• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2009 Stelvio – somebody talk me out of it…

Lumir Bakota

Tuned and Synch'ed
So I test rode today a 2009 Stelvio 4V, 26k km on the clock in pristine/showroom condition. Dealer maintained, all records available, the roller tappet kit C installed by dealer. Comes with the original Guzzi hard cases. First owner, the guy is asking $5k CAN.

I should point out that in last 15+ years I owned and ridden exclusively twins in all forms and makes including lately 2006 GS, 2009 RT, 2012 Stelvio NTX, and 2016 Africa Twin. I got lured into buying 2019 Yamaha Tracer GT with all its bells and whistles, great bike, light, but I just cannot get used to this high revving engine and miss my twins.

I used to own the new model 2012 Stelvio NTX, I liked the looks of it and character of the engine, but I was put off by everything running red hot (engine, tranny, rear drive) but mainly the EXTREMELY noisy/whiny transmission (quite a difference compared to beamers). Sold it after one season. To my surprise, this 2009 Stelvio was almost as quiet as the RT and after half an hour ride in warm weather there was not excessive heat anywhere.

The problem is that my nearest Guzzi dealer is in Quebec City, some 800 kms from Moncton where I live, so I would be pretty much on my own for maintenance and repairs. Regular maintenance is not an issue; I have always serviced my bikes by myself, and I know that Guzzi is fairly simple.

I am not sure what is the reliability of these bikes or if I could anticipate some major repairs that I couldn’t handle myself. Any comments on that would be very appreciated.

If the $ hasn't changed latly thats about $4000 US. Good deal assuming the dealer really did the latest kit. Real problem with it is the small tank and living in the great frozen north. You will be seeking fuel by 150 miles.

The problem is that my nearest Guzzi dealer is in Quebec City, some 800 kms from Moncton where I live, so I would be pretty much on my own for maintenance and repairs. Regular maintenance is not an issue; I have always serviced my bikes by myself, and I know that Guzzi is fairly simple.

I am not sure what is the reliability of these bikes or if I could anticipate some major repairs that I couldn’t handle myself. Any comments on that would be very appreciated.

I think you ought to go for it. My 2009 has 84,000 Km on it, and is humming along like a big black 105 HP sewing machine.

I'm over 100 miles from the nearest dealer, and the only thing I've ever had it in for was the roller conversion and a new map download.

The fluids and brake pads are easy to change, the wheels come off easily to change tires, and there's not too much more to deal with. Since Guzzi was very sloppy about greasing bearings while assembling new Stelvios, I followed some excellent advice and greased the swingarm bearings on mine, which took a few hours but is easy to do if you follow the sequence (documented in many places). I also (for my own comfort) installed a 1" lower rear suspension, and lowered the front end 1" and installed new springs and spacers; none of that stuff is complex.

All the electrics work well, the oils (engine, transmission, rear drive) are always pristine and clear and full when I change them every 10,000 Km, and I expect it to last me a long time. When the new map was installed during the roller conversion, my fuel mileage went from about 5.7 liters/100km to 4.6 liters/100 km and so I can go 330 Km before needing gas in the 4.9 gallon (18 L) tank. I've gone 214 miles on a tank and not run dry.

Good luck!

Lannis

Thanks for the info, Lannis. I am still researching the web and trying to make my mind.
You actually touched an issue - when I looked through service paperwork on this bike, it states that roller tapet kit C was installed, but mapping was not upgraded. Not sure what my options are with no dealer arpund...

Thanks for the info, Lannis. I am still researching the web and trying to make my mind.
You actually touched an issue - when I looked through service paperwork on this bike, it states that roller tapet kit C was installed, but mapping was not upgraded. Not sure what my options are with no dealer arpund...

Just because the work order doesn't say the map was upgraded doesn't mean it wasn't. It will still run OK (but better with the updated map) until you get to where there is a dealer that can check the map and upgrade if needed.

Another thing. How serious is the issue with "undergreased" swing arm and steering head? Should I be addressing this right a way on 2009 bike with 26k kms
?
BTW, it turned out that ECU map update was done before the roller tappet kit install.

For the greasing issue, I can only say that after a large majority of the guys who have documented checking their swingarms found that they had never been greased at the factory, and were literally dry from the day they were new, I went ahead and did mine. I found that it had minimal grease in it (like what you would find in a new replacement bearing you had shipped to you), and were still in usable shape after cleaning and greasing. Many have had the dry, rusty bearing fall into their hand in pieces.

Lannis

Back