• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Final drive leak thread

Does your V7 Final Drive leak? Select all that apply, and be sure to include model year below.

• Total voters
I have a 2016 racer with just over 13k km on it. I had the 10k done and the servicing shop overfilled the transmission fluid, but that was 3k km ago, and I took it back to get it resolved. Yesterday I drove 400 km in non-stop pouring rain, but had no issues that I could tell. Today I went for a 100 km ride and noticed on a right corner my rear wheel lost traction for a moment. I pulled over to see what was going on and my rear tire is sprayed with fluid all over the right side. And while stopped it was pooling down on the bottom of the rim.

I've been reading through this forum and it seems likely that it's an issue with the final drive, but I am at least 400 km away from the nearest Moto Guzzi shop, so I'm wondering if there are things I should do before I can get it there.

Is it worth taking the rear tire off and checking the flanges at this point? Do they suddenly get loose and have transmission oil spray every where or is this likely a gasket issue or some other leak?

The fluid was kind of a light brown creamy colour - not what I was expecting. Does this change anything, or is it still likely transmission oil?

Is it possible that water somehow got in there during the ride in the rain or outside last night? I don't usually park outside, but I ride in the rain all the time. I'm wondering if water filled up the reservoir a bit and forced it out of the overflow valve.

Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• 20180429_171634.jpg
    20180429_171634.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 20180429_153152.jpg
    20180429_153152.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20180429_153117.jpg
    20180429_153117.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 78
would love to get a sense of how many of you do or don’t have this problem, and what gen of V7/9 you ride. If this is a bad enough problem perhaps we can talk with someone at corporate when they get back from their summer break.

Try removing level plug and see if water has "over filled it". If so drain contaminated oil out refill to bottom of level plug thread clean it all up and have a carful ride and check for leaks. I've had water in mine after 500miles in heavy rain, had to change oil twice before I was happy with the colour of the oil.

2017 V9 Roamer
mileage 4316 12-05-2018
Found oil on right side of wheel/tire after a 30 mile mid 40's ride at freeway speeds. Inspection revealed oil drip forming on bottom of final drive at wheel. No oil leaking before start of trip when I checked tire pressure. Returned to dealer for correction. Dealer report stated IT APPEARS IT WAS A RESIDUAL OIL LEAK FROM THE FACTORY. FINAL DRIVE NO LONGER LEAKING. Trailered it back home, removed the fill plug and verified correct oil level at bottom of fill port. Geared up and aired it out on the freeway at 70+ speeds for approx. 25 miles. Temps in the mid 50's. No trace of oil after the ride or two days later parked. Will report back if there is a recurrence.

update:
mileage 6500 8-30-2020
No final drive oil leaks. Outside air temps ranged from 40 to 100 deg F with a mix of city to freeway speeds.

Last edited:
2017 V7iii Special. Just spatters a bit on the right side of the rear rim, a bit like a chain driven bike. Dealer knows about it and will fix it at next service.

I started seeing more leaks in the rear around 2013, never seen much of it before. Almost like the minimum machining standard for that hub had changed.

I've posted on this before... most of the leaks I have undercovered were simply loose inner flange bolts on new bikes. I check these on all 600-1000m services at my shop.

Snake bit! I just noticed oil residue on my rear rim and bottom of the bevel drive. It's not bad but paranoid about oil getting on the rear tire. I've already had a low side dumper on the right side that I couldn't explain, maybe this was the cause? I did just replace the rear drive fluid, I think I'll clean the vent and take a bit of fluid out of the drive to see if it makes a difference.

I'd like to keep this thread going since this seems to be a common issue.

Update: I pulled the filler plug and had quite a bit of new fluid drip out. I let it drip until it stopped and pumped just a tiny bit more out. I'll test ride tomorrow and check it.

Last edited:
V7 cafe slutvxel Hello everyone.
Some info for you who have leakage. At my V7 Classic cafe 2011 I had it. There was a damage from the factory (Blue marker at Red Arrow)
Put it in the lathe and used a sandpaper for the damage And
mounted new radial seal (number: 15)

Perhaps you can imagine that some have that damage and it only changes seal, then it will not take so long until the damage has worn down the seal again.

Hope you can read my text (have Swedish as native language

Last edited:
I believe this is exactly the corresponding part we were advised to sand/polish on our Roamer in order to prevent a potential leak. We ordered the seal and have it in hand, but didn't know exactly what we might get into as far as the tear down and reassembly, so we've done nothing so far. We thought we had a leak, but it turned out to be an overfilled gearbox. We're still concerned about the potential problem though, especially since we are heading out to see the California Redwoods later this month.

Sarah

Yes, warranty ended in April, just a few weeks before we bought the bike. We will probably sit tight and hope for the best.

Sarah

I discovered another negative to letting the final drive leak onto the rear rim. I couldn't figure out why my raear brake was almost useless, it did nothing. I replaced the rear pads and found the old ones oil soaked. I cleaned the rear disc with cleaner and fine emery cloth. Now it works pretty good. Don't let your leak go too long!

Hi all, New here, from Liverpool UK.
I have a V7 III Milano bought in March 2019. Just clocked 3500miles after a tour of the Scottish Highlands and I've noticed oil drips on the rear right side wheel rim. I've taken on everything mentioned here and have just booked in with my local dealer. He is inspecting and going down the warranty route.
I had done a load of short journey on 30°C roads. Heat and pot holes....

So points to take to the dealer...
Blocked breather
Loose flange bolts
Knackered seal(s)
Bearings not flush
Too much oil
Imperfections
All the above.

Funny thing is I have been caning the rings off the gal coming back from bonnie scotland last week, 95mph motorway through rain and side winds for a significant distance. Left it parked up for 3 days then washed all the crap off. No problems.
Go for a leisurely ride in the hot Sun and it bleedin' leaks!

I'm going to extract the breather bolt and flush out any crap with compressed air.

I've seen some fixes to this bolt using banjo bolts and plastic tubing etc.

Any other ideas as removing the bolt once a week will be a gnaws ache.

Last edited:
Hello.....
Anybody out there??

Just for the record I removed the breather bolt, blew out through with a compressor, put the bolt back with very very little torque and so far (150 miles of riding) no returning oil leak from the drive shaft housing.
I'm taking it in for a check anyways.

I hope this helps anyone else drifting onto this topic looking for info.

Royster over and out.....

Back