• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1400 loud vales right side

Ya $ 100.00 bucks an hour ! He said it would take at least 3 hours plus gaskets , and those rubber seals , ya it will be close to what i said . I live in Canada everything here is twice the price !!

I just have 6 k on my Eldorado 2016 , for about the the last 1000 k i get a lot of what i think is valve noise ? Now i,m talking intermittently and specifically in the city . Maybe i don,t hear it on the highway ? However when the noise is there man it,s loud ! Scary loud ! Some days i can ride for hours and hear nothing , then the next day or the next ride it is back again . It does not seem to have a preference as to what gear it is in , what the engine temp , or outside temp are it just does it or it doesn,t ! I did an oil change yesterday no change . My local dealer says its about due for a valve adjustment which will set me back close to $400.00 ! I have read the threads and checked under and around the bike for loose whatever , but can find nothing . I am thinking maybe i should be apprehensive to ride before the valve adjustment i would hate to do major damage to this fine beast . If anyone could chuck in some input it would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

I thought mine had a valve rattle on the RHS, so posted a video on youtube (), you can hear it from about 0:49 in - does it sound like this?. Valves checked out ok and it sounds the same ever since. I've stopped worrying about it and put it down to character.

I thought mine had a valve rattle on the RHS, so posted a video on youtube (), you can hear it from about 0:49 in - does it sound like this?. Valves checked out ok and it sounds the same ever since. I've stopped worrying about it and put it down to character.

Ya , that is pretty much what it sounds like only louder ! Thanks BTW . I just got back from a ride and it did not go into that insane LOUD ?
I also filled the tank with 10% Ethanol for the 1st time , and maybe the oil change yesterday( Who knows ?) I get it these bikes have noisy valves and i can deal with it ,hopefully maybe those episodes will lesson .I love the bike regardless . Again thanks for the video .

For a valve adjustment, there are no gaskets, and the rubber seal under the valve box cover is re-used. I have just done mine for 40,000km, having done all the servicing from new. Even at my gentle pace, valve adjustment takes less than an hour.

Stephen

Wow maybe I need to find a different dealer ! I know nothing about this and I am just going by what I was told . Thank you for your input .

That must be what the book tells the dealer to charge. I had a dealer while Ron the road charge me the same thing. I felt ripped off for sure.

My 2014 has the same tappet noise on the right side. Starts around 2500rpm. Comes and goes. I started hearing it at 7000km. It's had three valve adjustments. Currently at 23,000km. Have never found anything wrong with the top end.

Like Paul said, put it down to character. Someone mentioned the fake head covers may be amplifying the noise and that sounds right to me. I wonder if you could put some sound deadening material in the covers if it really bothers you. Me, I like the mechanical noise.

3 hours! shoot they charge for taking a 2 hour lunch break and 2 smoke breaks. Just not that complicated. 45 minutes taking it really slow and careful if you have an organized toolbox. 20 minutes the second time.

I have the same on my MGX. I’ve done a valve adjustment and that’s not it.

the noise comes from the front of the block on the right side.

Im pulling off that header tomorrow to check see if something isn’t loose in there.

That ticking sounds more or a mechanical issue than a loose part IMO.

I have the same on my MGX. I’ve done a valve adjustment and that’s not it.

the noise comes from the front of the block on the right side.

Im pulling off that header tomorrow to check see if something isn’t loose in there.

That ticking sounds more or a mechanical issue than a loose part IMO.

A video with sound of your situation would help with diagnosis.

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2014 California Touring 1400. I brought it to dealer to have it checked out. It was making loud valve noises on right cylinder bu only at 2500 rpms and the again at around 3500 rpms. Weird. All valve clearances were off and adjusted but it did nothing to change the noist. The bike runs great but the noise is very irritating. Dealer says it runs great and everything is hunky dory. Anyone else have this issue? Or solution?

Thanks
J
May I suggest that you check the ceramic washers between the heat shields and their mounting brackets.

I have an older Oilhead BMW that quiets down with a rocker endplay adjustment. My 1400 is new to me so I can't say. Is there possibly something similiar?

Great thread, just adjusted my valves due to the hanging throttle issue, but of course both valve covers are leaking. The rubber gaskets looked fine when I took them off but any tricks of the trade to properly installing the gaskets? I put them on the valve cover with a little engine oil but could have messed up siding the valve covers to get the 4 bolt holes to line up. Again any tricks of the trade here would be appreciated.

Great thread, just adjusted my valves due to the hanging throttle issue, but of course both valve covers are leaking. The rubber gaskets looked fine when I took them off but any tricks of the trade to properly installing the gaskets? I put them on the valve cover with a little engine oil but could have messed up siding the valve covers to get the 4 bolt holes to line up. Again any tricks of the trade here would be appreciated.

You don't say what mileage you have, or how many times you (or anyone else) has had the covers off, but the seals are pretty durable. If they are newish, then it's most likely that they are either not installed correctly or not tightened sufficiently (I've done both and they leak for either). The seals should easily line up in a groove in the cover and shouldn't slide around once in place. Also, make sure the round ones inside the cover are in place, not just the long one on the perimeter of the cover. Try tightening the cover bolts slightly, especially if you were super cautious before, but be careful it doesn't take much to snap one off. Use feel rather than a torque wrench as the torque is quite low and you need a super sensitive wrench to feel the 'click'.

PaulDavies, thanks. 2014 California 1400 custom, purchased in May of this year, 2,300 miles, 3,500 on it now. Wanted to check the valves due to hanging throttle issue. I normally use a little engine oil on the gasket and snug down and if leaks then snug a little more. But pretty snug right now just don't want to snap a valve cover bolt. I have a 1/4 inch, inch torque might try that next. Just wanted to verify there wasn't a trick to this that I was missing. Not sure if the valves had ever been check. Previous owner said he had maintenance done at 2k but didn't provide details or paperwork.

PaulDavies, thanks. 2014 California 1400 custom, purchased in May of this year, 2,300 miles, 3,500 on it now. Wanted to check the valves due to hanging throttle issue. I normally use a little engine oil on the gasket and snug down and if leaks then snug a little more. But pretty snug right now just don't want to snap a valve cover bolt. I have a 1/4 inch, inch torque might try that next. Just wanted to verify there wasn't a trick to this that I was missing. Not sure if the valves had ever been check. Previous owner said he had maintenance done at 2k but didn't provide details or paperwork.

I guess what I would do at this point, is take the cover off and check the state of the seals again to make sure you didn't distort them during reassembly and that they are not torn or persihed at all. You didn't mention the other small circular seals in your posts above, but make sure you have put those back in place. Sorry if this sounds a bit obvious, but you have to rule out the obvious things first

May I suggest that you check the ceramic washers between the heat shields and their mounting brackets.
Hi Blakbird

Thanks a lot for your comment, I found a rattling noise at the heat shield next to the footrest on my Cali 1400 custom I just bought and took it off, the ceramic washer at the front screw was gone. Do you guys know where I could buy such a thing in the right size?

Funny thing... after taking off this heat-shield and doing a test drive the metallic rattling noise was gone but then I started hearing the here also mentioned ticking noise from the right cylinder. Anyone found out what it is about?

Back