• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge speedo/tachometer instability (again!) Paging Ghost_bullet

bobra

Cruisin' Guzzisti
*** EDITED 7 MAY ***

Corrected the name of the member I’m looking to contact!

Hi all

I'm trying to get in touch with "Ghost_bullet" who posted a similar problem to mine a few years back. Basically, my speedo and tachometer intermittently drop to 0 then back to actual speed and rpm again - it seems to only happen when the bike is warm and above about 75 kph.

I had the same symptoms last year - it seemed to self correct then one day in the process of passing a truck the bike stopped running!

I've replaced the ECU earth which got the bike running again but this speedo/tachometer behaviour has returned. I either get a "Service" error on the dash or an ECU disconnected symbol but the bike continues to runs ok. When my speed drops below 75 kph, the dash error message goes away and the bike performs normally. There are no ECU errors when I access the error codes.

If Ghost_bullet is scanning the forum or anyone knows him (I think he’s a Kiwi), any experience he can provide about how he fixed the problem would be greatly appreciated. For some reason, I cannot message him - I get a blank error message.

Of course, if anyone else has any ideas, I’m open to suggestions. I’d prefer not to pull the ECU again if I don’t need to.

Regards

Last edited:
Have you checked and cleaned the connections to the dash and the speedometer sensor? Start there and if the problem persists let us know.

Howdy, I have not had the issue happen for some time, and it was frustrating, as I also noted that when this occured, the lights also went out.

All that I have done, if pull the dash and ecu plugs, spray some cleaner, and then once dry follow with some special electrical silicone.
Put all back together. Along with ensuring that all connections from the battery are solid and clean.
I have not had a problem for a wee while now.

Very intermittently now I have had the ecu disconnected show on the display while riding, and then disappears. Odd frustrating etc, but has not left me stranded on the side of the road as yet.

Howdy, I have not had the issue happen for some time, and it was frustrating, as I also noted that when this occured, the lights also went out.

All that I have done, if pull the dash and ecu plugs, spray some cleaner, and then once dry follow with some special electrical silicone.
Put all back together. Along with ensuring that all connections from the battery are solid and clean.
I have not had a problem for a wee while now.

Very intermittently now I have had the ecu disconnected show on the display while riding, and then disappears. Odd frustrating etc, but has not left me stranded on the side of the road as yet.

When you did all the cleaning, did you get the external ground on the ECU? I've seen a poor ground cause the ECU disconnect to show up.

My Breva 1100 had an erratic idle, intermittent charging and an intermittent headlight. It turned out to be a faulty 30 amp fuse. Replaced the fuses and all OK. I read of a 1200 Sport with similar issues and it was due to a dirty 30 amp fuse holder.

I posted an update a few days ago but it doesn't seem to have appeared here! Anyway, I cleaned the ECU connectors and the dash connector with De-oxit and, so far, no problem. I check the ECU earth for tightness and it was all good (I had replaced it about 3 months ago). So, hopefully, problem solved.

I'd forgotten that the first time this happened (before the ECU earth failed completely), my riding buddies noted that my headlight was "flashing" so it seems that like Ghost_Bullet, when the speedo/tacho died, the headlight failed also.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and suggestions.

Cheers

Ahhh! It’s back! I went for a 400k ride last week and, on the way home, it all started again. Tachometer and speedo dropping to 0 and the “Service” warning light +/- the “ECU disconnected” warning. All the time, the bike never missed a beat.

So - logic suggests it’s an issue where the tachometer and speedo circuits converge - common earth or common power? Unfortunately, I can’t find the tachometer circuit on any of the wiring diagrams. I’ll check the 30A fuse and do some general earth resistance investigation and see how it goes. If any of you gurus have suggestions I’d appreciate it. This is sucking the joy out of motorcycling at the moment!

Cheers

Perhaps it's time to try another dashboard as a loaner. This would narrow the diagnostics, but finding someone to lend you one might be problematic. Good luck.

Hi all. I'm almost 3000 km from home and kinda need help...

I went to visit a friend (who owns a panigale and a tuono) who inexplicably last autumn moved from Saskatoon to Ohio USA. Explicable really (big job for wife) but still.... To my surprise, southern ohio has a lot of really nice twisty roads. Not like the rockies, or anywhere in italy or the duke's pass in Scotland, but damn good! My friend, after riding my (definitely not stock) Breva for an hour admitted that it was easier to ride fast than his tuono, cuz it's less twitchy. Yay for guzzi!! I loved the tuono, although the bloody thing is terribly uncomfortable! and twitchy.

Perfect trip, right? My Breva worked perfectly (except for the occasional startus-interuptus issue when I switch her off when warm which isn't really a new thing, but one that I have to deal with eventually).

Then...
Heavy prolonged rain last night as she sat in the mud at Redneck Woods State Park (something like that anyway)

After starting for home, after 200 km of everything working just fine, in the middle of a busy highway, my speedometer all of a sudden just quit. Needle pointing to 0 km/h. "Warning" red triangular light on. "Service" shows at the bottom of the display. No odometer, and the tripmeter is stuck where it was. The ECU doesn't know the bike is moving!

That was 500 km ago, and the bike continues running ok (less hot starting issue). But unnerving.

I have a few tools with me, but not many. I'm a long way from my nice covered heated garage. I took this photo of the RHS front wheel where the speedometer cable runs. I just honestly can't remember. That round hole with the adjacent small female threaded mounting hole... were they always empty? I can't imagine something fell off, on the other hand....

Any wise advice? Other than taking her apart in a nice clean dry rain-free shop and sealing every bloody electrical connection that ever was?

Miserable in Michigan (the locals are very nice and friendly but pronounce it myeeshyaaahgiyn!!)

Attachments

• breva speedometer.png
    breva speedometer.png
    975.3 KB · Views: 14
Early model year speedo sensors are notorious for this, as they are not fully waterproof. Do a search. Let dry out (hair dryer off of the bike might be of help) and seal with RTV per the posts here.

When I bought my bike the speedo quit with 1200 km on it. I couldn’t get that unit to register for the life of me. Since I had warranty at the time, I took it to my local dealer. Turns out it was the dash unit. Definitely worth trying Todd’s sensor fix first, far simpler and more affordable route.

That empty round hole is where the ABS sensor would fit on the Norge. It would have been empty on your Breva. The ABS equipped model uses the ABS sensor as the speed detector, and they were better made.

Thanks gents. Todd, I searched the site a bit, but didn't quickly see more info. Hair dryer where exactly? Around the speedo sensor I imagine? And what is "RTV"

since the tacho still works, and the ambient temp and the time, voltage indicator etc, it seems likely that the issue is at the sensor end, right? So no speedo therefore no odometer, trip meter, ridiculous fuel-consumption figures, average speed etc etc... anything that would require the speed/didtance to be calculated.

Hopefully my knowledge is correct?

So other than the inconvenience of not having speed or trip meter, the bike should run okay? It won't hurt it to go a couple thousand km?

thanks

Ian

Thanks gents. Todd, I searched the site a bit, but didn't quickly see more info. Hair dryer where exactly? Around the speedo sensor I imagine? And what is "RTV"

since the tacho still works, and the ambient temp and the time, voltage indicator etc, it seems likely that the issue is at the sensor end, right? So no speedo therefore no odometer, trip meter, ridiculous fuel-consumption figures, average speed etc etc... anything that would require the speed/didtance to be calculated.

Hopefully my knowledge is correct?

So other than the inconvenience of not having speed or trip meter, the bike should run okay? It won't hurt it to go a couple thousand km?

thanks

Ian

You want to know what RTV stands for? Try a google search. It will result in the definition, Also you can buy it at hardware stores and automotive parts houses.

ok silicone sealant, got it. I feel suitably ignorant and chastised. In 57 years I have never heard it called RTV.

The last part of my previous post - it seems to run okay without speedometer input. From those of you with vastly superior knowledge and experience. If I proceed home, through some pretty empty stretches of northwestern Ontario, will it be a) safe and b) not do any damage.

thanks
Ian

You won't do any damage apart from the risk to the contents of your wallet should you inadvertantly exceed a speed limit somewhere.

This was a very common fault on the earlier models, dry it out and seal it from water ingress, particularly where the cable enters the unit. Though that doesn't always work, occasionally the water will have caused more permanent damage.

Back