• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

MAYDAY! Dead Norge at Side of Road

Bill Hagan

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
John W. recently sold his early 2007 Norge (sister VIN to mine) to friend, Ray.

We are all at western N.Y. rally in Westfield, N.Y.

On short ride this a.m., Ray’s Norge -- 11K miles; well maintained --- “died” underway.

Checked all fuses and relays. All appear good.

Ruled out (preliminarily, at least) sidestand interlock.

Starter cranks; no start.

John — who is on the scene and whom I cc — and others there believe related to internal fuel pump as I understand they can see fuel “swirling,” which they recall as filter failure?

Given unavailability of OEM, might any of you know of clone that would work?

Other ideas/suggestions?

Bill
404.8ZERO8.8486

P.S. Will search forum now, but, given exigent circumstance, wanted to post ASAP.

Bill, sure sounds like the internal fuel filter or line. A BMW shop should have one, or most Euro moto shops or automotive should as well, but you might need to carry it in and show them. Don't forget the clamps and tools to R&R. It might just be that one of the lines popped off. Have to go in to see. Keep us posted.
https://gtmotocycles.com/products/all-metal-in-tank-fuel-filters

The UFI number, according to the MG Cycle site, is 31.760.00. This crosses over to a Wix 33033.
When I swapped out my fuel filter, some years ago, I used the Wix number.
33033 is for 3/8 hose, for some reason I thought my bike was 5/16 hose but it was a long time ago. 5/16 hose would be a 33032.

This should be easy to find at any local parts store for just a few $$$.

The all metal filter to use is the KL 145 or equivalent. That is what BMW motorcycles use. I just serviced a V7 Cafe today and checking the fuel filter the previous owner had already installed the KL 145 so that catastrophe has been averted for that bike

I used this type of clip on mine with no further problems, no special tools required so can be fitted anywhere. Just make sure you get the correct size for the OD of your pipe
advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/8mm---10mm-nut--bolt-mini-fuel-hose-clips-255-p.asp

Thanks to all for the prompt and helpful replies.

Seems hose was OK.

Tho perhaps removing the clamps on the the OEM filter MAY have done some damage. ::think:

Be that as it may, the culprit this time was the filter itself.

The plastic half of the OEM was so swollen -- presumably from cursed ethanol :swear: -- that it split at the seam with its metal mate. :fubar:

i-VKbrmQv-L.jpg

Guzzisteve called in the NAPA part #[GOLD 3032] and all was well. :clap:

I'll post some pix of this and more when I get back home on Monday.

Bill

Nothing to do with Ethanol. When I made an enquiry with Mahle UK about that filter they told me it was designed for use with diesel fuel and on no account should it be immersed on petrol/gasolene. The also very kindly sent me a couple of KL145 metal filters.

Nothing to do with Ethanol. When I made an enquiry with Mahle UK about that filter they told me it was designed for use with diesel fuel and on no account should it be immersed on petrol/gasolene. The also very kindly sent me a couple of KL145 metal filters.

Interesting, Brian.

That is puzzling to me as I did not think there had been many -- if any -- failures of that OEM filter in Europe, i.e., outside of "Ethanol Country."

Bill

They swell up just the same here. I changed mine some years back and it was well out of shape.
But I understood they were more concerned with the adhesive which was used to seal the join between the plastic and metal.

Well I'm not sure what was going on at the Moto Guzzi factory when they fitted these fuel filters because my April 2011 Norge has a fully metal fuel filter. I know because I thought it would be half plastic so just removed it to change. Good news indeed. I will do my 2011 V7 tomorrow and see what's in there. That bike had the crappy chromed plastic tank swapped for a metal one under warranty and I seem to recall the guy in the workshop saying he swapped the pump or filter at the same time. Can't quite remember the details now.

Well I'm not sure what was going on at the Moto Guzzi factory when they fitted these fuel filters because my April 2011 Norge has a fully metal fuel filter. I know because I thought it would be half plastic so just removed it to change. Good news indeed. I will do my 2011 V7 tomorrow and see what's in there. That bike had the crappy chromed plastic tank swapped for a metal one under warranty and I seem to recall the guy in the workshop saying he swapped the pump or filter at the same time. Can't quite remember the details now.

The half plastic one was probably a couple of cents cheaper.

Appreciate reviving this post if for no other reason than to remind me that it is not ethanol -- an evil brew, nonetheless :swear: -- that caused the half-plastic filters to swell and occasionally fail, but immersion of a diesel filter into gasoline/petrol.

I have reverted recently to unfairly blaming ethanol for that. Not that evilol is sinless, and corn is for bourbon, not fuel. :clap:

FWIW -- indulge me; I know it's worth almost nothing :giggle: -- I just brought the V7 III off the lift, and replaced it with the Norge for some cleaning and light maintenance for the upcoming season. I think I'll just leave the leaking rear main seal for next winter and just let it be a bit incontinent until then. ;)

TempImageIrps4q

Bill

Ok, you guys are starting to freak me out with all this Filter failure banter ! :shake:
You’ve got me thinking about siphoning the gas into the car to get the tank empty so I can take it off now !

Ok, you guys are starting to freak me out with all this Filter failure banter ! :shake:
You’ve got me thinking about siphoning the gas into the car to get the tank empty so I can take it off now !

You could use a fiber optic camera to check. I'd still get the fuel level low, but you wouldn't need to take it apart unless you see the half plastic filter. I don't know when Guzzi abandoned that darn filter, but hopefully before 2017 models.

You could use a fiber optic camera to check. I'd still get the fuel level low, but you wouldn't need to take it apart unless you see the half plastic filter. I don't know when Guzzi abandoned that darn filter, but hopefully before 2017 models.
My 2017 Anniversario has the half and half fuel filter from the factory. And yes, it still has it. I use only ethanol free fuel (available easily here in Canada) and check it every few months with an endoscope and it is in perfect condition. :)
That said, I will be replacing it this summer.

mine failed as well... but it did last more than ten years, and well past Guzzi's stated maintenance interval, so I figured I couldn't get too mad about it.

Let's see, if you wait till it goes bad, you'll be on the side of the road. Good plan.
Some models got metal some 1/2 junk------- at least they got rid of the stock.

Back