• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Engine swap idea - "Toyota Guzzi"

guzzisti91

Tuned and Synch'ed
Just a hair-brained idea floating around my head for quite some time, i have long fantasized about attaching a car engine to a 'Guzzi box. The candidates were an alloytec V6 from a commodore, 6G72 "cyclone" V6 from a magna, & any boxer 4 from a subaru. However, the subaru & mitsubishi engines are too wide & the holden motors are just junk. Then i found the 1.2 litre vvti's from the '05 yaris were only $500. The compact size, high reliability & the right amount of punch make it the perfect choice for a potential swap.
What challenges do i face? I have no engineering experience at all (but that never stopped anyone) & i intend to keep the fork & entire rear end. The plan is to create a new front frame to an extended design of the original. What flywheel & clutch do i use? Which starter motor? Would the resulting machine need an engineering certificate in NSW or VIC? I will not do anything without another bike to ride nor without a full design on paper ready to rock

Old VW air cooled boxer engines were quite commonly put into Beemer frames back in the 70s and 80s. They made outstanding outfits, but I've seen them as solos too.

"Tom Toad", in WA, had a fabulous rally bike. An outfit built around a Leadwing frame with a 3.5 litre Leyland V8. Auto tx and all! It was always a welcome attraction at Black Duck Rallys.

My $.02... plenty of these type of projects *can and have been* be done, just up to you as to the end result for use and enjoyment. If you are building it to build it and have some smiles, do it. If you think you'll end up with something you will enjoy riding, that will be debatable as to whether or not going around corners or stability matters to you. Know that it will take 2-4 times longer and equally as much money to get it sorted. The big one would be will the motor fit at all without MAJOR work, and then how to mate the motor to the gearbox, and solving the clutch and related. No small tasks, any of them.
Do keep us posted if you choose to tackle it!

Subaru engines...
Mazda bike Motorcycle with subaru car engine

V-Dub:
64 carengine

Mazda Rotary (My bud Rodney built this):
Aguiar rotary motorcycle

My $.02... plenty of these type of projects *can and have been* be done, just up to you as to the end result for use and enjoyment. If you are building it to build it and have some smiles, do it. If you think you'll end up with something you will enjoy riding, that will be debatable as to whether or not going around corners or stability matters to you. Know that it will take 2-4 times longer and equally as much money to get it sorted. The big one would be will the motor fit at all without MAJOR work, and then how to mate the motor to the gearbox, and solving the clutch and related. No small tasks, any of them.
Do keep us posted if you choose to tackle it!

Subaru engines...
View attachment 16491 View attachment 16493

V-Dub:
View attachment 16492

Mazda Rotary (My bud Rodney built this):
View attachment 16494

Thanks for the advice. My idea was to measure up the current frame, download some freeware blueprinting or design software, then design & build an extended front frame that will not only accomodate the engine & radiator, but also bolt right on to the rear end just like the original. An extra 10cm should do the trick. Challenge here is deciding which metals to use & how much welding is involved (i intend to do as little as possible). The clutch issue i believe to be related to that of the flywheel. The 2NZ engines i was looking at are majority auto, so they have no flywheels. Unsure if the Guzzi flywheel can be used, but that would make things much easier. My main concern is whether or not the 2NZ-FE, at 63kW & 121Nm, will blow up the Nevada gearbox i intend to use. The gearing is as tall as an '01 accent (i used to have one of those), but those motors had less torque than the 2NZ.
& yes, i intend to throw it into corners, so i don't want to make the thing too long. Weight is no issue - the BMW flying bricks weighed a lot, but were still quite flickable.

Bare in mind that i'm going by the principle of twice measured, once cut. I will not attempt this until i am confident i can do it & have the funds to finish it. But, i have already priced a few parts - engine at $440, external fuel pump at $130, i've seen exhaust-grade piping at $20 per metre (also comes in bends of all sorts), radiator plumbing wouldn't cost any more than $100, but i reckon getting an engineering certificate is what's going sting me

A Moto Toy ?

Sounds like a great project, but did you ever thought about all the mess, er ... sorry : wiring required to fire a modern Toy engine ?

From my point of view, all that sounds feasible but if I were to do that, I would start by building a frame jig, buy a donor car - with a working engine - and then dismantle the thing to try and mate it to a Guzzi. The plans I would do with all the date available at that point and latter on.

About the starter and clutch, issue: I think it is safe to assume that Toyota parts would safely handle the torque of the corresponding engine - plus you would already have them if you proceed as above.

Easy to roughly depict, somewhat harder to properly achieved, though.

A Moto Toy ?

Sounds like a great project, but did you ever thought about all the mess, er ... sorry : wiring required to fire a modern Toy engine ?

From my point of view, all that sounds feasible but if I were to do that, I would start by building a frame jig, buy a donor car - with a working engine - and then dismantle the thing to try and mate it to a Guzzi. The plans I would do with all the date available at that point and latter on.

About the starter and clutch, issue: I think it is safe to assume that Toyota parts would safely handle the torque of the corresponding engine - plus you would already have them if you proceed as above.

Easy to roughly depict, somewhat harder to properly achieved, though.

You just described my plans. But, i was going to grab everything in the engine bay instead of the whole car due to space issues. But, this may not happen for a few years - as next year is my last shot at a working holiday visa

Well ... that sounds even better, but you should take the whole harness and especially any part connected around the ignition key, when in doubt - to enforce your chances of success.

I don't know much about Toyota practices, but I know for sure that anti-theft devices can be hidden close to the steering column - near the ignition contactor - on some VW.

Love your responses, guys. I will definetely try this in the next 2 years regardless of where i end up, & i will create a thread & post my results if my account still exists by then.
I am unsure what this forum's rules are when it comes to inactivity, nor do i think i would remember my password. I plan on (reluctantly) selling the Nevada so i may train as a ski instructor & go on a working holiday visa through Europe, so chances are i'll be inactive for about 2 years

Back