• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Please Help Me Diagnose This Noise!

DETRoadster

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Hey Guzzi fans, hoping someone can assist me in diagnosing a super annoying and increasingly louder noise on my V7-1 Racer. The noise as best I can describe it is a fast, somewhat random, chirping. It occurs only in 1 very specific scenario, as follows:

- No throttle input
- Clutch engaged (ie, clutch lever not pulled. ie, hand not on the clutch lever)
- In gear

I'll most commonly hear it when coasting down a slight hill, engine braking. As soon as I disengage the clutch (ie, pull the clutch lever in) it goes away. As soon as I give it a little gas it goes away.

It's like something in the clutch/pressure plate assembly maybe has some slop in it and is rattling around and chirping. Adding throttle or actuating the pressure plate provides enough torque to force things into place and quiet it down.

Any ideas?!

How's the free play on your clutch lever?
Well now there's an obvious thing to check. How did I overlook that? I'll take a peek at it tonight. I replaced the cable last year and haven't touched it since. I'll bet it's loose.

Thanks!

I was thinking more like you don't have enough. Start at the lever on the back of the gear box that does the work ( back off the bar adjuster first) and then take up final minor adjustment at the bar. Give anything that moves some lube while you're under there too.

I was thinking more like you don't have enough. Start at the lever on the back of the gear box that does the work ( back off the bar adjuster first) and then take up final minor adjustment at the bar. Give anything that moves some lube while you're under there too.
Oh, I see OK. I'll give it a shot this weekend! Thanks!

Finally got some free time to match up with the tricky Seattle weather. Adjusted the clutch cable super tight. Noice did not go away. Then tried it super loose. Noise didn't go away. So clutch cable tightness seems to not really impact the noise. What is consistent is that I only hear it when I'm engine braking. Under load, no noise. The second I pull the clutch lever in the noise stops.

Any other ideas folks??

Thanks!

The description sounds like what some of the 750 Brevas would do. Just so you know, no one ever found the cause on those bikes either.

The description sounds like what some of the 750 Brevas would do. Just so you know, no one ever found the cause on those bikes either.
I’d actually be ok with that. The noise is annoying but if it never manifests itself as anything else I’d be ok. I have this fear of the clutch assembly grenading itself at 80mph on the freeway.

The worst that might happen is that a throw out bearing goes bad and will eventually make a lot of noise, long before it "grenades" or stops working.

My Racer makes a number of amusing noises, just like my LeMans V and Sportified 850T did. I mostly ignore them and just ride. Nothing's ever broken... :D

The worst that might happen is that a throw out bearing goes bad and will eventually make a lot of noise, long before it "grenades" or stops working.

My Racer makes a number of amusing noises, just like my LeMans V and Sportified 850T did. I mostly ignore them and just ride. Nothing's ever broken... :D

Definitely been there already with the TO bearing. That failed at 4,000 miles. Lots of squealing with the clutch pulled in. I was amazed when I saw the size of the thing. No bigger than a nickel. No wonder it failed. That may be what's going out again, though it's odd that it's making noise when the clutch level is pulled. When it went out the first time it was the opposite, which is what i'd expect of a TO bearing.

Do our bikes have pilot bearing in the end of the crank that the nose of the transmission input shaft engages with?

Do our bikes have pilot bearing in the end of the crank that the nose of the transmission input shaft engages with?

No pilot bearings used with Guzzi bikes. The pressure plates on all of these machines are pressed from the center by the clutch push rod. No fingers or forks like an automotive clutch system.

No pilot bearings used with Guzzi bikes. The pressure plates on all of these machines are pressed from the center by the clutch push rod. No fingers or forks like an automotive clutch system.
And it looks like that pushrod goes straight through the center of a geared shaft. Funky. I wonder if it’s the clutch release pushrod rubbing inside that geared shaft.

And it looks like that pushrod goes straight through the center of a geared shaft. Funky. I wonder if it’s the clutch release pushrod rubbing inside that geared shaft.

Hard to say. With the seals on the push rod, it should be turning at shaft speed but I guess it is possible.

Back