• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1400 Break In

KCM

Just got it firing!
First time Guzzi guy. At the risk of creating more debate probably than tires or oil, recently read a piece by a guy calling himself "Moto Man". Some of his points are well taken, tho I've had no problems with my new engines in the past. His contention of use of petro base oil for break in causes an issue as I believe the 1400 comes with syn in it from the factory. I'm guessing Guzzis can use auto oil due to the pre unit construction. Even at that, I've found no petro 10w60 or even 10w50 on the market. Thoughts on break in procedure? Thanks.

Use good quality oil that meets/exceeds factory specs.

First 500 miles vary the throttle.
In other words don't ride at the same speed for extended periods.

Only allowed to bounce off the rev limiter a few times (Sarcasm just don't make a habit of it)

Pretty much ride it according to your style.

DON"T LUG THE ENGINE!
Way better to run around the 4000 mark.

Takes about 20,000 miles to fully break in a Guzzi but after the first 500 just ride the beast.

Change all oils frequently & check adjust valves.

"I've found no petro 10w60 or even 10w50 on the market. "

Typically, only synthetics can cover such broad number spreads in their viscosity ratings.
There are no circumstances when it is beneficial to use a lower quality oil than spec.
The engine has Nikasil bores. This means, as already noted, a long break in period,
but apart from never lugging the engine, no special treatment is required.
If by 'auto oil' you mean there is no wet clutch to worry about, that is correct.
Just stick to the spec 10W-60 synthetic.

The engine loves to spin, and does not reward riders who expect it to be like a Harley.
Let it run up and down the range, enjoy yourself.

Stephen

"I've found no petro 10w60 or even 10w50 on the market. "

Typically, only synthetics can cover such broad number spreads in their viscosity ratings.
There are no circumstances when it is beneficial to use a lower quality oil than spec.
The engine has Nikasil bores. This means, as already noted, a long break in period,
but apart from never lugging the engine, no special treatment is required.
If by 'auto oil' you mean there is no wet clutch to worry about, that is correct.
Just stick to the spec 10W-60 synthetic.

The engine loves to spin, and does not reward riders who expect it to be like a Harley.
Let it run up and down the range, enjoy yourself.

Stephen

Most likely Moto Guzzi used Nigusil which is a MG patented alloy/coating for cylinder bores.

^ interesting on the Nigusil. I wonder if Nikasil, which is used by many car manufacturers in lieu of cylinder sleeves was a copy of that? Or vice versa ... actually, just looked it up.

Nikasil invented in 1967 by Mahle. Nigusil introduced by MG in 1979.

I guess the title of my original post was misleading, or my post wasn't completely read. As I said I've broken in many new engines over the years without any problems. My question has more to do with Moto Man and his break in regimen. Maybe no one is familiar with him?

I am familiar with Motoman, and attempted to apply this technique to my new BMW 1200 GS in 2005. The first difficulty was that from the dealer on one side of the city to the mountains on the other side, on my way home, was 90 minutes of riding where full throttle runs were not possible. I made up for this crossing the mountains. I did early oil changes etc. The bike ran great for the 100,000km I owned it, but also used some oil for the first 20,000km. My current 1400 Touring bought new in 2013 had a similar early life, has never used oil, seemed to be really free running at about 20,000km, and with Todd's fuelling and full exhaust system, absolutely hammers. As Motoman repeatedly emphasises, get the bike to operating temperature first. Once there, get stuck in. I always get an early oil change in.

Stephen

Stephen
Did you run the OEM syn oil until your first oil change? If so, how many miles?

Yes, always the OEM spec full synthetic. I use Penrite 10W-60 PAO and ESTER.

Stephen

First change was when I got the bike home from buying it, so 430km.

Stephen

Back