by previous owner. That's all the changes I made. Of course gas pipes were put back in position and locked

1) engine turns around vigorously when pushing start button
2) I have good blue/white spark on either cylinders. Spark plugs are on the dark/wet side though
3) Choke is on and cables system seems to be working
4) I removed gas cap to ensure no suction issues
5) gas is flowing and gas is 3 months old

Yet not even an interest of a start. I removed the Air filters to see if this would make a difference. No luck.
When I switch the contact off there is a Big Bang

Any proposed next steps would be greatly appreciated! thanks. Thierry in Chicago.

If plugs are wet & smell like fuel then the choke slides may be stuck.
Try this:
Turn fuel petcocks off.
Put OLD plugs back in.
Try starting. Let it crank over a few times then stop, then repeat, then hold the button & let her spin.
If it tries to fire off then it probably is a fuel issue either choke sticking or possible float/needle valve seat sticking.
Sometimes if a plug has gotten wet they will not work properly.

Remove air filters & get a can of spray carb cleaner & 2 new plugs.
Install two new spark plugs.
Leave fuel turned off.
Turn key on.
Do a quick spray of carb cleaner in each carb.
Try starting.
If it fires on the carb cleaner you have a fuel issue.
Check choke slides first.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I will try that and report. Bike is still very cold from the Chicago weather. I just got myself a guzziology manual and will read this as well.

My T3 was doing exactly the same thing. It had spark, plenty of fuel and would backfire when I let off the trigger. I replaced the Lucas electronic ignition with a new Dyna III with new 5 OHM black coils and it fires on the first try. I think my old coils may have been the culprit.

OK I tried option 1: close fuel taps and let it crank. No luck and big explosion.

Lots of fuel flowing off the carbs so it seems flooded. I cranked again with throttle open to ty as well. No luck

I could feel the needles moving when accelerating

I am going with the hypothesis that the carb floats are blocked in the open position so I will check this next.

OK I tried option 1: close fuel taps and let it crank. No luck and big explosion.

Lots of fuel flowing off the carbs so it seems flooded. I cranked again with throttle open to ty as well. No luck

I am going with the hypothesis that the carb floats are blocked in the open position so I will check this next.

If the floats have been sitting in gas for a long period, they may become heavy. On a bike of that vintage, new floats would not be out of the question.

If floats were the culprit then couldn’t you turn on the petcocks until the bowls were full, then turn them off. Then go thru with the start. It should at least fire up.
I’m betting on electrical. What ignition system is installed?

Funny thing is when I go to start the T3 the dogs run for the hills. I thought I was going to blow the exhaust system apart. When I pull the Lemans out they could care less.

Last edited:
That explosion could be a good sign.
Remember what I said about plugs that have gotten wet may not work properly?

Sounds logical to me. If you want to be sure try the steps below.

Try This:
Leave petcocks off.

Pull bowls on carbs & let all fuel drain out.
Replace bowls.
Install new plugs. IMPORTANT !!!!!
DO NOT TURN ON PETCOCKS.
Spray carb cleaner into carbs.
Crank.
If she fires & runs then the problem is fuel.

If she won't run or even try to run the issue is electrical.
Possible points are needing attention (if the bike has points).
Bad/weak coil(s) etc..

If floats were the culprit then couldn’t you turn on the petcocks until the bowls were full, then turn them off. .

First post, he has blue spark. Later he says fuel is running out of carbs. Floats have nothing to do with turning petcocks on or off.

If you have a Dyna 3 ignition sys, it will spark w/turning on and turning off the key. Don't confuse this w/out of time. I would shine a timing light in inspection hole. If no light shines no spark in wires. I'd get new plugs if they been damp w/fuel.

Success!! Thanks for everyone for answering my question. I did try most of the options above and what finally did the trick was installing new spark plugs. Finally we had some sunshine in Chicago and I was able to take her for a short run.She now runs like a locomotive. I very much appreciated everyone's help in this.

Back