• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cooling Fan

Uss

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi,

Does the cooling fan come on at or above a certain temperature or does it normally come on anyway while running. I have been in a slow moving traffic situation recently where the ambient temperature was 28C and above 80% humidity when I got a low oil pressure indication, possibly due to insufficient cooling. I switched off the motor and restarted after a couple of minutes and the warning went off and it happened once more. I couldn't see if the fan was on or not. However today the temperature was 27C and when I parked the bike I didn't hear any fan. I have heard it running on occasion after a ride but never noted the temperatures before.

How is it supposed to behave/operate?

Cheers...

Yes, it's supposed to come on at 125*C, at least that is when the 4V Norge motor turns on. AND it doesn't always work properly. The ECU operates it from the oil temp sensor.

I have a manual switch on the fan motor of my Norge. I have not felt the need to use it since I bought Todd's flash tool and the bike is running richer and cooler.

It would turn on when it got very hot in the California desert (actually, all California is a desert! :devil:

Never noticed it here in Kiwiland, but then I'm probably not paying any attention.

Have you tried 12v across the motor directly? Yours might be shagged.

In my experience (2013 Touring) riding in the heat won't trigger the fan. Stop-start and crawling traffic with prolonged idling can trigger the fan. It is noisy, so you will know if it is running. The low oil pressure light, at idle I assume, in crawling traffic would indicate the oil is hot enough for its viscosity to have dropped too low to maintain pressure. Checking the fan motor as suggested is a good idea. My fan wouldn't turn off and I had to replace the sensor. You could have the opposite problem. The low oil pressure warning at idle in crawling traffic means the oil is hot enough for its viscosity to drop too low to maintain idling oil pressure. Does the engine have 10W-60 in the sump? If yes, the fan should be kicking in before your oil gets this hot.

Stephen

In my experience (2013 Touring) riding in the heat won't trigger the fan. Stop-start and crawling traffic with prolonged idling can trigger the fan. It is noisy, so you will know if it is running. The low oil pressure light, at idle I assume, in crawling traffic would indicate the oil is hot enough for its viscosity to have dropped too low to maintain pressure. Checking the fan motor as suggested is a good idea. My fan wouldn't turn off and I had to replace the sensor. You could have the opposite problem. The low oil pressure warning at idle in crawling traffic means the oil is hot enough for its viscosity to drop too low to maintain idling oil pressure. Does the engine have 10W-60 in the sump? If yes, the fan should be kicking in before your oil gets this hot.

Stephen

I checked my records and the dealer who serviced it has mentioned 10W-40 on the invoice. Nevertheless I do expect the fan to come on before the low pressure warning.

In a perfect world maybe. Easy to check system function. Go ride 20mi, come back & let it idle. If you have software you can watch the numbers rise and at 125*C fan comes on. If it doesn't find the problem.
The 10/60 oils are designed to shed heat and hold it's viscosity longer in heat than a 10/40.

Reactions: Uss
That's not what is specified. Take you bike back the the dealer and get him to put the correct oil in.
Good point, thanks....it was Peter Stevens who did the last service, being the official dealers I expected them to know what they are doing.....One more point to check in future...

I checked my records and the dealer who serviced it has mentioned 10W-40 on the invoice. Nevertheless I do expect the fan to come on before the low pressure warning.

The bike requires 10W-60. The 10W-40 is getting too thin to maintain oil pressure at a temperature below the fan threshold. I'd swap out the oil.

Stephen

Back