• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Lifting V7 Stone III

Mikael Weiss

Just got it firing!
Hey guys,

I'm started to get ready to perform the first service on my V7 III and check the valve clearances.

Any suggestions on how to lift the V7 III to get the back wheel off the ground? I've seen people lift prior V7s by the oil pan but, this model's pan seems to have a curve to it so, it may tip?

Has anyone ever done this procedure WITHOUT lifting the bike?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

I have added centerstand to my bike, everthing is easier.
But if you want to change mufflers in the future. Do not buy MG centerstand. Its stopper is and only attached on OE LH muffler. Just buy Hepco centerstand instead.

Oh! What's about rear wheel roller stand which most people use when lube the chain.

S l300

I have added centerstand to my bike, everthing is easier.
But if you want to change mufflers in the future. Do not buy MG centerstand. Its stopper is and only attached on OE LH muffler. Just buy Hepco centerstand instead.

Oh! What's about rear wheel roller stand which most people use when lube the chain.

View attachment 16756

That seems like it might work great and, it's cheap! Thanks for the suggestion. Ideally, I'd also have a center stand but, it seems it would be around 350$USD to get one to Canada.. so, a bit much IMO. Those rollers should do the trick and can be had for around 30$! Perfect.

or buy the drive on wheel chock from harbor freight for about $48 using a 20% off discount coupon. keeps ir pretty upright. great for storage and checking oil. then just put a jack with a board under the crank case and put into sixth gear. easy to tap it over then.

If anyone has photos of jacking a V7III, please post them. I've put off buying a jack because I want to lift by the frame rails but the exhaust is REALLY close and lower than the rails. I'm wondering if it's possible to lift without some special cradle between jack and bike?

9CA63300 2485 40AB B0A9 4D4047D5A616 6D0FD0AE 3B23 45E9 8353 6520B2427AB6 Ok, ok ... it’s a II.

Also have rear on a Pitbull.

But I have one of the HF front wheel chocks and intend to use that with the V7 III I just bought from my brother when we get home from Atlanta, at least when too lazy to put it up on the Handy lift.

Your point about exhaust clearance is well-taken. I will let you know if someone here doesn’t come on sooner.

Bill

or buy the drive on wheel chock from harbor freight for about $48 using a 20% off discount coupon. keeps ir pretty upright. great for storage and checking oil. then just put a jack with a board under the crank case and put into sixth gear. easy to tap it over then.
Except they do not ship to Canada. :(

I've actually been looking into what the best options are for stands since I would like do most of the maintenance on the bike myself. Here are the few options I have seen so far:
  • The most common one out there is Pitbull for us.
  • Baxley Sport Bike Chock (seems to run around $200 or so)
  • Abba Superbike Stand (apparently works with a Ducati Multistrada fitting kit for the V7)
  • Dynamoto Stands - they said they will have an option for the Guzzi's this year. Really like that you can rotate the bike 360 in one spot on these stands, but they are $$$ (see the Triumph example below).
Dynamoto-motorcycle-stands-triumph-thruxton-r_31875195-8aa6-438e-ab5d-7f73f1ec2f61_1024x.jpg

• Dynamoto Stands - they said they will have an option for the Guzzi's this year. Really like that you can rotate the bike 360 in one spot on these stands, but they are $$$ (see the Triumph example below).
I would love to hear from anyone using this system, just how much effort is needed to pivot the bike around 180 degrees. I have a small space, with just enough room to pivot the bike on it's axis, but not much spare.
Thanks

Hey guys,

I'm started to get ready to perform the first service on my V7 III and check the valve clearances.

Any suggestions on how to lift the V7 III to get the back wheel off the ground? I've seen people lift prior V7s by the oil pan but, this model's pan seems to have a curve to it so, it may tip?

Has anyone ever done this procedure WITHOUT lifting the bike?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
I use a motorcycle jack available at CT or PA for around $100. I made an adaptor out of scrap wood and rubber pads that lifts my V7iii at the rear of the oil pan and the lower rear frame cross bar (behind the cannister). I've used this jack for years with all my Brit bikes.

Attachments

• IMG_0647.JPG
    IMG_0647.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0648.JPG
    IMG_0648.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 209
My 2013 V7 has the MG stand which does lift the rear wheel. I put a piece of 1/2 inch plywood on the floor under the center stand. Works great.

Except they do not ship to Canada. :(
But we have Princess Auto which is the same idea as Harbour freight. I use this lift which is relatively cheap. Set lifting points on lower cross frame rail behind exhaust (don't lift from the exhaust!)
princessauto.com/en/detail/1-100-lb-atv-motorcycle-lift-table/A-p8667818e
Now I do drive it into a wheel chock first (As Vagrant suggests) so the front wheel is captive. Also available from Princess auto

For those interested: I ended up getting the Rollastand for 33$ on fortnine.ca. It's quite small and light but solid enough and doesn't flex at all. With this, I was able to check valves clearances without an issue. (err.. without an issue regarding getting the wheel to turn anyway..)
fortnine.ca/en/hardline-rollastand

I've looked at the pix and read the blurb on the site - fortnine.ca/en/hardline-rollastand
I can't for the life of me reconcile what I see (pix) with what I read (below in bold):

Hardline Rollastand
  • Most advanced motorcycle stand on the market providing easy relocation of the bike while on the stand
  • Quick foot pedal operation of heavy-duty castor base allows the bike to be lifted and rolled to a desired location
  • Durable chrome moly steel construction with corrosion resistant powder-coated finish
  • Solid injection molded rubber top with High Roller logos to ensure constant grip of the bike
  • Maximum weight limit 350lbs.
  • Patent pending

Nor can I see how it might hold the bike upright, there-by earning the title "stand".

That looks like an incorrect copy-paste of a blurb for another product to me. :)

I looked it up on the Revzilla.com website. It's basically just a simple pair of rollers that you can put the rear wheel on, with the bike on the side stand, that let you turn the rear wheel easily. I could use one with my ride-on front wheel stand to hold the bike upright for maintenance work.

With you so far, but how does it provide, "... easy relocation of the bike while on the stand"?
And where is the "Quick foot pedal operation ..."?

I reckon they've either (accidentally) put the wrong description on the shown item or else it's over-the-top false advertising. The item shown can't do either of those things.

Back