• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Touring vs Custom vs Audace vs Eldorado

Guzzi1400AUS

Just got it firing!
Hi all

My very first post so please be kind and also taking a steep learning curve into motorcycles. I have started to research the Moto Guzzi brand and intend on purchasing a California model, I am an Italian and whilst I do live in Australia and these bikes are not very popular I have to own one some time in my life and now would be nice!

Not sure if I should go for he Touring, Custom, Audace or even the Eldorado. I am also considering both new and used options.

My first issue is that I am a heavy bloke just over 300lbs and also very short so if one of the models I am considering could be lowered more than the other that would be a key decision maker for me.

My favourite look of all the models is most certainly the Audace with red engine covers and wide rear tyre but I prefer the riding position of the Eldorado. Can anyone confirm if I were to purchase an Audace could I create the exact same riding position as the Eldorado by swapping over the bars, footboards and saddle?

Does anyone know which of the above models could be lowered the most?

Looking for some advice and any recommendations.

Regards,

Guzzi1400AUS

Have you sat on one? They are already pretty low. If you lower them, you are going to find the cornering clearance compromised I think.

Stephen

From what I have read The ElDorado will handle a little better it has a slightly different geometry.

Another point in favor of the ElDo is rear tire size is smaller altho I have not checked size/prices I'm thinking it may be a little less expensive.
If you are going to be doing a lot of riding rear tire wear/replacement expense can be become a factor.

Personally altho I like the looks of the Audace a lot I think I would actually go for the Red El Dorado.
I really like the retro modern look.

Have you sat on one? They are already pretty low. If you lower them, you are going to find the cornering clearance compromised I think.

I will be sitting on an Audace and Eldorado for the first time in the next day or two. I notice the seat height is 740mm standard and I think this is going to give me grief.

Personally altho I like the looks of the Audace a lot

This is my issue, I also love the look of the Audace.

I will be sitting on an Audace and Eldorado for the first time in the next day or two. I notice the seat height is 740mm standard and I think this is going to give me grief.

There is a current thread on this forum about lowering....https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/possible-to-lower-a-california-1400.18909/#post-146225
There is/was a lowered seat as a Guzzi option.
There is also an Australia/NZ forum under the 'Regional' heading

I have sat on an Eldorado and Custom today. I found both of them comfortable and could get away with the ride height that they have but would remove the little spacers under the seat to reduce the seat height by approx 1" and dial the rear suspension to its lowest setting to give me that little bit lower height which in the case of the Custom I sat on would have been about 0.5" lower.

I did find the footboards on both the Eldorado and Custom a little bit forward for my liking or maybe it was because I have never sat on a bike in this position before? Does anyone know in regards to the footpegs on the Audace, do the feet sit slightly to the rear of the bike versus the position of the feet on the footboards that the Eldorado and Custom have?

I won't be able to find an Audace to sit on in Melbourne, Australia and I just want to choose the right bike.

I haven't sat on the Audace either but looking at pics I would say that the pegs are Mid-controls.
I liked the foot position on the 1400 Custom I had but I was always trying to move my feet to the passenger pegs.
The bike "just felt" like that was the "proper" riding position.
That's another reason the Audace is appealing to me.

Have you tried contacting the Moto Guzzi Owners Club Australia, it's possible one of their members may have the bike you are looking for and would at least allow you to try it for size.

Audace or El Dorado = can we get a comparison? I am anxious to make a decision before deal expires. Thanks!

Audace is more of a budget model. Doesn't have the great headlight with LED running lights like the El Dorado (and the Custom and Touring) has. Has regular footpegs too.

I've ridden both and for me (especially as I'm "two up" most of the time) it had to be the Eldorado. Saying that having ridden both solo my ride of choice would be the Eldo. Audace certainly the more 'focussed' of the two but I just felt more comfortable on the Eldo. For some reason it also felt lower. Don't know about prices in Aus but there is an absolute beauty of a red Eldo for sale in the UK with the genuine MG leather bags and screen at £11000, bargain, come across, buy it, ride across Europe and ship to Aus(you know you want to). Anyway back to the point, my 2 cents worth. Audace, more focussed and sporty but I would have to raise the bars and fit a screen of sorts. Eldo, laid back cruising but can still hustle along if required. Upgrade the suspension on either model, fit louder/more free flowing pipes and invest in Todd's fuelling kit, either way your on a winner. Cheers Ron.

Audace is more of a budget model. Doesn't have the great headlight with LED running lights like the El Dorado (and the Custom and Touring) has. Has regular footpegs too.

I'm not sure "budget" is the right term. "Alternative" would be better. I chose my Audace precisely for those features

Back