• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Who's Adjusted the Valves on the New Cali?

Fast - Thanks for the tip. I have the same lift in my garage in storage for a friend. Tried it and had the front raise as you said. I hooked a couple tiedowns to the ceiling and pulled it level for the first tire change. Last one I just put it on my Handy Lift and blocked it up. worked good for the front though. :)

Guzzi Lou - I had them in right side up as I noticed the grooves and reinstalled as they came out. As for the plug gap I see Guzzi recommends 0.024 - 0.028" (0.61 - 0.71mm). That is the gap of most old points and condenser Hondas. Almost anything with a newer ignition uses 0.032" (0.81mm) or better. I noticed my original plugs were at 0.040" (1.02mm) or slightly more at 11,600+ miles. I pulled the new ones out of the box and they were at 0.035" (0.89mm). I figure NGK knows what the gap should be and they had the little cardboard tube to prevent them from getting "readjusted" in transit and they were all the same so I left them there. My trust in Moto Guzzi manuals is lacking a bit. Bear in mind I do not have the manual with me now so my metric conversions may be off a few hundreths of a mm from the manual.

Last edited:
Thanks for that confirmation abbienormal, the c1400 service manual calls for a SP gap of .6-.7mm (.024"-.028").
If NGK ships them at .035" (.89mm) that is quite a bit difference, I set mine at .65mm, .9mm is almost one-third more open that what the manual calls for. Wonder what other motor uses the NGK LMAR8F, if any ?
I will have to re-gap them to the .9mm spec and see what that does for gas mileage, spark knock, etc. I have been getting between 40 and 45 mpg since new, now has 7K of spirited riding on the clock.
F1400

No, not for the black rubber stuff. Really depends on the mileage. I just replaced a customers on a Stelvio at 35K mi cause it was showing seepage but not dripping. I wipe them off so they are oil dry w/brake clean, same w/the groove on cover & head surface they meet. Clean very lightly as not to stretch the gaskets.

Did a (first on this bike)valve adjustment and gapped plugs yesterday. Have owned many solid liftered bikes and cars, still had to study for where the feeler gauge goes. All were a little tight except left intake which were loose. Plugs were .40. Set things right bumped the starter and saw immediate improvement.
Spark plug gap on new plugs are never to be assumed as correct. Have 50+ yrs wrenching, have put in probably 1000's of plugs out of the box correct maybe 20%.
2nd gear required 3-4 feet of space to roll through TDC twice, remember compression stroke is every other stroke. Just SET a longer Phillips screwdriver in the center plug hole. Was really easy to determine TDC.

Did a (first on this bike)valve adjustment and gapped plugs yesterday. Have owned many solid liftered bikes and cars, still had to study for where the feeler gauge goes. All were a little tight except left intake which were loose. Plugs were .40. Set things right bumped the starter and saw immediate improvement.
Spark plug gap on new plugs are never to be assumed as correct. Have 50+ yrs wrenching, have put in probably 1000's of plugs out of the box correct maybe 20%.
2nd gear required 3-4 feet of space to roll through TDC twice, remember compression stroke is every other stroke. Just SET a longer Phillips screwdriver in the center plug hole. Was really easy to determine TDC.

It is much easier if you remove the rubber plug at the front of the motor and use the nut on the end of the crank to turn the engine over.

To each their own.
Had to remove plugs and valve covers already. Don't know know how it could possibly be any easier. I don't think I could have gotten to that nut in the 30 seconds it took to find TDC. But that's just my take on it.
No jack, no flash light, no extra tools, no bending over. Sit on bike, place long shank Phillip's in top plug hole, bump into 2nd, roll bike forward till screwdriver comes up then look at rockers -if both valves are closed-wiggle bike back and forth for true TDC.

Just completed a waste of time valve adjustment (none of them needed adjusting). Was pretty simple.
Anyone else find the valves to not even need adjusting after you get into the job?

Just completed a waste of time valve adjustment (none of them needed adjusting). Was pretty simple.
Anyone else find the valves to not even need adjusting after you get into the job?
Same with my bike, from now on I will check the vales every 20000 km.

Was going to say... First two (attempts at adjusting) adjustments, only moved one valve on the second adjustment. About to come up on my third, will be interesting. Still running on original plugs, as they've looked fine both times so far. Gap was within reason both times... FWIW...

so - did the first valve check/adjust myself from new (they were a little loose), also did the 2nd at 10,000km and they didn't need adjusting. Did them again yesterday at 19,000km after a longish 2 week ride/vacation. Only 1 exhaust valve (top right) was tight. I kinda knew something needed adjusting as it was not idling well when first starting in the morning, ran rough when you blipped throttle and hiccuped down the road, almost sounded like one cylinder was not happy, until the warmed up properly (gaps get bigger as bike warms up), so the bike kinda tells you when the valves as tightening up with mileage.

Back