• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 III headlight bracket removal

greenhood

Just got it firing!
Hi everyone, I've just installed a JW Speaker headlight and new front/rear turn signals on my V7 III Racer. The last step has me stumped: how to remove the OEM headlight brackets. The Motodemic/JW Speaker brackets clearly divide into 2 pieces to be fit/removed. I don't see a spot for the OEM brackets to do this. Do I just need to pry them apart? Any suggestions on technique or tools to do this without damaging the forks would be much appreciated- this is the last step before I can get the bike back on the road.

You drop the forks down to slide the brackets off the top of them. I've no idea what else might need to be undone to facilitate sliding the forks far enough down, but you certainly won't need to remove the forks altogether.

Yes, you have to slide the fork tubes down in the triple clamps until they clear the headlight bracket mounts. I usually do this by jacking bike so that the front wheel is off the ground and the bike is securely positioned. Then the front wheel and fender comes off, the brake is carefully unbolted and hung so that the brake lines are not stressed, and I loosen the clip-ons and triple clamps ... slide each fork leg down, one at a time, to remove or install a bracket.

It's important also to measure where the fork legs are positioned in the triple clamps, before you slide them down, so you can restore them to the same position when you put them back. I measure from the bottom triple clamp top to the top of the fork tube.

If I may ask, what model turn indicator lights did you use? And, presuming they are LED models, what was needed in terms of resistors, etc, for them to work correctly? I've long considered this conversion because the JW Speaker Adaptive LED motorcycle headlight is the best headlight I've tried on a motorcycle—had one on my Ducati Scrambler—but I have been a bit reluctant to deal with the expense and work of having to change the indicators like I did on the Ducati. On that bike it was a major PITA to do this stuff. It's a lot easier on the Racer as long as you get the right bits. :D

thx

Thank you both for your advice. More things to learn, I suppose.

Godfrey, I used Rizoma Iride indicators from Todd's shop (also fit his tail tidy and GP megs so wanted something similarly compact on both ends). No resistors needed. I timed the flash rate of the OEM indicators. With both the front and back indicators connected, the flash rate is identical to the OEM incandescent (with only the back fitted, flash rate is twice as fast, which helped me to catch a loose connection on the front). So didn't bother with resistors.

For the front signals, I clipped the OEM indicators off and soldered bullet connectors to the wire ends so that fitting the signals would be easy (blue on the bike to black on the turn signal and black on the bike to red on the turn signal) and so I'd have versatility to change later if desired. Could have removed the entire OEM wiring, but this was quicker than mobilizing the fuel tank etc. The length was slightly redundant but hides nicely within a bit of loom in the space behind the big, flat-backed Speaker headlight bucket. I used the short (middle length) headlight brackets. Would have liked to use to super-short, but it would be harder to find space for all of the cables behind there.

For the rear, it took a bit more figuring - I used the Baak bullet connect harness which worked well but but required soldering to route both brake light wires into one. I got the short harness which barely reached but kept things neat. Todd sent a harness as well, but it would have required soldering each connection. You certainly have more experience than I do working on bikes, but if makes it easier to find for others, the taillight connector sits deep to the rear brake fluid reservoir, just behind the side panel.

Incidentally, I didn't use the round shims that came with the Speaker headlight because the Piranha flyscreen bracket spaced things perfectly.

Thanks, that's useful info.
I would really like the better headlamp, I'm just reluctant to dive into Racer to modify again because I'd rather be riding it ... :D

G

I'd like to see how your racer looks with the headlight, tail tidy, and new indicators when you're finished.

Thanks, that's useful info.
I would really like the better headlamp, I'm just reluctant to dive into Racer to modify again because I'd rather be riding it ... :D

G
Fair enough! It was pretty quick to do the front and back overall, despite my lack of motorcycle modification experience. I ended up just cutting the OEM brackets off with a Dremel because I had 15 min to get the job done while my kids were napping. Took about 5 min and left the forks etc perfectly intact.

I'd like to see how your racer looks with the headlight, tail tidy, and new indicators when you're finished.
Sure thing. These are suboptimal phone photos I took for my own documentation, but hopefully they give you the idea. At some point I’ll adjust the flyscreen backet to get rid of the overhang, but it’s a minor concern.

Upload 2019 4 15 9 26 38
Upload 2019 4 15 9 26 59
Upload 2019 4 15 9 27 33
Upload 2019 4 15 9 27 53

Back