• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Dangerous Issue: Random Kickstand Deployment. Requesting HELP ASAP.

Hey I've had this problem ever since I got my V7 back in 2013. Freakin thing deployed while I was riding on the freeway! First thing that happened was the power started cutting in and out, I didn't know wtf, I then look down and it's making sparks! LOL good one Guzzi. I mean if there's one thing with a bike that you're selling that should not happen, aside from the wheels falling off, it's probably making sure your kickstand is engineered in a way that doesn't kill your customers. So since then I have had it replaced, had the springs tightened, etc but it kept on happening.

I have found a solution though: It's making sure your kickstand is lubed up and moves freely. Like no resistance at all. I lube it up atleast 2-3 times a week now, haven't had a problem. Also if you find your kickstand falling but don't have any lube on hand, try moving the kickstand up and down rapidly like 50x until you feel it moving nice and free.

Agreed this has little to do with routine maintenance as I stay on top of things far more than the average rider. My wife rides this bike and I routinely look after it for her.

This dangerous problem has far more to do with poor overall design and the resulting wear from vibration caused by side-play at the pivot point and then in the central stand fixing screw. This gradually causes the central hole on the chassis lug to deform... then unfortunately weak (for the purpose/circumstances) springs come into play. My wife's Classic's side stand dropped and damn near killed her one day along a highway; nearly "high-sided" her in a turn. I replaced springs with what I thought were stronger units, but now working on the bike again I recognize that that central pivot hole has actually worn yet more into an egg shape. The side stand moves side to side and any slight jar cause it to drop. It grew worse as the day went one and eventually a bungee cord was needed to get the bike to run long enough to get home; read between the lines.)

Agree with others comments that this is a Guzzi design/material failure BIG TIME! I love our Guzzis... just saying... our bikes side stand shouldn't be designed to be a time bomb! We have other Guzzis and this is the only model to exhibit this problem. Guzzi should have recalled these stands !!!! Perhaps their idea of a solution was to recall the sloppy fabricator at their end?

The reason I am responding now? Attempting to repair this issue this afternoon, AGAIN after it kept dropping down on me as I was riding on the highway a few days back... and thought I would go online to seek advice. Negative, sarcastic, juvenile comments are not needed on these sites, but I sure appreciate the information from those with more positive intentions!

I am going to have a skilled fabricator look at this set-up to see if he can redesign and repair the assembly to be safer. At the very least I need the central hole welded up and re-drilled to "start again".

I have to agree with Bobby
"I have found a solution though: It's making sure your kickstand is lubed up and moves freely. Like no resistance at all. I lube it up atleast 2-3 times a week now, haven't had a problem."
I just thoroughly cleaned and lubed mine to the point of zero resistance. Bumps and potholes will still induce sag (~20% deployment), but the kickstand is now a hundred times more likely to rebound to it's full retracted position on the next subsequent bump, whereas before the cleaning, it would just stick or deploy further with each bump until it is dragging on any left lean.
I agree it's a poor design. Mine has side-to-side play, so I've ordered a new plate, bolt and springs. Looks to be an easy fix, but honestly, the cleaning cured 95% of the problem.

As EthB recommends, I keep mine well lubricated. I use light machine oil rather than heavy grease. Applying new oil while moving the stand up and down a few times seems to flush out any accumulated grime. I do this ~once every couple of months. There's been no sticking or looseness of my V7II's stand in ~4 years and ~28,000 mi. I don't think it's a design problem, it's more like not enough stress on maintenance.

Seeing how worn the kickstand pivots on many of my bikes were, in years past, led me to adopting the habit of using a little chain lube on the kickstand pivot whenever I lubed the chain on my bike, when I had chain drive motorcycles. I adopted doing the same with my Guzzis as well, whenever I do any maintenance. I've been doing it for at least the past 25 years every couple of weeks when I check the tire pressures.

Chain lube is good for this kind of lubrication because it goes on thin and then becomes thicker when it sets, so it doesn't drool all over the place or fly off, and it was designed to handle lubricating the small, hard to get to pivot joints well: it creeps into all the crevices and such. Just put a little bit on and give the bike an hour to sit while it creeps and sets up.

G

I'm having the same issue with my '15 V7 and it's side stand easily "falling down" as I ride it. I had read a few suggestions about using the Moose Racing Exhaust springs so I ordered those and tried to install them yesterday. Has anyone done that with success? The Moose Exhaust springs are much shorter than the stock springs so I'm not sure how to get them on. Any advice would be appreciated.

an old fashioned drum brake tool works best. usually, a long 18" flat blade screwdriver can be used or a deep well 3/8 socket on long extension. put the blade or socket on the nub the spring attaches to and lever it on.
this was covered a couple of years ago and searching might help.

an old fashioned drum brake tool works best. usually, a long 18" flat blade screwdriver can be used or a deep well 3/8 socket on long extension. put the blade or socket on the nub the spring attaches to and lever it on.

Steve, I keep the old brake spring pliers in my tool box for side stand and main stand springs. That old fashioned tool works great for these.

I'll see if I can find this "old fashioned" of which you speak, the drumb break tool or "old brake pliers". Thanks for the suggestions. Greatly appreciated.

could be wrong but if u can't get it with a screwdriver Harbor freight most likely has the brake tool or go to auto zone and borrow one. One on top; harborfreight.com/drum-brake-spring-pliers-kit-3-pc-63640.html

could be wrong but if u can't get it with a screwdriver Harbor freight most likely has the brake tool or go to auto zone and borrow one. One on top; harborfreight.com/drum-brake-spring-pliers-kit-3-pc-63640.html

Steve, the one I use is like this; amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W175-Spring-Pliers/dp/B00BR1BV8Q/ The groove end is perfect when slipping a spring over a post. I see the pliers in your like have the groove also, but when working on a bike you don't need the other tools.

Just discovered this issue on my 2011 V7 Classic. Question, how do we you keep you bike standing when you service the stand. All the shop stands I've seen for V7's are like $300+

I was working on my bike today and noticed the kickstand bolt was extremely loose. Finger loose. The kickstand itself has some side-to-side play/wiggle as well, so it led me on a search to see if it was a common issue.

Then I found this thread... I'm glad I noticed it when I did.

My bike is a 2014 V7 with about 9900 miles. One previous owner before me.

I can't blame anyone other than the owner for not keeping it tight. That's what seems to be the remedy - keep it tight, keep it lubed, check it often. Once it gets loose and that play starts, the bolt hole can do nothing but gradually elongate, or as we say here, become wallered-out.

So if you have a new bike, make the kickstand bolt a regular maintenance check item. Apparently they *will* become loose.

As for me and my bike, and others in a similar situation, I'm looking for a remedy. Perhaps stack a washer or two in with the kickstand, in between the "ears"? Maybe some sort of bushing for the thru-bolt to fit the now-enlarged holes?

Back