• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 ECU reliability ?

Godfrey

High Miler
GT Famiglia
I realize that the V7III bikes have only been out a short time so it’s hard to gauge long term durability... The newest part of this latest generation of motorcycles, to my old-fashioned ways, is the full-control ECU electronics. I feel like I’ve become my old mechanic mentor who was suspicious of electronic ignitions when it first started appearing in the early 1970s ... “Ya never know when it’ll just go FRATTZ! and the engine starts running backwards! ...” :wasntme:

I’m curious what people’s experience with the V7 series ECU has been, and particularly if there have been any major changes to the V7III ECU. I’m also curious about overall V7 (particularly V7III) reliability/durability as well.

Thanks in advance!

I’m curious what people’s experience with the V7 series ECU has been, and particularly if there have been any major changes to the V7III ECU. I’m also curious about overall V7 (particularly V7III) reliability/durability as well.
Well covered on this Forum; MIU ECU since 2013. Only two things you can do to harm it is over-charging abuse (non-issue so far on the '17s), or spray cleaners. There is a download on it here on the site if you want more info.
Not enough time yet to speak of durability, but my V7 rental fleet since '13 has been stone reliable. I expect the same of the newest iteration V7 III.

I went to downloads to get it, but it the page says it's not available if I don't somehow contribute to the forum. Huh? How do I do that? Isn't it available to purchase?

BTW, test rode the V7III Racer today. *Perfect* jetting, superb throttle response. I'm in love. :D

I went to downloads to get it, but it the page says it's not available if I don't somehow contribute to the forum. Huh? How do I do that? Isn't it available to purchase?

See "Donate" tab at the top of the page. Once you contribute to site support you have access to all the downloads.

DoH! Done! ;-)

I'm happy to help support this site. There's plenty of value to be had here! Just downloaded electronic copy of the owners manual, service manual, ECU manual and a few other goodies. Excellent!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Is the ECU in my V7iii Special a Marelli MIU G3?

Perhaps I missed it somewhere. Are the ECU and the Fuel Injection system the same thing? I thought that the ECU was the "ringmaster", controlling/acting over the injection, ignition, rev limiter, ABS, error detection and code and many other things.

Is the ECU in my V7iii Special a Marelli MIU G3?

Perhaps I missed it somewhere. Are the ECU and the Fuel Injection system the same thing? I thought that the ECU was the "ringmaster", controlling/acting over the injection, ignition, rev limiter, ABS, error detection and code and many other things.

ECU controls everything but he ABS. ABS has its' own controller. As to which ECU it has, check your owner's manual.

Yes it is a MIU G3 Look up fuel supply in specs of bike in service manual. It is bout the same ECU as on Piaggio's scooters. Well tested & reliable.

my V7III ABS special has failed with an error of P1607 invalid signal (saved data file) and according to the workshop manual it says replace the ECU, bike is only just over 2 years old and i have to buy a new ECU, not good

my V7III ABS special has failed with an error of P1607 invalid signal (saved data file) and according to the workshop manual it says replace the ECU, bike is only just over 2 years old and i have to buy a new ECU, not good
1607 is just a saved data file, that can only be cleared by dealer software. I wouldn't spend money on guessing. This is not likely your issue, unless the bike's oil level was high and it's oiled the ECU/TB, it's not the issue. The ECU/TB manual clearly states it is not designed to flow anything but air, and it also says do NOT clean with any spray agent. Due to Guzzi's silly breather design and the manual stating to overfill the oil level, I suspect this will happen more and more.

cheers for that, where can i get the manual? what happened was i had a puncture in the front wheel, and rode home, fitted a new tyre and tube and pushed the pads back to get the wheel back in, now i have a very spongy front brake and both the warning lights are on and the bike has no power till i cancel the abs then power comes back , tried bleeding the front brake but no air comes out but the brake is still soft,
any ideas would be helpful
Ken

cheers for that, where can i get the manual? what happened was i had a puncture in the front wheel, and rode home, fitted a new tyre and tube and pushed the pads back to get the wheel back in, now i have a very spongy front brake and both the warning lights are on and the bike has no power till i cancel the abs then power comes back , tried bleeding the front brake but no air comes out but the brake is still soft,
any ideas would be helpful
Ken
Google or for paid contributors here, the DOWNLOADS tab above.
It's been covered before on this Forum on how to properly bleed ABS. Try a search.

1607 is just a saved data file, that can only be cleared by dealer software. I wouldn't spend money on guessing. This is not likely your issue, unless the bike's oil level was high and it's oiled the ECU/TB, it's not the issue. The ECU/TB manual clearly states it is not designed to flow anything but air, and it also says do NOT clean with any spray agent. Due to Guzzi's silly breather design and the manual stating to overfill the oil level, I suspect this will happen more and more.

If someone did something stupid like put too much oil in at the last oil change and suspects the oil level was high and it's oiled the ECU/TB what is the next step to take? I drained some oil to get that at proper level now and cleaned up a little oil I saw in the airbox. I also tried reverting back to original ECU flash setting. Bike in current state isn't ride-able unless traction control is turned off (0) and than it works fine. With other settings it stumbles on acceleration.

It helps to know what bike you are talking about and what you've done to it.
But, I suspect you have changed tires or otherwise confused the traction control settings on a 2017+. Dig out your book and do a TC reset and be aware it's a bitch to hold the speed they ask for. Find a long, flat, no traffic spot to do it. Also, even when done it seems to only work well in setting 1.

It helps to know what bike you are talking about and what you've done to it.
But, I suspect you have changed tires or otherwise confused the traction control settings on a 2017+. Dig out your book and do a TC reset and be aware it's a bitch to hold the speed they ask for. Find a long, flat, no traffic spot to do it. Also, even when done it seems to only work well in setting 1.

Its a 2017 V7 III racer, it has Slip ons & K&N air filter with a CPU reflash supplied by Todd. Original tires and noting changed there. Did a oil change a week and and did a couple short rides with no issues. Was about 30 miles into a ride at mostly highway speeds when we pulled off the road for around 10 minutes. Started bike up as usual with the typical flashing yellow lights until rolling to set ABS. This time as a pulled away the bike stumbled and lights stayed on. Restarted with same result. Since it idled fine I thought I'd try turning off traction control as it seemed like a wheel sensor that was confused. The light stayed on but bike was back to its normal self riding it. After getting home and doing some research I saw the oil level comment so I checked that. I'll attempt to TC reset just to clear one more possibility from the list. Thanks.

Last edited:
There is a very wide tollerance for the wheel sensors on the V85 and I'm sure on your Iii also. I'd check to make sure you're in the middle somewhere and then do the reset. Several here have reported that a small deviation in tire pressure will set off the T/C as Todd said.

Back