• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V9 Bobber broken shift linkage

ChucksV9Bobber

Tuned and Synch'ed
Was riding on Saturday for most of the day, and when I was on my return trip home I shifted from third to fourth thats when it happened. I tried shifting into 5th but it wouldn't go. I looked down briefly and couldn't see anything. As soon as I moved my foot from under the shifter it spun upside down and was dragging on the road. Long story short pulled over at the next safe spot to look, I found the linkage bolt snapped that attaches to the shifter, the other end to the gearbox was fine. Hopefully it will be covered under warranty as I have 2 years on the warranty and only 900 miles on the bike. Luckily it was the Euro style foot controls and I had been given the standard American foot controls too. I was able to get a ride home for tools and put on the other shift control to get it home.

The exact same thing happened to mine at about 4000 miles, also with the euro foot controls. It was replaced under warranty, and the dealer told me I was the second person who'd brought a V9 back with that issue.

Glad I am not the only one, they gave me the replacement linkage free of charge, so I will be putting it on this weekend, probably going to loctite the bolts as there was none on them when I removed the shifter assembly. I wonder if they make stainless versions of the threaded balls the linkage mounts to?

Glad I am not the only one, they gave me the replacement linkage free of charge, so I will be putting it on this weekend, probably going to loctite the bolts as there was none on them when I removed the shifter assembly. I wonder if they make stainless versions of the threaded balls the linkage mounts to?
Stainless steel generally has less tensile strength than steel. Perhaps the material they are using is defective.

From what I can tell on mine, the linkage bolt backed itself out more than half way, and then snapped. Since having it replaced I've been checking it regularly, and after 9000 more miles it hasn't caused any problems.

Nice I think thats what happened to mine but I couldn't find the other half of the bolt lol. The one near the shifter, I figured the rear one would have been the culprit. I put some medium strength loctite on it and will monitor it accordingly. I should probably double check the ones on the rear brake side also.

Thanks so much for posting, Chuck! The bolt on ours was half backed out, soon to break I'm sure. Put it back with locktite but we'll continue to keep an eye on it. USA controls, by the way.

Sarah

it happened to me too...2017 v9 roamer....went to shift into 2nd gear and shifter moved freely. When I stopped to look, the bolt had split in two, with one end of the bolt in the shifter, the other half still in the shifter linkage ! Couldn't check if it had backed out before breaking, but I suspect that after reading about these others.... I originally thought "why would Guzzi use such a cheap bolt" ?? I guess Loctite and keep checking it is the safe way to go. Don't what to get stranded again !!

Can one of you guys post a picture so I know what I’m looking at? I’ve got the original forward controls on my bike EU.
So maybe not an issue.

I keep losing the linkage off the gear shifter this is the second one Iam replacing
I torque to spec and use lock tight red , don’t know what else to do
Any input would be appreciated
Chris

Exactly which part would help and photos are valuable, including year and model.

Where is it moving?
Is it the fasteners into the linkage each end or the threaded rod between the 2 ball joints?
I'm about to go on a mission on my Roamer, and if the gear linkage is likely to drop off, I'd like to know where to check!
Cheers

Last edited:
Back