• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Top speed 35 MPH!

Don Quixote

Tuned and Synch'ed
2013 MG... So where do I start? Bike all warmed up trying to take it on the highway. The onramp is an incline...bike is in 2nd gear engine revving around 4000 RPM bike goes as fast as a 50 CC Chinese made scooter..maybe even slower.
Now on the highway and no more incline.. straight path. Bike in 3rd... won't go past 35-40 MPH!
Shifting thru gears.. 4th.. 5th... engine revving 4000 RPM or so and speed steady at 35-40 MPH tops!
Downshifts into 4th..3rd... no improvement/result. I mean it's embarrassing to say the least.
No problem shiffting just that for some reason the bike acts as if it's top end speed is 40! What gives?
Thanks in advance

Yes, there is a limp home mode, but you would have flashing on dash if that was it. When was the last time it was tuned? Sounds like tight valves maybe. Need more info! Is it a V7 model?

It is a 2013 V7 Stone. No flashing on the dash. As per prev. owner the valves were "done" every summer. Maybe... maybe not.

I would set the valves and continue from there, screw adjusters on rockers under the covers. I'd get a set of cover gaskets first. Service manuals are in download section on forum. You could also take it to a dealer for a full service, then you know everything has been done and mileage.

Nope no vacuum sound whatsoever when opening the gas cap. Just wondering if the valve clearance could be the cause of this problem. It looks like the bike is in limp mode but I'm not getting any warning light. It's a 2013 so I suppose if there would be a warning light it would be the check engine light since the other light indicators have no bearing in this case.
Could this be ECU related? To me this makes more sense since the mechanical/valve clearance part cannot be so much out of whack as to create such embarrassment when I'm being passed by the food delivery guys on Chinese made 50 CC.

but what great gas mileage! Sorry couldn't resist. Good luck, she should top out around 105, way past scooter speed.

Yes both cylinders are firing.
And no, the gas mileage actually is extremely poor. I've posted another thread here a while ago relating to the pathetic gas milage I'm getting.
Over the past few months the riding (short) was done on city streets...the usual stop & go. Can't really go fast due to traffic congestion + speed cameras everywhere. So when I took it on the highway the other day I fully realized that something is wrong because it wouldn't go past 35/40 and the engine was revving like crazy even in 5th gear without gaining any speed. As a side note the MG dealer charges $145/hr here so I'm trying to get to the bottom of this by myself if I can.

I'm with dave on this one. If revs are climbing but road speed isn't, the likelihood is great that the clutch is toast. It could need simply an adjustment, but if it's been driven while slipping that way for any extended period of time, it probably needs new friction plates at least.

All the way....to?
I've never tried really to rev it all the way "up". But I'll do it asap.
So if the revs stop @ 4,000 let's say and won't go any higher that would be indicative of...?

... Potentially, an occluded air filter. Take out the air filter element if this is happening. If the engine then revs freely, you know what to do. :)

If the engine revs freely past 4000 rpm in the garage in neutral and on the road, but does not gain any speed when you're in gear, that means the clutch is slipping. Check that there is the appropriate amount of free play in the clutch cable and at the actuating rod.

(Note: when I'm riding my V7III Racer, I'm only very rarely turning the engine over at speeds less than 4000 rpm!)

Got it. I have a K&N air filter and last I checked (2 months ago/200 miles or so) it looked fine...clean.
I'll try the air filter removal suggestion. Btw any idea as to the cost of new friction plates work ?

After some checking on YouTube and based on the feedbacks here I've arrived at the conclusion that the clutch is slipping. Tomorrow I will check the lever and actuator play and adjust accordingly. I should've paid attention to this but I didn't because my previous ride from many years ago (Yamaha FJ 1200...an amazing machine) never gave me any problems of any sorts over the years.
Hopefully the clutch plates are not toast. But if they are I'm going to tackle the fix myself.
I have a hardware store near by and hopefully they have in stock a sledgehammer. With that I should be able in no time to give the proper service to my V7's clutch. I believe the MG shop manual states that no more than 5 good whacks should be administered in a particular area. So I'll err on the side of precaution and go with 4 ;)

My guess not the clutch, pinched breather line, dirty fuel injectors, something living in air box, electrical system, could pull the tank and have a look under it and check out everything too.

Back