• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

I've been working on my 2007 Norge...

mylovelyhorse

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I had a Norge, then I had an oil leak and so in order to fix that (and service the bike) a few weekends ago I started working on getting things ready to replace the oil pressure sensor and do a service. This means that in the grand activity to return the large pile of bits in my garage into a more motorcyclish sort of shape, I spent some time yesterday and today in the garage Doing Things.

Yesterday first of all I replaced the in-tank fuel filter and the clips holding hose onto filter and tank outlet. I replaced the horribly expensive (~£45) fuel tank seal and put the pump / sender assembly back onto the tank. To test all is sealed okay, I'll need to put fuel back in but that can wait until the bike is closer to ready. I also have the special tool for the inner plugs now so they came out as well. One looked more or less okay but the other - well, look for yourself:

57060A91 3B83 4F03 A676 DBB5C1950062

have replaced them with new ones, probably the first time that's been done in quite a while. They're supposed to be replaced every 20k or thereabouts and so I guess it's possible these were done 20k ago. Or not...

The next step was to get the pesky oil pressure sensor in pace. This is incredibly difficult to get to and without removing the alternator I don't think there's any way I could get torque wrench on it. The first washer suffered rather from my inbuilt heavy-handedness:

03F7F838 2159 41E7 846D 457CF46261AE

I think I did it up way too tight. For the second try, I coated the thread with Loctite thread sealant and managed to get it into place but not ridiculously tight:

AE9A1B46 068E 4CE1 9D5B C769772CCBA6

Unfortunately, as we know, the only way to test it is to completely reassemble the bike and run it for a while. Hey ho.

Next - while it's all apart - the valves needed to be done. I spent an awful lot of time cleaning old gasket and gasket goo off the rocker covers & heads. After I was sure that the mating surfaces were clean:

4141E8A1 E8C9 46A0 953F 967B32BA6C05

I did the valves. Before reattaching the rocker cover gasket I lightly applied Loctite flange sealant, gave it a few minutes and popped the cover back on. I know there are disputes about using gasket sealants of any type but personally I prefer to do so. After this was all done, I was reminded by a member of the MG Owners Club on Ar5ebook that I should have re-torqued the cylinder heads first. Curses - but I'm not having it all apart again, especially as I don't have a spare set of gaskets.

I have completed the valve adjustments on both cylinders, reattached rocker covers and put the plugs back in. The next work is to reinsert the air-box. This goes in between the frame rails and has two ducts to attach to the inlet tracts on the fuel injection. They do *not* want to go on. I spent a bit of time toeing about this PM trying to get the air-box (which barely fits) into place but I cannot get the air intake ducts to go over the inlets. I have called it quits for the day to avoid frustration and errors. It looks right now as though it would be easier to drop the engine out of the frame, fit the intake nozzles properly and then winch the engine back into the frame...

I shall go back to it later and have another go. We shall see...

A bit of washing up liquid on the rubber pipes works wonders as they tend to wiggle their on way on I find

Reassemble/fit the "jubliee clips" once the rubber pipes are on the TBs

I also tend to take a nip on the jubilee clips before I make the other connections - jus to make sure that they stay put while I fiddle about

Heat!
If you don't have a heat gun. Go borrow the wife's hair dryer. Cover half of the air intake of the dryer will make the air hotter.
Warm up the rubber bits to make them comply... oh I mean plyable. and apply just a tiny bit of silicone lube to the flanges.
Patience and perseverance.
If you get frustrated, walk away for two minutes. Forcing things will end up in breakage.

Copper wssher
I had a Norge, then I had an oil leak and so in order to fix that (and service the bike) a few weekends ago I started working on getting things ready to replace the oil pressure sensor and do a service. This means that in the grand activity to return the large pile of bits in my garage into a more motorcyclish sort of shape, I spent some time yesterday and today in the garage Doing Things.

Yesterday first of all I replaced the in-tank fuel filter and the clips holding hose onto filter and tank outlet. I replaced the horribly expensive (~£45) fuel tank seal and put the pump / sender assembly back onto the tank. To test all is sealed okay, I'll need to put fuel back in but that can wait until the bike is closer to ready. I also have the special tool for the inner plugs now so they came out as well. One looked more or less okay but the other - well, look for yourself:

View attachment 17068

have replaced them with new ones, probably the first time that's been done in quite a while. They're supposed to be replaced every 20k or thereabouts and so I guess it's possible these were done 20k ago. Or not...

The next step was to get the pesky oil pressure sensor in pace. This is incredibly difficult to get to and without removing the alternator I don't think there's any way I could get torque wrench on it. The first washer suffered rather from my inbuilt heavy-handedness:

View attachment 17067

I think I did it up way too tight. For the second try, I coated the thread with Loctite thread sealant and managed to get it into place but not ridiculously tight:

View attachment 17069

Unfortunately, as we know, the only way to test it is to completely reassemble the bike and run it for a while. Hey ho.

Next - while it's all apart - the valves needed to be done. I spent an awful lot of time cleaning old gasket and gasket goo off the rocker covers & heads. After I was sure that the mating surfaces were clean:

View attachment 17070

I did the valves. Before reattaching the rocker cover gasket I lightly applied Loctite flange sealant, gave it a few minutes and popped the cover back on. I know there are disputes about using gasket sealants of any type but personally I prefer to do so. After this was all done, I was reminded by a member of the MG Owners Club on Ar5ebook that I should have re-torqued the cylinder heads first. Curses - but I'm not having it all apart again, especially as I don't have a spare set of gaskets.

I have completed the valve adjustments on both cylinders, reattached rocker covers and put the plugs back in. The next work is to reinsert the air-box. This goes in between the frame rails and has two ducts to attach to the inlet tracts on the fuel injection. They do *not* want to go on. I spent a bit of time toeing about this PM trying to get the air-box (which barely fits) into place but I cannot get the air intake ducts to go over the inlets. I have called it quits for the day to avoid frustration and errors. It looks right now as though it would be easier to drop the engine out of the frame, fit the intake nozzles properly and then winch the engine back into the frame...

I shall go back to it later and have another go. We shall see...

Take a thick copper washer the correct size and heat it up until it's blue. Then put that on your sensor.

I like to use loctite 518 where sealant is required on gaskets. It doesn't harden unless squished. the excess washes away in the oil.
For the valve covers, put loctite 518 on the cover, apply the gasket and put a thin layer of grease on the head. Then the next time you adjust the valves, the gasket stays on the cover and can be reused several times.

Back