• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

750 Breva puking oil

ErikK

Just got it firing!
Oil is dripping from the drain tubes, it made quite a puddle after a spirited ride. The drain tube from the bottom of the airbox turned out to be cracked so that's one thing. But... there is also evidence of new oil leaking out all over the engine.. around the cam sensor and several other places. It smells to me as if the crankcase is pressurized and can't vent properly.

1.. The Guzzi shop manual mentions a "non return valve" in the PCV system but where is it?
2.. As far as I can tell all the PCV related hoses go into the bottom of the airbox. How can I open this up or remove it to see what's inside?

I opened up the dipstick while the engine was running at idle. There are strong pressure pulsations pushing and pulling the dipstick plug, but it's not clear that the average is pushing more than pulling, Then I disconnected the vent hose from the right rocker cover and tested again, there was not a clear difference. So the new oil grime on the outside of the engine points to crankcase pressure, but this quick test at idle didn't show it.

What should I test next? How to find and fix this problem? All advice is welcome.

Look for a hose from the crankcase to a pipe, probably venting to the atmosphere or pointing to the ground. Along its route you should find a one-way valve. Pull it apart, remove its innards and replace.

The oil level is about 3/4 up in the zone on the stick. This is checked with the bike upright and the dipstick just resting on the threads, not screwed in. Is that the correct procedure for this bike?

There is a hose that goes from the back of the oil sump up to somewhere. It doesn't go down and out, it probably goes to the bottom of the airbox where there is some kind of oil separator or something. I will trace it and see if I can find anything. There is a separate hose from the bottom of the airbox going down, but it is plugged, not open.

There is an oil drain from the breather oil seperator back down to the sump. There is also an airbox drain which should be plugged. You should drain that periodically. Have you done so? If you have got too much oil in the airbox goodness knows where it will come out.
Try dropping the oil level to the halfway mark.

Sounds like too much oil.
Probably true. My manual says the dipstick should be screwed in to check the level. Also, as with all bikes, the level should be checked warm. If you're topping up oil to the max line when its cold you've put in too much oil.

My model has a PCV line from the sump to the air box. It's an odd percolator/fluid airlock sort of setup. I've only owned one Guzzi so I can't really speak to other models, but it sounds very similar to mine. If your crankcase top vent is blocked, it may cause intake vacuum to excessively suck oil up into the airbox.

Back