• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Play in the "reaction rod"

archercc

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Has anyone else experienced this?

When cleaning and going over the bike I noticed I could very easily wiggle the secondary rod labeled as reaction rod above the driveshaft. Only a few MM but it feels like its got play at both ends. I dont recall that being the case. I see a part called a "silent block" on the engine/frame side but the bushing looks to be integrated on the wheel side.

Is this something easily rebuilt? The bike has (dont recall the exact amount) like 20-25k miles on it. They are hard miles admittedly though, I ride it like a naked sportbike. About the only thing it hasn't done is a legit trackday (a few aggressive parade laps maybe). if I am rebuilding this is there an upgrade to more durability? Ive seen fancy rods but I dont care about aesthetics. I just want optimum performance and durability. Ive also heard/told that some of the clunk of the transmission can be attributed to this being a piece.

Additionally if I am breaking the back of the bike down is there anything else I should be in there doing?

Ok I think I am "mostly" there.

I found the information on the front and the upgraded bushing so will do that. Has anyone had any experience rebuilding the rear? I found a 1200 parts manual that lists out about 7 parts that look to be held in with two circlips on the eye protruding from the rear differential, cheap enough that Ill go ahead and try and do that too. Im guessing 1200 and 1100 parts are interchangeable in that regard.

So, all that is really left is identifying anything else I should be doing during this service.

Have fun w/those clips, what a pain. The back is similar to the front one. Worn ones will let the wheel hop when letting out the clutch and make noise w/doing so. The fender will be vibrating a bunch.
I would also grease the swingarm bearings and needle bearings in the shock/swingarm linkage while things are loose.

I changed out the factory silent block. Proximal to the engine side. Cleared up mega play and low rpm clacking to almost perfection. But if you dont get a bit of slop and slap feel you did something wrong......

Ok ordered the parts.

Whats the deal with the clips? Are they just standard circlips or should I be exploring another tool/option to make it so Im not just swearing at my bike?

Just round clip, ends are strait cut and I had a hard time getting the pic under it being tucked inside.
Do you live by a Guzzi/sidecar guy?

Not that I am aware of. I know some Guzzi guys (about 1/3rd of the guys I ride with have a Guzzi as one of their bikes) and I know some sidecar guys but not aware of one with both. Now I live in Smyrna, right on the Hooch though, I used to be in Druid Hills.

If you're ever hitting up Augustine's on a Thursday night or Victory Sandwich Bar on a Tuesday night and see a lot of bikes there its a good chance Im in there somewhere (the hotter it gets the more likely I'll be on the Griso but now I also bring the superbikes out).

I worked on it in perimeter off of Peachtree/Dunwoody, his neighbor had MV's and I remember seeing him when I worked at Riders Hill.

Ok so the front is done. Was actually pretty easy, old one was all wobbly. Only thing of concern is the paint on the frame where the bushing mounted was flaking and had some light corrosion. Cleaned it off, treated it with an inhibitor and tied it all back up.

With JUST the front done its a big difference in how tight that rod is. Still a hair of play in the back but waiting on a few parts from Guzzi on backorder to finalize that.

For the front should I be preloading anything? On the car when doing control arms they usually spec you preload that suspension to slightly more loaded than the car itself (the idea being the bushing is in its most "neutral" position while doing work). Right now its just preloaded with the weight of the bike, I didnt have anyone sit in the seat or anything.

Thinking the back doesn't matter. Looks like its just a centered version of a ball joint so there is no load when its being twisted. Its funny, this thing is just like a control arm for a car basically.

I worked on it in perimeter off of Peachtree/Dunwoody, his neighbor had MV's and I remember seeing him when I worked at Riders Hill.
You "Guzzi Steve?" I think I met you at Marietta Sportscar once when I brought the Griso in to have the forks done.

Yes, I worked there too. Is this Mark(Legato)? I retired cause of the drive but still wrench if you need something done.

The arm shouldn't have any play once you get the back one done. Once you sit on bike it's got the preload. It is a control arm just like a car sort of, it's on your swingarm.
It'll make noise and back end will hop when you let out the clutch if they are loose.

Last edited:
Ryan Stewart is my name, Ive just had a few people mention you from when you were at Riders Hill I havent been around the shops much because I have a pretty well equipped garage and the Griso is really easy to work on so far.

Will be interesting to see how different it feels once I get it all done.

Possibly, before i knew who you were.

So I finally got to ride the griso after replacing the front bushing and its a noticable difference. Dont think the bike EVER felt as good even 20k ago (even before there was noticeable play in the rod). Cant wait to finish the rear once I get the last parts in. Probably wont be much of a difference as the play in the rear is miniscule compared to what was going on up front.

Are there any other known weak points I should be looking at like this? If a few hundred dollars and hours of my time is going to make the bike more fun to ride than when I first had it then its money/time well spent.

The only other thing is make sure swingarm bearings are greased along w/lower rear shock linkage and steering head bearings. The shock linkage has small needle bearings that are loose and not in a cage. When you pull it apart they all fall out on floor, so put a pan under. That way you catch them.

Back