• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 III - 2018 Oil Sump Pan Gasket

Mavora

Just got it firing!
Sorry if this is in the wrong location, I didn't see a model specific forum for the V7 III.

I recently dropped the oil sump pan on my brand new 2018 V7 III (Carbon Dark). To my surprise there was no gasket or sign of any silicone or other form of sealant. I'm not certain how it managed to not leak from the factory, but after putting it back and re-torqueing the bolts oil leaks everywhere.

Looking through the various Guzzi manuals (bike specific parts manual, 750 euro 4 engine manual, etc.) I see a lot of conflicting diagrams/pictures. Usually they conflict even within the same manual. Some diagrams show a gasket, some do not. The techs at my local Guzzi dealer unfortunately were not familiar and couldn't provide direction. It looks like Guzzi redesigned the oil sump for the 2018 V7 III, which might contribute to the conflicting references.

The Guzzi part number for the gasket (when shown) is 1A005211, so I have one on the way to see what happens. Oddly the pictures of this gasket on the sites I found them available at do not match the pictures/diagrams of the gasket from Guzzi's manuals.

My question is does anyone know if there is supposed to be a gasket and can confirm the correct part number? Barring getting my hands on a correct OEM gasket I plan to use Permatex or some other appropriate gasket sealant.

Does anyone have familiarity with this?

Thank You!

The sump gasket is not normally installed with gasket sealant. If you do, count on replacing it next time you drop the sump.

You must have done something wrong on reassembly. Usually there is no issue using the same gasket again, but they won't last forever.

You'll probably find what damage was caused on the last reassembly, and take care it doesn't happen again.

Thanks for the response. The issue is there was no gasket at all when I opened it up; and I definitely didn't lose or misplace a gasket into the oil pan etc. It was just metal on metal, so that's the way I put it back together. I also saw no sign of any other form of sealant. Strangest thing, I still don't understand how it stayed leak free from the factory for 1,000 miles.

Given the various manuals from Guzzi either show or don't show a gasket for the sump, my guess is some really came from the factory without a gasket.

Sorry if this is in the wrong location, I didn't see a model specific forum for the V7 III.

I recently dropped the oil sump pan on my brand new 2018 V7 III (Carbon Dark). To my surprise there was no gasket or sign of any silicone or other form of sealant. I'm not certain how it managed to not leak from the factory, but after putting it back and re-torqueing the bolts oil leaks everywhere.

Looking through the various Guzzi manuals (bike specific parts manual, 750 euro 4 engine manual, etc.) I see a lot of conflicting diagrams/pictures. Usually they conflict even within the same manual. Some diagrams show a gasket, some do not. The techs at my local Guzzi dealer unfortunately were not familiar and couldn't provide direction. It looks like Guzzi redesigned the oil sump for the 2018 V7 III, which might contribute to the conflicting references.

The Guzzi part number for the gasket (when shown) is 1A005211, so I have one on the way to see what happens. Oddly the pictures of this gasket on the sites I found them available at do not match the pictures/diagrams of the gasket from Guzzi's manuals.

My question is does anyone know if there is supposed to be a gasket and can confirm the correct part number? Barring getting my hands on a correct OEM gasket I plan to use Permatex or some other appropriate gasket sealant.

Does anyone have familiarity with this?

Thank You!

"The techs at my local Guzzi dealer unfortunately were not familiar and couldn't provide direction" is ludicrous.

So, they aren't familiar? How about asking them to GET familiar?

There is a "tech on call" for them. They know that and should be asking.

Bill

"The techs at my local Guzzi dealer unfortunately were not familiar and couldn't provide direction" is ludicrous.

So, they aren't familiar? How about asking them to GET familiar?

There is a "tech on call" for them. They know that and should be asking.

Bill

It was surprising to say the least. More than half their floor was 2018 V7 IIIs. To think they had never dropped the oil pan to know if there is normally a gasket present on an '18 V7 was a bit mind boggling. To be fair I may have been speaking with newer techs and I did not think at the time to ask for a lead tech.

Anyhow, I'm sure the issue will soon be solved with a combination of Permatex/cutting out a gasket or whatever mystery gaskets I have inbound from the Guzzi parts catalog.

Cheers!

Where there’s oil involved I’ve always seen a gasket of some description.
So for me I just don’t get how your engine wasn’t spewing oil from the beginning?

Jeff - completely agree, this post was more about bewilderment than anything else. Not a clue how it wasn't leaking to begin with. Must have sat perfectly from the factory.

Paul - was doing the 900 mile service and it was a combination of wanting to fully clean out any metal shavings not picked up by the drain plug and just general (retrospectively unhealthy) curiosity.

Often the gasket sticks to the cases or pan. Guessing you are positive that this isn't the case? It would for certain leak without one.
This is the parts list, as they do have one:

V7III OilPanGsket

Often the gasket sticks to the cases or pan. Guessing you are positive that this isn't the case? It would for certain leak without one.
This is the parts list, as they do have one:

View attachment 17511

I'm right there with you, I assumed it was just stuck to the pan or case at first, but made triple sure that was not the case (not in the oil pan, on the ground, or elsewhere). My thought is they must have had some silicone sealant on that was so thin I didn't see it.

Thanks for paging through the manual, that's the part number I have coming in from AF1 and MG-Cycle (albeit their pictures of the gasket don't match the diagrams/pictures from the manual). Something will work, no doubt. Service Manual for the 750 euro 4 definitely shows a gasket, which makes sense.

6Sbw60p.png

Cheers

I'm right there with you, I assumed it was just stuck to the pan or case at first, but made triple sure that was not the case (not in the oil pan, on the ground, or elsewhere). My thought is they must have had some silicone sealant on that was so thin I didn't see it.

Thanks for paging through the manual, that's the part number I have coming in from AF1 and MG-Cycle (albeit their pictures of the gasket don't match the diagrams/pictures from the manual). Something will work, no doubt. Service Manual for the 750 euro 4 definitely shows a gasket, which makes sense.

6Sbw60p.png

Cheers

If so — and that is NOT a credibility or integrity jab! — that is amazing as metal-to-metal mating sufficient to stop weeping much less leaking would have required (or at least I would have thought required! ;)) torque values beyond that the sump and case would have tolerated without failure.

Bill

Metal to metal is not unusual, with or without any jointing cement. However, in this case a gasket was intended but not used. The fact that it didn't leak until it was removed suggests that it managed to warp slightly once removed.

Back