• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Anyone Own or Ride an XDiavel?

Guzzi_Lou

Cruisin' Guzzisti
So I've got the itch to get something lighter than the Cali 1400 Custom I currently have and the XDiavel is about 200 lbs lighter with 50+ more HP to boot. Win-Win.

I'm curious if anyone with a Cali has ridden one that can offer some impressions between the 2.

I'll try and get a test ride on one but would love to hear some feedback on not only the riding but also quality? Is Ducati any better than MG?

I have an 2011 Diavel. Almost 30k miles. Quality seems to be the same. I bought the Guzzi for ease of maintenance and long distance comfort. A valve check on the Duc will run you $800+ and it goes through tires , front and rear every 5k miles. Totally different ride.

Never owned a Duc but know & ride with a few.
They tend to be a noisy machine at idle, expensive to maintain & have heard complaints about hand tingles on some models.

I see you list more HP as a plus so I'll just throw this out there:
If the X-Dia has traction control & engine modes that xtra 50hp is more about bragging rights that usable hp.
It will feel (& actually be) faster but a lot has to do with the weight diff.

So I've got the itch to get something lighter than the Cali 1400 Custom I currently have and the XDiavel is about 200 lbs lighter with 50+ more HP to boot. Win-Win.
I can get you 400 lbs lighter with the same gain in power, and you can stick with Guzzi; GTMotoCycles.com - just saying. ;)

Yes I’ve ridden many Diavel. As stated above, costly to own and maintain, and more of a ‘look at me’ design than functionality. It sits a bit tall, but does have a powerful engine (but don't get sucked into the numbers game with modern electronics as noted above also) and is fun to ride. Go ride one, then see my link above.

I have another 1100-2V & 1440-4V build in the works, and available when done or can be built to order now as we go.

I have an Xdiavel and it is an amazing machine but so is my Moto Guzzi. They are very different. There is no fairness in this world if you have to pick one over the other.

So just to update this thread, my current lust-over bike has been the new Triumph Speed Twin (NOT Street Twin) since I heard about it.

96 hp and 432 lbs dry. 270 degree parallel twin.

There was a 2018 XDiavel demo for sale elsewhere for $3k off list but still about $6k over the Triumph.

I stopped by the local Triumph dealer yesterday hoping their demo from Triumph had come in but no luck. They gave me the keys to a T120 instead which is similar and I ended up buying their only Speed Twin. :cool:

And this morning I took the Cali for a ride and damn I may just end up having a 2-bike garage! The intent is to try and sell it but damn is it still a powerful beast with a sweet soundtrack!

Intent on the Triumph is to get Remus slip-ons. Here's a video:

I'll definitely be taking the sound inserts/db killers out. :inlove:

That video is of a T120 btw not the Speed Twin. This the Speed - same colour I got. Supposed to get it this week coming.

Triumph Speed Twin 2019

Some of the comments here pertain to the Diavel and not the Xdiavel. It should be pointed out the two are completely different machines and up until 2019 have completely different power plants. The Diavel is a naked muscle bike which reaches maximum toque somewhere between 8000 or 9000 RPM. The Xdiavel is intended to compete in the cruiser class with forward controls and reaching Maximun torque at 5000 RPM. Even tho the Xdiavel has a massive 240 back tire, it is still by far, the best handling cruiser money can buy. With the lower torque band the bike is an absolute blast to ride. Massive power always readily available where you want it for real street riding. The bike is also comfortable even for taller riders. A wonderful machine for sure.

I cant think of any machine that excites me more than my Xdiavel. That is until I saw Todd’s post about his recent builds and then had the chance to see some of them in person at his shop. Wow! They are simply awesome looking. Custom frames with single or even bobber seats. Those massive Guzzi heads sticking out on a lightweight, customized high performance hot rod. Damn, I can’t get them out of my mind.

The one thing that puts me off Ducati is the stupid belts need replacement every 25,000ks or 2 years what ever comes first also the valve adjustment looks like a right pain to do.

The one thing that puts me off Ducati is the stupid belts need replacement every 25,000ks or 2 years what ever comes first also the valve adjustment looks like a right pain to do.

The 25,000km interval was a major step forward for those used to the 9,000km interval on my 1992 851 and my 1999 996.

I cant think of any machine that excites me more than my Xdiavel. That is until I saw Todd’s post about his recent builds and then had the chance to see some of them in person at his shop. Wow! They are simply awesome looking. Custom frames with single or even bobber seats. Those massive Guzzi heads sticking out on a lightweight, customized high performance hot rod. Damn, I can’t get them out of my mind.
So my corrected statement (then), is that I have not yet ridden the XDiavel, though I was almost part of the World Launch here a few years ago... and thanks a ton on the words on my builds! That is exactly what I am targeting, and they ride even better than they look.

From the most recent issue of Cafe Racer.

Duc-Left.jpg

Duc-Right.jpg

Thanks for the Cafe Racer article. Interesting read. However it is hard to take seriously anything they say when they don’t take the time to correctly articulate the actual bike that they are riding. For the record the bike pictured is an Xdiavel but the authors refer to their test ride as being on a Diavel. As I mentioned in my previous post they are two totally different bikes. Jeez.... Anyways, we all have our opinions. Here is a casual little blip I did on my Xdiavel in the Southern Ca hills where if live. See if you can sense any of those negative traits the authors of the article refer to. If you can you’re better than me cause I sure can’t.

That XDiavel is one awesome machine. Seems like it's a different class of bike, though, not really a cruiser. Or stretching the definition. What's it like on the freeway, for a long trip?

Thanks for the Cafe Racer article. Interesting read. However it is hard to take seriously anything they say when they don’t take the time to correctly articulate the actual bike that they are riding. For the record the bike pictured is an Xdiavel but the authors refer to their test ride as being on a Diavel. As I mentioned in my previous post they are two totally different bikes. Jeez.... Anyways, we all have our opinions. Here is a casual little blip I did on my Xdiavel in the Southern Ca hills where if live. See if you can sense any of those negative traits the authors of the article refer to. If you can you’re better than me cause I sure can’t.

I totally respect anyone who wants this kind of bike but it's not the sort of thing I would ever consider anymore, awesome though it undoubtedly is. I'm done with high performance motorcycles that encourage big revs, big speed and big leans to get the fun out of them - although that dude on the video was certainly not pushing the performance and handling envelope, jeez he was being out driven by a Sunday driver in a Corolla at the start (LMAO).

We all know Ducati's are hugely expensive to service - (Desmo + belts) and their unreliability is well documented (god help if the belt snaps). Given that it's water cooled probably means you will have to listen to the fan whirring all day as it chucks hot air all over you , that's if you can hear it over the side exit exhaust and clutch rattle noise. That exhaust also looks like it's designed to toast everything below the waist. Couldn't imagine doing a day in the saddle on one of those (but then I'm 57), great toy for a weekend blast when you're in the mood though and if that's your cup of tea, go for it :)

Last edited:
That XDiavel is one awesome machine. Seems like it's a different class of bike, though, not really a cruiser. Or stretching the definition. What's it like on the freeway, for a long trip?
Yeah I agree. A better description would be “sport cruiser.”
Usually I would rather be on my Cali 1400 for long distance rides but it also depends on who I’m riding with and the route taken. I wrote this in another forum. It was titled “Touring on an XDS” and may better answer your questions.

I completed a 2700 mile road trip on my 2016 Xdiavel S in May and I thought I would share some of my thoughts about the Xdiavel’s long distance capabilities .

I should point out that I have made some modifications to my bike and I will comment on their usefulness or lack thereof. In addition to the Termi exhaust, I tweaked it a little bit to make the bike more suitable for long distance travel; I have a custom seat by Corbin which has a removable rider backrest and added Ducati’s rearward bars to get the seated position more upright so I can use the backrest. I moved my pegs all the way forward. I added ports on the bars to charge my GPS as well as my cell phone and a port behind the tank for my heated gear. My dealer installed Ducati’s heated grips for me. I added Hepco Becker’s “Rugged Bags” mounted on their C-bow hardware and added a small bag I picked up at REI behind the backrest for quickly accessible small items. I mounted the Puig Touring windscreen up front and added the small Puig visor for additional wind and rain protection for the trip. The visor also reduces buffeting to the helmet which makes communications and music thru my Sena 20s more enjoyable.

My trip with two buddies started in Southern California and took us as far north as Portland Oregon. Actually we crossed over in to Washington but only for a short while to get a better view along the Columbia River Gorge. Temperatures ranged from the high twenties to the low nineties. We planned on limiting our interstate travel and ride secondary mountain highways as much as possible. Two days of heavy rain caused us to veer off course and we actually spent more time on Highway 395 than originally planned.

Touring in the rain is not the Xdiavel’s forte. There is simply not enough protection from the rain and wind for you to be really comfortable and stay dry. My rain jacket performed well with the help of the windscreen and kept my upper body dry but my hands and legs got soaked. I admit that my rain gloves and pants were a little worn and the high pressure wash coming from the highway was just too much for them. Even sopping wet, my hands stayed warm tho. The Ducati heated grips are phenomenally good.

I am running Michelin Power RS tires and did not expect them to be a good rain tire but they are. They stuck to the wet pavement really well. The much maligned Xdiavel rear “half a fender” did a great job of keeping my backside dry. Getting rid of it is not even a consideration for me at this point.

I was pleasantly surprised at how dry my saddle bags stayed inside. I had all my belongings inside garbage bags but I don’t think that was even necessary. The leather Hepco Becker bags performed well with only the slightest bit of moisture working its way inside despite many hours of heavy rain.

I’ve made my XDS as comfortable as I can but it still doesn’t hold a candle to a real touring bike for comfort on the interstates. My Corbin seat has eliminated vibration I previously felt thru the seat area and is extremely comfortable especially with the riders backrest but...... on long interstate hauls the XDS transfers vibration to your hands thru the bars. The vibration also causes some distortion to the mirrors which I have since replaced with CRG’s. The same can be said about the foot pegs. Thick rubber soles on your boots and good insoles can eliminate some of it but not all and just like the bars it is noticeable on long rides.

The original seating position on the XDS was comfortable for short rides but I could never have done a 2700 mile ride on it because the forward controls placed too much weight on my lower back. The rearward bars and the backrest take stress off my lower back. I usually ride locally without the backrest but can ride only about a hundred miles before my lower back aches a little bit. So it was a life saver on this ride. My back never bothered me and I appreciated the forward foot controls so I could stretch my legs.

Cruise control is a necessity for me on long rides and the XDS cruise control is excellent. Super easy to use and adjust the speed exactly where you want it. It’s easy to bump it up or down in small increments and it is perfectly placed on the bars. You can reach it with your left thumb while keeping your hand on the grip. My Moto Guzzi has the Cruise control on the throttle side. So lame!

I think the front suspension on the XDS is good but the rear must be adjusted perfectly to be just barely adequate. I overdid the preload setting on the shocks for this ride. I was adjusting for the additional load of all my gear but I already had it cranked up pretty good for sporty rides thru Southern California canyons near my home and by increasing it even more, it was simply too stiff. I got side aches on a couple of the days and I think that had something to do with it. I don’t blame the bike for this as it was my mistake but a better valved shock and a more progressive spring would make this bike more enjoyable for touring.

The bikes electronics are great. Three riding modes with ABS and traction control, fully adjustable in each mode. I like the fact that you can easily switch between riding modes while riding. The Ducati “infotainment system” is a nice feature which pairs with your phone and helmet headset and allows you to see that you have incoming calls or texts and advance the musical tract from your phone to your headset. It is supposed to adjust volume as well but I have never heard of anyone actually getting that to work. There is an array of helpful information you can scroll to on your dash such as; Air temp, coolant temp, two trip meters, range, etc, etc. All these are useful when touring.

Where this bike really shines is on the mountain passes and secondary highways. This is where I like to tour and this bike is unbelievable fun on twisty roads. It corners really well. The massive back tire hugs the road and somehow doesn’t seem to hinder the handling. It’s still flickable! Changing directions from one turn into another is easy as the bike rolls side to side like a sport bike. It’s stable at high speeds and super quick. Maneuvering thru gas stops, small towns, rest areas, etc. is a piece of cake on this 485 pound (dry) marvel of a machine.

Yes you can be very happy touring on this bike if you keep your expectations realistic. It’s never going to be as comfortable on the interstates as a Goldwing or other full on touring bikes but it will put a smile on your face everywhere else.

I totally respect anyone who wants this kind of bike but it's not the sort of thing I would ever consider anymore, awesome though it undoubtedly is. I'm done with high performance motorcycles that encourage big revs, big speed and big leans to get the fun out of them - although that dude on the video was certainly not pushing the performance and handling envelope, jeez he was being out driven by a Sunday driver in a Corolla at the start (LMAO).

We all know Ducati's are hugely expensive to service - (Desmo + belts) and their unreliability is well documented (god help if the belt snaps). Given that it's water cooled probably means you will have to listen to the fan whirring all day as it chucks hot air all over you , that's if you can hear it over the side exit exhaust and clutch rattle noise. That exhaust also looks like it's designed to toast everything below the waist. Couldn't imagine doing a day in the saddle on one of those (but then I'm 57), great toy for a weekend blast when you're in the mood though and if that's your cup of tea, go for it :)
I think I could of had that Corolla within the next couple of turns.

Back