• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oh No - Not Tires

2013 Griso: Just put a set of Continental Conti Motions on.
Went for about 100 mile ride.
Ride nice, very smooth & seem to handle well on wet roads.
Very easy to lean into & come out of a corner.
We'll see how long they last.

Had exactly the same problem on my Eldo when I replaced the original tyres with 888's. A friend had dropped mine at about 80kph and I had the tyres replaced while repairs were being done so I just assumed the fork brace got slightly twisted in the accident. Couldn't see any run out in the rim just a very slight amount in the tyre. Did exactly the same as you and bent the brace slightly to get clearance and haven't had a problem since and have gone through two sets of 888's since then and just about to change them for a set of Avons just to try something different.

Last edited:
Had exactly the same problem on my Eldo when I replaced the original tyres with 888's. A friend had dropped mine at about 80kph and I had the tyres replaced while repairs were being done so I just assumed the fork brace got slightly twisted in the accident. Couldn't see any run out in the rim just a very slight amount in the tyre. Did exactly the same as you and bent the brace slightly to get clearance and haven't had a problem since and have gone through two sets of 888's since then and just about to change them for a set of Avons just to try something different.
Thanks, John. It's apparently an issue with the 888s. It seems to have a little more grip on tar strips with them, although I have hit a spot or two where it got squirrely on me, so I'm not 100% convinced of the improvement. I assume temperature could affect grip also.

I was thinking about a 200/60R-16 Bridgestone BT-020 for the rear (963 lb rating), and a Bridgestone G709 Excedra 130/70R-18 for the front of our 2017 California Tour 1400.

We use that G709 on our GL1800 Gold Wing and also on a 2014 Yamaha Roadliner and have been very happy with it. Never had a BT-020, so no experience there.

I was thinking about a 200/60R-16 Bridgestone BT-020 for the rear (963 lb rating), and a Bridgestone G709 Excedra 130/70R-18 for the front of our 2017 California Tour 1400.

We use that G709 on our GL1800 Gold Wing and also on a 2014 Yamaha Roadliner and have been very happy with it. Never had a BT-020, so no experience there.

I had to replace my factory Dunlop at 1500 km's due nail damage. Bought another Dunlop $350 and at 3000 Km's and careful air pressure monitoring the middle is wearing very quickly. Definitely going to try the Bridgestone next time. Buy the way I like to let er rip but rarely off the line.

Metzeler have apparently announced a new range of tyres (tires?) that sit above their 880 range. They are called Cruisetec.

cambriantyres.co.uk/metzeler-announce-new-cruisetec-v-twin-tyre/

They seem to have the right sizes although the rear option closest to Guzzi 1400 is 200/55 16".

I am not sure what impact the slightly different profile might have on the handling or if it is even an option.

Anyhoo, these are shipping in January (admitedly not prime riding season but I would be interested in the experience of anyone who plans to get some when they show up in the store.

Just put on my third rear. Dunlop lasted 9000 miles and the Bridgestone Exceedra lasted over 13000. Put on another Bridgestone. Changed the gear oil and lubed everything. Instructions in the forum are good just watch out the shock buffer carrier does not separate when moving the wheel sideways, that is a hassle and scratches things up.

My last post about my use of the Bridgestone Excedra Max tires on my 1400T was Dec. 28 2014 @ 19000 miles. I'm at close to 60000 miles and still using the Bridgestone tires, and still a happy camper. I pull a bunkhouse camper with this bike with no adverse effects as far as tire wear. These are very reasonably priced tires compared to everything else out there, so that helps. I sure wish they still made the Dunlop 491's. I could get 15 to 20000 miles out of those depending on how much trailer towing I was doing, but thats a different story. :)

Hi all how many 1400 California custom owners have replaced the 200/60 rear tyre with a 180/70 and did it affect the ABS or traction control or can this all be re calibrated thanks Chris

I use a 180/65, which has a similar circumference to the 200/60.
The ABS should be unaffected.
I can't remember if I had to recalibrate.
(I recalibrated on one occasion, and apart from the challenge of maintaining an exact speed for a set distance, which took a few goes, it was simple enough.)

Stephen

I liked the handling with the 200, and I like it with the 180. Towards the end of its service life, the 180 starts to resist turning a little. The rim is at the width limit for a 180, so it does flatten the tyre profile somewhat. I run a dual compound Dunlop, which gives me 15,000km. The stock D251 gave me 6,500km. I have just returned from 2000km in the mountains, and the handling is neutral and easy.

Stephen

I'm just in the process of ordering new tyres I've gone with the Metzeler 888 marathon ultras, have decided to stay with the factory sizes thanks for your input cheers Chris

Hi all how many 1400 California custom owners have replaced the 200/60 rear tyre with a 180/70 and did it affect the ABS or traction control or can this all be re calibrated thanks Chris
Chris, first welcome and congrats on the 1400. Please add your info to the Registry here; https://guzzitech.com/forums/threads/cal1400-registry-pics-thread-add-your-bike.11538/

I’ve merged your post with this thread. 16 pages covering your question. Always try a search first... think you’ll find the decade of info here worth the time to spend a few minutes reading. ;)

I just replaced the OEM dunlops. lasted 6800 miles of average riding. I put on Avon Cobra Chrome 92s. Wow what a difference. Headed to Rolling Thunder in DC I'll give my 500 mile review on Monday

Bonjourno, I only have 5600 miles or 9000 km. on the rear tire and it's gone already, is that normal for a California 1400, I ride solo most of the times, I check the pressure often ??

Bonjourno, I only have 5600 miles or 9000 km. on the rear tire and it's gone already, is that normal for a California 1400, I ride solo most of the times, I check the pressure often ??
Sounds about right...depends on how you ride of course as well as road surface quality etc. I replaced my OEM dunlops at 11000km but they were squared off by then even though they technically had some tread left

Back