• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Classic Carb Conversion

pete roper said:
It was a 'Come to Jesus' moment for me. I realized he was quite right. I would no longer have to regularly wallow around in carcinogens and filth! all I needed to do was punch buttons on a keyboard!!!

Pete

Bah - I was very disappointed to find that this is not at all possible for my Griso. It would need it's ECU sending off to sunnier climes along with hundreds and hundreds of my scarce and hard earned Great British Pounds. And wait for it to arrive back re-flashed and now ready to accept more of my lottery winnings on a Power Commander and so on.

That being the case (and I'm happy to be told i am) I think I'd personally rather just change a couple of bits of brass, so I can see the attraction, in principle.

So– at risk of reigniting the ire of some commenters– did anyone actually get around to converting a V7 from EFI to carbs?
Is the Rec-Ignition Module the way to go?
I'm considering doing the same to a 2017 V9 using Mikuni 36mm flat slides and would appreciate any advice
(apart from "don't do it"!)

I have converted my Quota engine to 36mm Dellorto carbs. I use the ECU for sparks only so I still use the original wire loom. The TPS is unplugged as well as the injectors of course. It runs, but I will need to degree the flywheel to find out what advance curve the ECU uses. Nobody has the numbers for that... Since I do not get a steady reading with a stroboscope, I kind of gave up on trying to get it right....
In case of your V9 I would go with Mikuni VM round slides over the flat slides. The flat slides have a reputation of broken needles(aluminum) and slides, with long term use. (I have a pair on my LeMans 3....)

I have a Quota 1100ES that I wish to convert to carbs. Would you have any additional details? Dale

I haven't done this kind of thing in an eon or more, but It's certainly possible to convert an EFI bike to carburetors. But it's a big job. There's no such thing as a "simple conversion" of a modern street bike (or car for that matter) from the tightly integrated engine/running gear management systems to carburetors and ignition...

- The EFI V7 motors use a single, siamese intake manifold and a single throttle body (which BTW includes the engine ECU). So you'll need to dump the entire intake system (and the ECU), make up a set of intake manifolds, fit a set of carbs, arrange an appropriate air filter setup, toss the throttle and replace it with a cable throttle, make up carburetor cables.

- The EFI fuel system is designed for relatively high pressure fuel delivery, motorcycle carbs are generally designed for gravity feed or low pressure fuel pump (usually about 3psi). So you'll have to change the fuel pump to meet the specs for whatever carburetors you plan to use, or pull out the fuel pump assembly, tap the tank for gravity feed petcocks, etc.

- Of course, the ECU (which you just discarded) includes the stock ignition trigger and such so you'll need to adapt an independent ignition system to the bike. You can probably re-use the stock engine pickups (maybe) and rewire them to provide the trigger signal for whatever ignition system you plan to use.

- The standard instrumentation, etc, is all dependent upon the ECU as well, so you'll have to arrange instrumentation for tach, speedo, any warning lights you want, etc etc.

- Much of the wiring harness will need to be rejiggered to suit the new world of ECU-less operation. IMO, having done jobs like this, I'd just design and build my own wiring harness, reusing as much switch gear as possible. Not as simple as it sounds since modern electrical bits tend to have a lot of logic in them.

- I'm not sure about the traction control and antilock braking systems. Of course, if you are really looking to simplify things and you don't care about them, it's always easy to rip those things out by the roots and just build your own braking system. It's nothing more complicated than a couple of master cylinders and hoses.

- Once you got all the bits in place, you then need to work out the proper jetting for the engine.

In essence, you're taking a modern, civilized street bike with typical modern running equipment, doing what you would do to make it into a classic race bike, but leaving it in a civilized street bike state of tune. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you'd like to do. But, IMO, if this is the kind of bike you want, you'd be better off buying a cheap 1970s Moto Guzzi 850T-3, fixing it up to look like the V7 model of your choosing, and upgrading its fork, suspension, and brakes to a modern spec. It would be a heck of a lot less work and a lot cheaper to do that ... there's far less to do. :D

Of course, I've done wackier things in the past, and no one thought they were bad (only expensive and a bit foolish on my part). Ask me about my Alfa Romeo FrankenSpider some time ... LOL!

So have fun
whatever you decide.

G

Back