• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 iii main seal failure at 2700 miles. Will Guzzi fix?

Okay, so everybody knows what the "main seal" is except me, what seal are you talking about?

OK, why leave the spark plugs loose? What does this do?
Makes it easier to turn the engine over by using the rear wheel, you are not fighting the engine compression.

Also the engine will spin faster with plugs out & it won't drain the battery as much.

Okay, so everybody knows what the "main seal" is except me, what seal are you talking about?

The rear seal (at back of motor) that keeps the oil in the crankcase/oil pan.
Usually referred to as the rear main seal.

In todays engines the rear main seal is just like a wheel bearing seal a metal ring with a rubber seal.
Back in the 50's~60's the rear main (on chevy & probably other cars) was a wax impregnated rope seal.
There was an upper & a lower seal.
To replace the upper seal you either dropped the crank or pushed the seal out.
I had made a pin that I stuck in the oil passage of the crank shaft.
I would rotate the crank by hand & the pin would push the seal out, most of the time.

When I run an engine for a 'short time', short means enough time to fully warm the entire engine and exhaust system to operating temperature. Fifteen minutes under load at operating RPM is about right as a minimum, not fifteen minutes sitting at idle in the parking spot. If you can't achieve that, I agree with John Zibell's opinion. :)

My annual insurance premium is about $275 for Racer. I don't see it as expensive enough, for me, to be worth the trouble of carrying insurance only part of the time. If I only insured it for six months, it would likely only save me $75 or so per year. I'm not price sensitive on a vehicle's operating costs at that level... the difference is $6 a month averaged over the year, or a grande latte at Starbux... I'll keep the bike insured and not drink that latte. :D

My annual insurance premium is about $275 for Racer. I don't see it as expensive enough, for me, to be worth the trouble of carrying insurance only part of the time. If I only insured it for six months, it would likely only save me $75 or so per year.
Lucky you, I pay $1000 CAN ($ 750 US) for 6 months of full coverage for my Anniversario. And that is with a clean drivers record, and having shopped around as much as able up here. The base insurance has to come from our provincial insurance company and then everything else can be added on elsewhere. If I had only gone with the provincial coverage for everything it would be more like $1500 for 6 months.

Lucky you, I pay $1000 CAN ($ 750 US) for 6 months of full coverage for my Anniversario. And that is with a clean drivers record, and having shopped around as much as able up here. The base insurance has to come from our provincial insurance company and then everything else can be added on elsewhere. If I had only gone with the provincial coverage for everything it would be more like $1500 for 6 months.

YIKES!
In Florida Insurance on bikes is optional unless you want to ride without a helmet.
I do not have a car or truck so bikes are my only transportation.
Listing a bike as the primary vehicle can double insurance costs.
Some companies look at mileage to determine premium cost.
5000 miles a year & under is considered average, above 10,000 may hike rates but over 12,000 gets expensive.

Sheesh, that's a lot of money. :(

Liability insurance for vehicles on the road is mandatory in the state of California, as it is in most US states. I carry liability insurance for personal and property damage, comprehensive (I get paid if a tree falls on my bike or if it is stolen), and uninsured motorist (if someone hits me and is illegally driving without insurance, I'm covered by my insurance plan rather than theirs).

I dropped the collision coverage on my bike this year. Collision coverage covers my bike if I bash it into something hard enough to break it, with whatever deductible level I'm willing to pay for. I had it set to $1000 deductible and it was an additional $200 per year. I thought about that when I renewed my insurance and decided that there was little point to spending that money. If I hit something hard enough to cause more than $1000 worth of damage to the bike (never mind to myself), I would most likely consider it too damaged to be worth repairing ... And at my age/this point in my life, I would probably say to myself, "I think riding is a thing of the past... It was fun, and I remember it fondly, but I'm no longer up for that level of risk." It's a personal decision: At nearly 65, I don't have the reflexes I did twenty years ago nor can I heal as quickly. So I'll ride as long as I feel like I have the capability and enjoy it, but I have no problem observing what I'm doing and saying, "I'm done" if I don't measure up any more.

Racer is my last motorcycle, I know that, and even though it brings a tear to my eye when I think about that, there are other things in life that are more important now. I'm ready to sign the bottom line and let it go for the sake of the other things—and life itself!—when the time comes.

in the US at least you need to shop the crap out of insurance and I mean all of your insurance. I pay $600 a year for 300/500 full coverage on all 4 bikes with Allstate. just the 1000 Versys was that through dairyland. their homeowners was less too the 3 cars a tiny bit more than some. all in all a massive savings.

that is excessive...I guess you are a new rider? Here in Ontario where the winters are cold, the option of 6 month insurance is basically gone. Insurance is done on a yearly basis, with the understanding that most of us won't ride in the snow or when it's -10C out. I'm paying about $500 cdn on a V7ii (+20 yrs riding exp).

that is excessive...I guess you are a new rider? Here in Ontario where the winters are cold, the option of 6 month insurance is basically gone. Insurance is done on a yearly basis, with the understanding that most of us won't ride in the snow or when it's -10C out. I'm paying about $500 cdn on a V7ii (+20 yrs riding exp).
I have been riding for over 30 years, clean drivers record, with the full discount that is available. Granted I have full coverage for everything, but it is still that expensive. My boss rides a 1996 Honda ST 1100 and pays about $1600 for 6 months coverage. It is bloody insane the insurance rates out here on the west coast.

my wife’s 2018 V7 has had the main seal fail at 2700 miles, 3 months post-warranty. Shop is going to call Guzzi to see if they will cover the $2000+ repair bill, does anyone know how likely this is to happen? What would be the best escalation route if they turn me down? This bike has been pampered, it hasn’t even had its second service yet. This could only be an assembly defect from the factory.
Quick update: Moto Guzzi honored the warranty and my dealer (Aprilia Moto Guzzi of Portland) got the repairs done quickly and with no hassles. Happy endings are always nice.

Back