• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Centauro that has sat for years?

Is there a non oem fuel filter that can be used? I figure there has to be some 10 year old gas in the one on the bike.

I'm sure Todd can supply one - you are lucky to have such a dedicated patriarch.
The one on mine is a Weber - quite large - a benefiet to healthy running, & placed out front helps cooling.
One other thing is check the fuel tap tank filter, the one in mine wouldn't have been amiss on scooter!
I have fitted a Mk5 one which is quite long & better quality. The Centauro tap has a smaller thread for it however.
Find a bicycle pump nozzle ( small male thread with knurled top & fine tubular needle striking out of it - used to blow up footballs etc ) they have the same thread & are long enuf to protrude out of the tap. Break the fine nozzel off & drill apropriate same I.d. As the nozzel & then screw it in, the knurled end will fit snugly inside the Mk5 filter stem & the Mk5 tap washer has the same I.d. as the filter, so when pushed over the filter it is held snugly on the fitting & tightening the tap into the tank squeezes the filter in the washer to ensure it is held firm.
I Have just completed my 2 year Centauro to 992 Sport conversion - Yahoooooo so with a few minor items I will get to enjoy it during our summer.
I will try & post a build event with pics ASAP
One thing I have learnt - it's not the build, but the details!!!

Image Image Image

Nice work. The sports where such great looking bikes. To bad the ergos don't work for me.

Well, I have owned 2 Centauro's in my lifetime and still have my 1997. I have replaced almost everything on the bike that wears, (i.e. brakes, lines, rubbers, etc) and have virtually every factory special tool needed to work on the engine, so if you need a picture or a question, I can probably help.

I've been waiting for spring to yank my engine and replace the aluminum gears and factory oil pump with the much better replacement units from Joe in England. With the proper tools, the job is not overly insane, but I cannot imagine doing it on the garage floor with just general tools. Insane if you ask me.

I love my 2012 Stelvio and every other Moto Guzzi I have owned as well, however, I ADORE my Centauro! I am definitely a Centauristi!

It is BY FAR, the most wonderful motorcycle (to me), that I have ever owned in my life and I've owned just about everything.

Is it perfection?, Hell No! It's a hairy chested monstrosity and a beast to work on. Parts are often times hard to find and $$$$$ (think $650 headlight, I'm not kidding, if you can find one!). I searched for months to locate what I believe are the last OEM brand new set of factory mirrors in a tiny obscure shop in Germany and had to pay over $300 US to buy them, but I was glad to get them! It's a madness, for sure.

It is the very incarnation of what is meant when people say 'Guzzi are quirky..." It unexpectedly and randomly, burps, farts, and snores but when I open her up, and the power pulses start singing through the custom twin Mistral 50mm wide open pipes....well, that's a symphony like no other motorcycle in the world.

I've been working very hard to get mine dialed in as perfect as I can get it. My youngest son already knows that I am leaving it to him upon my death, and he can display it as art, or actually ride the thing. He'll hopefully do both!

So, welcome to the club. If I can be of assistance, please let me know.

Scott Mastrocinque
419-581-0274
Findlay, Ohio

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0Emio-GpUHC1XbAHNZ-p0stow#Centauro_1

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0Dr8q1mpVzp1UD_fGbhgkPTQw#Centauro_2

1910381 1108545707692 8054615 n 21 years ago, and it's AMAZING, I haven't changed a bit! :giggle:

1910381 1108546467711 4772681 n

IMG 1207

Last edited:
Since I started to ride, I've always tought that the Centauro is the proverbial "sex on wheels" bike!!!

Agreed!

FWIW: I know a nice gentleman on another site, who mounted saddlebags on his Centauro! :( It's his only bike and I kind of understand that people have to do what makes them happy, but he didn't get the humor in this graphic I made for him... I think it's self-explanatory. :rofl:

Backside

I put red 18 liter Krausers on my MkV LeMans. I would go to rallies and travel with it and had to put stuff somewhere. The small bags don't detract much from the looks but are functional.

Well it has been a while since I brought the Centauro, I had few other projects that had to get done. So it is now in the garage, going to work on it as time allows, no big hurry I got it's sister 98 EV1100 that sat for years back on the road and I'm sure it is going much the same process,cleaning the stuck fuel pump, new gas filter, clogged injectors.

The front disc are really lose, you can shake them and they rattle when moved,is this normal? The EV's which look the same are much tighter floating disc.

The front disc are really lose, you can shake them and they rattle when moved,is this normal? The EV's which look the same are much tighter floating disc.
That sounds normal. Some "floating" brake discs have springs that keep them tight. Others, typically more "race oriented" ones, don't have the springs that keep them tight. As long as the discs only move side to side, and not forwards and backwards in the direction of rotation you should be fine.

Well, I have owned 2 Centauro's in my lifetime and still have my 1997. I have replaced almost everything on the bike that wears, (i.e. brakes, lines, rubbers, etc) and have virtually every factory special tool needed to work on the engine, so if you need a picture or a question, I can probably help.

I've been waiting for spring to yank my engine and replace the aluminum gears and factory oil pump with the much better replacement units from Joe in England. With the proper tools, the job is not overly insane, but I cannot imagine doing it on the garage floor with just general tools. Insane if you ask me.

I love my 2012 Stelvio and every other Moto Guzzi I have owned as well, however, I ADORE my Centauro! I am definitely a Centauristi!

It is BY FAR, the most wonderful motorcycle (to me), that I have ever owned in my life and I've owned just about everything.

Is it perfection?, Hell No! It's a hairy chested monstrosity and a beast to work on. Parts are often times hard to find and $$$$$ (think $650 headlight, I'm not kidding, if you can find one!). I searched for months to locate what I believe are the last OEM brand new set of factory mirrors in a tiny obscure shop in Germany and had to pay over $300 US to buy them, but I was glad to get them! It's a madness, for sure.

It is the very incarnation of what is meant when people say 'Guzzi are quirky..." It unexpectedly and randomly, burps, farts, and snores but when I open her up, and the power pulses start singing through the custom twin Mistral 50mm wide open pipes....well, that's a symphony like no other motorcycle in the world.

I've been working very hard to get mine dialed in as perfect as I can get it. My youngest son already knows that I am leaving it to him upon my death, and he can display it as art, or actually ride the thing. He'll hopefully do both!

So, welcome to the club. If I can be of assistance, please let me know.

Scott Mastrocinque
419-581-0274
Findlay, Ohio

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0Emio-GpUHC1XbAHNZ-p0stow#Centauro_1

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0Dr8q1mpVzp1UD_fGbhgkPTQw#Centauro_2

View attachment 16824 21 years ago, and it's AMAZING, I haven't changed a bit! :giggle:

View attachment 16825

View attachment 16826

Agreed Scott,
Im sure we havent changed - to be honest, only when we are out & about & I make a comment like "look at those ol guys" & the misuss just turns & looks at me that the penny drops - up till then I wasjust a young fella (at heart) enjoying myself!

Bill (Bigbear), it was such a wonderful surprise today when you gave me a ring. As I said, I had just woke up literally and then my phone rang showing a New Zealand number and I was shocked. What a gas hearing from you! Your build is stellar and I love the details but you do need to post more detailed photos. I enjoy looking it over and would like to see more details. BTW, my email is scottmastrocinque@icloud.com for future reference. Well, looking forward to seeing more! Cheers Mate! Thanks again for the call! It's nice to know there are others like me, obsessed with the Centauro. What fun. :D

I'm with those who love their beasts above all. My EVs are trucks, my Guzzitech fitted 1200 Sport is a gorgeous roadster, but the Centauro... My first was a salvage job. Special issues for it were the plastic tank that grows, the need to keep the cylinders carefully balanced, the chip and idle tuning of the EFI, and the usual Guzzi foibles, since at its core it pretty much the same as others of the era. But the literal killer was the oil pump and gear, which went one day in 2015, burning the rods and crank bearing. But I adored that bike so much that I bought a clean low miler in SF cheap, got a set of Joe Carusos steel pump and gears, and gave a mechanic friend the old bike in exchange for installing along with new belts. Bulletproof! (btw he discovered that Carillo will recondition burnt rods quite inexpensively). I kept my C5 and Mistral crossover, and have added a PCIII and cone filters While I have to warm it up for about 2 mins, after that it just roars with no stumbles, and is actually quite gentle as the gearbox is the same as the EV. No other issues. And please put the chin spoiler and that ugly butt cowl on the shelf. Changes the look from Chubby to Sleek.

I sent out my injectors to be cleaned everything went well except for the filter screens are falling apart and they don't have any. Is there a source for these,I can't seem to find anything except the same green injectors was used on some Ducati's of the same era.

I sent out my injectors to be cleaned everything went well except for the filter screens are falling apart and they don't have any. Is there a source for these,I can't seem to find anything except the same green injectors was used on some Ducati's of the same era.

I don't know of a source for the screens, but it appears the injectors are still available, but expensive. https://www.harpermoto.com/injector-30530500.html

I saw that. I did read where someone adapted some injectors from a Polaris quad to work. They are much cheaper. A friend thinks he may be able to replace the filter screens.

I saw that. I did read where someone adapted some injectors from a Polaris quad to work. They are much cheaper. A friend thinks he may be able to replace the filter screens.

I hope you cam get the screens in. Much cheaper than new injectors.

Back