• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil Filter Wrench

RSMike

Just got it firing!
Greetings all, My first post, I just purchased a 2005 Griso today and am looking for some advice about the correct oil filter removal tool.

The previous owner for the past two years admitted he never changed the oil as the oil filter tool he purchased did not fit ( or that was his excuse). I am not so worried as he only put up 2500 miles on the bike since the previously documented service.

Nevertheless I intend to change oil and filter as my first priority. I have a couple of Mahle tools from past BMW bikes and both look like they should fit but do not.

Here is a photo of the filter: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CXNMhzq4iz6pkyRQ8

From some image searches on the internet, I guess it is this filter:
https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=1094#prettyPhoto

And the tool I need therefore is the one on that page.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks

Mike

That looks like the old style 8 flute UFI filter. A generic cup wrench of the correct diameter will fit that you can get at most auto parts stores. If hard to remove a tool like this works wonders.
61%2BuzAr8OAL._SL1001_.jpg

Even better is the Griso will accept the Bosch 3330 filter which is identical to BMW K and oil head filters. Do torque the oil filter to 15 Nm on install.

Thanks for the fast reply John.

By lying on the floor with a light and squinting, and peering into the oil filter well, , I just managed to make out the writing on the side of the filter. It is UFI 23 287 00, so I am going to go ahead and order a new one of these with the associated wrench. However, one of those adjustable wrenches looks like a very useful tool to have in the arsenal, will keep an eye out for one.

Cheers

Mike

I'm not sure if the UFI you will order is the 8 flute or 14 flute design. You do want the 14 flute. Torque value is the same.

John,

I'm thinking that, given that the OP has a 2005 Griso with 2.5K miles, he might want to run a search on how to remove a "frozen" filter! Even a wrench that fits his present filter might round off flutes given the time its been there.

Then, it''l be time for Plans B, C, and Z. :banghead:

That task is always a challenge to one's patience, and it turns the air blue. The OP may wish to send any kids to camp for the week this will take if it doesn't readily come off. :swear: :giggle:

Bill

John,

I'm thinking that, given that the OP has a 2005 Griso with 2.5K miles, he might want to run a search on how to remove a "frozen" filter! Even a wrench that fits his present filter might round off flutes given the time its been there.

That task is always a challenge to one's patience, and it turns the air blue. The OP may wish to send any kids to camp for the week this will take if it doesn't readily come off. :swear: :giggle:

Bill
:D, I have been there before Bill, so know what you mean, hopefully though not this time, :worried:. I may have not been very clear in the first post. It is 2.5K miles since the last service which was 2 years ago.

These UFI filters have a batch number and what I assume is a manufacturing date facing down (see photo in original post). This is a useful feature that I have not seen before. This filter has a date of 12/10/16, so seems to fit with the May 2017 last documented service date.

John, the tool is the 14 flute design, so hopefully all good, thanks again for your quick response.

Fingers crossed, I'll post an update after I receive the filter and tool and tackle the job which should be in about a week.

^^^^^

You were clear, but I was still only on my first cup of coffee. :snooze:

My Griso and Norge both tend to weep a wee bit at the oil filter and thus need either more gorilla-fisted torque on them to install (& remove) or frequent checks and tightening lest I worry about the thing working loose with less than optimal consequences. :(

On a trip of consequence -- actually, every overnighter -- I actually usually pack a lightweight plastic removal tool for whatever flute (or piccolo :giggle:) filter style the moto is sporting just then. I can't remember the brand, but it's nice to be able to cinch up the filter when needed without carrying an anvil-weight version.

Best wishes with that Griso. Mine's a hoot ... that scares me silly now and then. :rofl:

Bill

I feel compelled to add that, while most Guzzi's come stock with a UFI filter I see little reason to go through the effort to source said filter. There are many easier to get filters that are just as good and in some cases a better filter. The previously mentioned Bosch, or a Wix, or even a NAPA Gold to name a few options.
There have been occasional issues with the quality of some of the UFI filters.
But, as mentioned, whatever you use be sure to make sure it is good and tight. Also make sure that when you remove the old filter the gasket comes with it. Occasionally the gasket stays in place and screws up the sealing of the new filter.

Buy the way, I was able to buy a seriously sweet set of filter wrenches for Guzzi's from this site. One of the members machined them out of billet. They are so nice I almost don't want to use them for fear of messing them up. But then I remember that is what tools are for.
https://gtmotocycles.com/collections/other/products/gt-motocycles-cnc-oil-filter-socket
I realize only a few are crazy enough to pay that much for an oil filter wrench. But they are tool art.

John,

Bill

Bill,

That is why I included a picture of the wrench type I use to remove frozen filters.

Well, I feel duty bound to finish the story. As seems obvious now, having studied online all sorts of 14 sided filters and wrenches , Guzzi, BMW, VW, whatever, they are all the same. So when what I thought was a special Guzzi 14 sided wrench finally arrived Friday from Stein Dinse in Germany with a replacement UFI filter, it of course still did not fit the UFI filter on my Griso. The new wrench did fit the new UFI filter it came with (same part no. as the one on the bike) and the two existing BMW wrenches in my toolbox also fitted the new UFI filter, :rolleyes:

So, it turns out the filter on the bike had been ever so slightly deformed by a previous tool (I'm guessing when fitted) and was not going to easily accept any standard 14 sided wrench.. The answer was obvious now, with a rubber mallet and a few gentle whacks one of the three filter wrenches slipped on, and off came the filter, no problems, :whew:.
So you were kinda correct Bill, I did get to plan C, but luckily not plan Z, :). Filter removed, new one fitted, oil changed and all is well. Filters
I am now however the proud owner of three slightly different looking but otherwise identical 14 sided wrenches:giggle:

On the left the old UFI filter, in the middle the new UFI filter same part no. and on the right an equivalent HIFLO filter.

Thats a lot of work.

Ive been running a Bosch 3400 filter and accompanying stamped steel socket, both from Advanced Auto, for years now. Just hand tighten and a quarter turn after.

Only downside is the capacity of the 3400 is slightly larger so it sticks out from the oil pan a few MM, you cant use a frame jack on the oil pan anymore (not that I ever did really).

Back