• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Audace Oil consumption

anmagu

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Hello

I thought I'd share this with you.

I startet a 750 km ride to slovenia last friday and arrived on saturday. After 600 km, the oil lamp popped up for a few seconds... I thought that it couldn't be too bad cause it disappeared again, might be just o .the minimum. After that, i appeared again always during start up for 2-3 seconds. I went to a guzzi dealer in slovenia...

We had to fill up 2.4 liters of oil to reach the maximum! Difference from min. To max. On the dipstick is 0.7 liters.
That was 2500 km after the first service!

Drove home 750 km yesterday. Checked the oil again. No oil visible on the dipstick. I brought my guzzi to the dealer today. Again around 2.5l of oil in 750 km gone missing! He ckecked quick for leakes etc. Nothing. It still rides as it should, no loss of power, no funny noises, no smoking out of the exhaust, just no hints. Both dealers have used the guzzi recommended ENI 10w 60 oil.

My guzzi is still original, only exception are my mistral exhausts. The dealer said that in 32 years of being a guzzi dealer he has never seen such a thing. He also mentioned, that the oil pressure sensor pops up after +- 60% of the oil is gone, much too late.

He opened a warranty case and now i gotta wait. Still can not believe how fast and where all the oil did go.

Did anyone else here had an oil problem too?

Andreas

Had my Audace since 2016 and it's never used a drop of oil even during the break in period. There have been stories posted here by those who overfill and the the oil ends up in the air box, but I can't recall any post of a 1400 using large amounts of oil (but someone else here will chip in here if that's the case).

I'm also struggling to understand where it has gone, if there's no leak and no smoke (and it's not in the air box), where else can it have gone. Have you checked for leaks around the oil radiator at the front and pipes to/from that? if it's losing a lot of oil there must be a sign of it somewhere. If it were me, I would have a friend drive/ride behind me on a trip to see if there's a puff of smoke under certain specific riding conditions (e.g. backing off/hard throttle etc), maybe film it too if that's possible

I have a 2017 Calif. and it's never used a drop of oïl. I don't think this is normal not for a Guzzi, Harley yes...

The oil may be able to leave the motorcycle if the drain to the airbox is unplugged and the airbox is getting saturated in oil. It would pay to check the airbox, but even so not this much oil. I'm dumbfounded.

Who did the service?
If you did not do the service then did you check the level when you got the bike from the shop?
Possible they did not fill it properly?

FYI: Don't try to keep the oil filled to the Maximum on the stick.
Keep it at the half way point.
Every Guzzi I have owned will drop the oil to that half way point soon after an oil change then it will stay at the half mark until the next change.

Who did the service?
If you did not do the service then did you check the level when you got the bike from the shop?
Possible they did not fill it properly?

FYI: Don't try to keep the oil filled to the Maximum on the stick.
Keep it at the half way point.
Every Guzzi I have owned will drop the oil to that half way point soon after an oil change then it will stay at the half mark until the next change.

My dealer's been a guzzi dealer for 32 yeara now. I fully trust him. When i brought my bike and told him about my problem he said "we only fill the oil up to 80-90%, never the full amount". And then he taught me about the airfilter etc.

So, i am pretty sure this isn't the problem. My bike just burns it... Somehow. I should try to fill the oil in the gas tank, and the gas in the oil compartment...

I will let you know as soon as i hear from him.

Had my Audace since 2016 and it's never used a drop of oil even during the break in period. There have been stories posted here by those who overfill and the the oil ends up in the air box, but I can't recall any post of a 1400 using large amounts of oil (but someone else here will chip in here if that's the case).

I'm also struggling to understand where it has gone, if there's no leak and no smoke (and it's not in the air box), where else can it have gone. Have you checked for leaks around the oil radiator at the front and pipes to/from that? if it's losing a lot of oil there must be a sign of it somewhere. If it were me, I would have a friend drive/ride behind me on a trip to see if there's a puff of smoke under certain specific riding conditions (e.g. backing off/hard throttle etc), maybe film it too if that's possible

I ride alongside friends lots of times. Never heard a word about my guzzi smoking... Tbh, the bike is still on warranty. To get rid of this issue is up to the dealer and (even more) the importer. So i'm not gonna do test rides by myself

I'm with Paul, I have a 2016 audace and it doesn't burn or loose oil, at least not yet(hoping it never starts).

Update: importer told me to do another 500 km (320 miles?). Did half of it, oil level was 1 finger under the minimum again... Back at the dealer. Now i have to wait what the official moto guzzi mechanic of the importer finds... At least the importer is 20 min from my home...

Update: importer told me to do another 500 km (320 miles?). Did half of it, oil level was 1 finger under the minimum again... Back at the dealer. Now i have to wait what the official moto guzzi mechanic of the importer finds... At least the importer is 20 min from my home...
Good luck.

UPDATE

My dealers suggestion after taking the engine apart: the cylinders and/or pistons are out of the tolerancers. There's burned oil on top of the pistons, but it's that much, that it didn't even burn in properly, u can scratch it off by fingernail.

It's getting measured by a company specialiced in such things. And if my dealer is right, i am getting new cylinders and pistons.

Good News is: no damage to any part of the engine. Even though it was runnin 700 miles on a highway with too little oil, the cylinderheads loon like new inside and the oil was without any material.

Seems like i have gotten a Lemon, but it shows how sturdy those engines are

UPDATE

My dealers suggestion after taking the engine apart: the cylinders and/or pistons are out of the tolerancers. There's burned oil on top of the pistons, but it's that much, that it didn't even burn in properly, u can scratch it off by fingernail.

It's getting measured by a company specialiced in such things. And if my dealer is right, i am getting new cylinders and pistons.

Good News is: no damage to any part of the engine. Even though it was runnin 700 miles on a highway with too little oil, the cylinderheads loon like new inside and the oil was without any material.

Seems like i have gotten a Lemon, but it shows how sturdy those engines are

There must have been a lot of smoke if it was burning oil at that rate.

Drove home 750 km yesterday. Checked the oil again. No oil visible on the dipstick. I brought my guzzi to the dealer today. Again around 2.5l of oil in 750 km gone missing! He ckecked quick for leakes etc. Nothing. It still rides as it should, no loss of power, no funny noises, no smoking out of the exhaust, just no hints. Both dealers have used the guzzi recommended ENI 10w 60 oil.

Did anyone else here had an oil problem too?

Andreas,

I had a similar thing happen when riding cross-country (U.S.). I stopped for gas and upon doing a pre-departure walk around I also pulled the dipstick and it showed no oil. I know that it takes a while for the oil to get back down to the bottom of the engine, do I waited for 30 minutes and checked again. No oil on the dipstick. I bought three quarts of 10W30 (only thing available) and rode 180 miles to the nearest Moto Guzzi dealer. When I got there, they noticed the oil level was fine (of course, I had just put three quarts in just before riding to their location). They drained, changed filter and refilled with 10W60 synthetic.

Later that evening the dealer owner called me and opened up a conference call with the regional MG rep. Neither of them had any idea where the oil could have gone that caused the original low oil situation. The next day I received a call from a MG rep in Italy. He also had no suggestions except that not enough oil was put in at the last change before I left on my trip. The correct amount was put in so the oil loss remains a mystery.

You are not alone... ;-)

Last edited:
My 2014 used oil until I had over 20000 miles on it then the oil consumption stopped. But it never used oil like your describing.

There must have been a lot of smoke if it was burning oil at that rate.
No, interestingly not. I have never seen, neither my friends who rode behind me.

I thought this happens only at Harley Davidson.
I made these jokes too. Now my HD riding colleagues are doing the same to me.

Andreas,

I had a similar thing happen when riding cross-country (U.S.). I stopped for gas and upon doing a pre-departure walk around I also pulled the dipstick and it showed no oil. I know that it takes a while for the oil to get back down to the bottom of the engine, do I waited for 30 minutes and checked again. No oil on the dipstick. I bought three quarts of 10W30 (only thing available) and rode 180 miles to the nearest Moto Guzzi dealer. When I got there, they noticed the oil level was fine (of course, I had just put three quarts in just before riding to their location). They drained, changed filter and refilled with 10W60 synthetic.

Later that evening the dealer owner called me and opened up a conference call with the regional MG rep. Neither of them had any idea where the oil could have gone that caused the original low oil situation. The next day I received a call from a MG rep in Italy. He also had no suggestions except that not enough oil was put in at the last change before I left on my trip. The correct amount was put in so the oil loss remains a mystery.

You are not alone... ;-)

Sounds pretty much like mine. Though i had to ride another round of 400 miles for Moto Guzzi just to be sure. Same outcome. Has this problem appeared again simce then?

My 2014 used oil until I had over 20000 miles on it then the oil consumption stopped. But it never used oil like your describing.
I'm totally fine with buying some oil from time to time. But 2.5 liters every 750 km will cost me 50 Euros each time. And since its in warranty and oil consumption should be a thing of the past, they better fix it

I agree. Something is wrong for sure with it using oil like that

..my new V85 oil consumption was 0.6 liter/1000km -no visible smoking. Right plug very sooty.. Got new cylinder/piston on right side under warranty. Now it works!
Reason for consumption was wrongly assembled oil ring -both rails and expander ring gap was in same placement :eek:

-KG-

Reason for consumption was wrongly assembled oil ring -both rails and expander ring gap was in same placement
So sad on many levels, but glad to hear it is all resolved. Thank you for posting.

Update: cylinders and pistons were measured and... Everything was great, inside the tolerances. Since they have no hints, they're just replacing the cylinders and pistons...
According to swiss law they have twice the chance to fix a bike under warranty before they have to give me a new one or the money back. Will get it back in a couple of weeks, ride it hard a few days. Changes are high that it's getting returned shortly afterwards...

Back