• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V9 Agostini DB killers

AnthV9

Just got it firing!
Hey everyone,

I've had my V9 close to a year now. It's my first bike and I love it alot but it was just lacking a bit of noise so I bought some Agostini pipes. The things are gorgeous but as it's my first bike and I don't have much experience working on them I need some advice.

How do I remove the db killers? My dealer said I can bring them in and he can remove them but I'd prefer to do them myself. I can't find any videos that help. Most people seem to be taking a hammer and sort of chisel to knock them out but I wonder if there's a more.... Refined approach?

Also I'm guessing it's due to the heat but those bolts attached to the stock pipes were tightened to hell.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Just a word of caution:

When you begin modifying the exhaust you are changing how the engine performs.
The operation of the engine is computer controlled & the computer is calibrated to the factory exhaust & air filter.
To meet emission requirements the computer is calibrated to run the engine as lean as possible.
Changing mufflers & taking the baffles out will upset the calibration causing the bike to run leaner.
The computer can be re-calibrated to correct this.

You can buy those mufflers & knock the baffles out & install them on your bike without recalibrating.
You may or may not notice a difference in the way the bike performs.
From my own experience over the past 50+ years when you put on loud pipes it will "feel" like the bike is running better.
But then after awhile you realize that it is not.
At that point you begin spending money trying to "fix" the bike.

Save some time & money & do it correctly the first time.
Contact Todd who runs this forum: todd at guzzitech dot com.
He can walk you thru the in's & the outs & set you up with what you need.

Also do a little research on this forum because you are not the first of us who wanted a little more sound from these great machines.

Unless you wanna go deaf don’t take them out. I have the Agostini short pipes on my V9 Bobber. Trust me they are plenty loud.... I now wear ear plugs.
They also have a deeper richer tone with them in... I wouldn’t mess with them
I was at Agostini last year and compared both. Trust me on this!!!

You will also noticed increased power including a shorter shift between gears.
You’ll be red lining it much quicker!!!

The DB killers are held in by an internal "C" snap ring. You'll need the appropriate special pliers to do the job expeditiously.

As a compromise between DB killers or no DB killers, my DB killers have about 1/3 of their length cut off. With this mod, the mufflers sound exactly right (to my ears) and there's no need for ECU remapping.

All covered above except the one factually untrue statement of “there’s no need for ECU remapping.” A bone stock bike can hugely benefit from proper mapping. All well covered on this Forum and in the paragraph in red at the top of page, I’ve been Guzzi focused on fuel injection since 2001 with science and hard data to back it. Just not my opinion. ;)

Perhaps I misspoke. Your remapping service and programmers would very likely add some oomph to my engine, but what I meant to say is that my bike, with the Agos and 2/3-length DB killers, runs well without any obvious symptoms of needing a re-map, i.e., no popping on deceleration, no hesitation on accelerating, and no cold starting issues. So, in my opinion, it doesn't NEED remapping. BTW, my ECU has what is apparently a rare early factory map version 4533V740, dated 1/20/15. I am aware that later versions, 4533V795 and 4533V796, are problematic. My V7II was one of the first to arrive in the US, and I could speculate that its map was a prototype that was intended for good performance without considering emissions restrictions.

The GT-Rx ECU Tool and the Todd's standard remap on my stock V7III Racer improved starting and warm-up, mid-range response, and helped it rev cleanly to redline in the lower five gears. It ran "fine" as delivered, the improvement was definitely worth it.

I fitted the Agostini mufflers for the nicer sound (and because I like the way they look, and they are less than half the weight of the OEM mufflers). I've left the 'db-killers' in place because they make just the right exhaust note this way. Todd generated a custom ECU map for me based on my evaluation of his standard map for the Agostinis and what I preferred from his OEM setup map. Racer runs perfectly now— I've tuned and set up a lot of carbureted motorcycle engines in my time, I was once a mechanic and engine tuner for club racers—to the point that I can't really imagine that it could be significantly improved. Starting, warmup, throttle response ... all of that is right on the money. Racer now slams into the redline in all gears but 6th easily (it might in 6th too, I haven't really felt the need to find out what it does at those speeds... :)). Racer sounds great now, annoys no one, runs perfectly, and averages just shy of 50 miles per US gallon.

My advice is that if you're going to experiment with your Agostini mufflers, do diligence and get all the value they offer: have the ECU re-mapped to suit them. Otherwise you're leaving some of what you've paid for on the table.

G

All covered above except the one factually untrue statement of “there’s no need for ECU remapping.” A bone stock bike can hugely benefit from proper mapping. All well covered on this Forum and in the paragraph in red at the top of page, I’ve been Guzzi focused on fuel injection since 2001 with science and hard data to back it. Just not my opinion. ;)
Todd when I clicked on the link for the ECU Tuner for all other bikes except the V7...the link doesn't exist anymore.... thanks Mitch

Back