• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bike won’t start

Guzzis aren't very waterproof, and you live close enough to the ocean, covered or not, that it will take some constant attention in time as things start to age. Dave at SCP will take care of you as needed I'm sure.

Guzzis aren't very waterproof, and you live close enough to the ocean, covered or not, that it will take some constant attention in time as things start to age. Dave at SCP will take care of you as needed I'm sure.

Good to know! There have been few occassions in the past few weeks when I ride in the rain, or park my bike at the office all day drenched in the rain (but it still starts and rides OK). Hopefully more sunny days coming up.

Are there things I can do to waterproof the bike, other than not riding in the rain?

Everytime I went to Dave to check on things like clutch lever, front brake feels squishy, or too much throttle play, he said "it's pretty normal..." :D I guess I just keep on riding.

Everytime I went to Dave to check on things like clutch lever, front brake feels squishy, or too much throttle play, he said "it's pretty normal..." :D I guess I just keep on riding.

Dave's a great guy! I've had work done there in the past. There would be others that would pamper you, fart around, and charge accordingly. Count your blessings!

My VIII wont start either. Different symptoms but maybe same diagnosis, battery?
Battery voltage = 12.4x Volts
Turn key on, everything powers up.
Neutral light on.
Engine cranks just 1/2 second. No other clicking.
Neutral light goes out.
Kickstand up.
Faint click (relay?) but no crank.
Fussing with gear lever to get neutral light back on, mixed results. Neutral light has mind of it's own. But can confirm neutral by rolling bike.
Sometimes leaning the bike back onto side stand will get the light to come on but still no luck starting.
Engine doesn't even try the 1/2 second crank thing again unless I turn the key off and back on.

Attach jump starter battery pack to battery- same results. I can't even jump start it?

My VIII wont start either. Different symptoms but maybe same diagnosis, battery?
Battery voltage = 12.4x Volts
Turn key on, everything powers up.
Neutral light on.
Engine cranks just 1/2 second. No other clicking.
Neutral light goes out.
Kickstand up.
Faint click (relay?) but no crank.
Fussing with gear lever to get neutral light back on, mixed results. Neutral light has mind of it's own. But can confirm neutral by rolling bike.
Sometimes leaning the bike back onto side stand will get the light to come on but still no luck starting.
Engine doesn't even try the 1/2 second crank thing again unless I turn the key off and back on.

Attach jump starter battery pack to battery- same results. I can't even jump start it?
12.4 volts is actually pretty low for a standard 12 volt battery, especially for a 12 volt AGM battery. You should be upwards of 12.8 volts, it is a small difference, but details like that matter.
The system will detect low voltage and abort.
I have seen where a battery was bad and you could not even jump start it with the bad battery connected, it simply ate up all the voltage.
If you hold the clutch in, the neutral light should not matter.
It sounds like your battery is toast. Possibly you can save it by putting it on a charger, but I would replace it with a quality battery.
You can measure the voltage while you are trying to start the bike. But at 12.4 volts I would replace the battery unless it will take and hold a charge (it should show 12.8 volts fully charged, and stay there).
Todd likes Lithium batteries, I like AGMs.

Other than what Mike posted on above, check the battery leads for tightness and grounds for corrosion. That said 12.4 is on the low side. You can certainly try a trickle charger, but that tends to mask a failing battery... then you’ll get stranded when you least expect it. Stock battery life is pretty short these days.

Thanks guys. The problem was indeed the battery low voltage. Motor on!

Just some update... the bike has been great. So what I may have noticed (insisting on the word may and from my own observation):

I roll the bike backward before attempting to hit the start button. Ignition key to ON, engine switch to ON, kickstand UP, squeeze clutch lever, kick the bike backward out of the driveway, come to a complete standstill / semi-rolling backward a bit, hit the start button - this is when it is slow when starting up.

But if I do not roll the bike in the first place, or roll it forward a bit instead of backward, it starts right away.

Again, it could be nothing and I'm probably just imagining things.

Either way, the bike works great except a couple of weak start, which I'm used to - if I ride for a bit, turn off for gas or snacks for 5-10 minutes, start it up - it may start "weak" like its going to stall, but it will start... squeeze the throttle and its all good. Dave said its normal, so its normal lol

With key on, if the headlight is on, you are consuming battery power. Once you turn on the key and the ECU does it check, start the darn thing. Stop playing around.

Hello,

I finally could get my bike out of its winter storage state. The battery is freshly fully charged (via charger at home) and just installed. And I have this :

gear on neutral, I tried once with clutch lever up too, engine emergency switch off (double checked that one).
Basically starter does this nasty sound, dashboard lights flickers and everything seem to reset, engine light goes red.
I would have said maybe battery issue but the battery is pretty new (from last year), was stored inside during winter and regularly charged up during winter.

Any idea what that could be ?

Last edited:
That sounds like the solenoid chattering, usually the symptom of a flat battery, the solenoid pulls in and then the starter tries to spin, it draws a lot of current and there is not enough to hold the solenoid in so it drops out and the cycle starts over again. Of course it could also be bad electrical connections but looking at the way the dials reset I reckon you have a knackered battery

I agree with you, it really feels like flat battery. I just don't get how the battery could be flat as it's pretty new, was stored inside during winter and was (according to the auto charger) fully charged. I'll look into the connections with solenoid if something looks disconnected there and maybe invest in a lithium battery.

But thanks for your input as what you say kinda reassure me that it can possibly be just the battery and not something more expensive.

So I can do the classic jumpstart a car with another car but between a car and the bike ? If so I'll need to ask a friend with a car and jumper cables but that's a good idea to pin down the issue on the battery or connections or eventually something else.

The battery was in charge for a few hours (charger Optimate4 indicated battery OK after the test cycle). With a multi-meter I have 12.56V with battery not connected. And 12.11V with the battery connected to the bike with bike ON.

This is what happens :

12.56 is still low, but it does seem to be starting. It sounds like it only fires on one cylinder, but it is hard to tell from a video.
By the way, you can jump start a motorcycle from a car, but unlike when jump starting a car from another car when you are trying to jump a motorcycle from a car I recommend NOT starting the car first. Just use the battery power from the car, not the battery power and the charging system from the car.

I think you have a bad battery. See my post #44 above. The symptoms were weird, I couldn't even jump start it. 12.5V was still too low to start my bike. It was indeed the battery.

I tested with jump cables. Here is the result :

Notice how the trrrtrrrtrrrtrrr is more powerfull now. But it won't start. Doesn't that show that the battery is not the issue but it's something else (and costly ? :( )

I think you should read post #44 & #45 above. I couldn't jump mine either. It was the battery.

I had similar problems with my riding lawnmower last year. Battery showed fully charged and good with battery tender. It had no. Cranking amps and was difficult to jump start with my pickup running. And the battery in my bike when it failed had same symptoms as my lawnmower battery. A new battery solved both my problems. You can have the battery tested at a auto parts store or it could possibly be under warranty where you bought the battery.

Back