• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Speed wobble 1400 touring

bobbyblue

Just got it firing!
Hi, I have recently bought a California 1400 touring with full luggage including top box, I am still getting to know the bike, has anybody else suffered a wobble at high speeds, I am talking in excess of 80mph? I have heard of bikes with panniers and top box can sometimes be affected, great bike though, although two up in traffic it's a bit of a handful at times. Thanks guys.

Under the right conditions (pushing the limits) it can get a little unstable. I have a curve near my home that at 90+ mph gets a little hairy. Front end wants to waller around. Interstates no problems at 100+ Suspension could use some upgrading. I keep the rear preloaded all the way and it helps a lot
Ever watch the superbikes race? Those bikes wobble so bad at times I get nervous just watching. The touring bike is a touring bike and is spung/dampened soft.

Hi, I have recently bought a California 1400 touring with full luggage including top box, I am still getting to know the bike, has anybody else suffered a wobble at high speeds, I am talking in excess of 80mph? I have heard of bikes with panniers and top box can sometimes be affected, great bike though, although two up in traffic it's a bit of a handful at times. Thanks guys.

How you load the bike and tire pressure can impact high speed wobble. Be sure tires are at correct pressure. Also only heavy items in the saddle bags and very light items in the trunk. When the wobble occurs, place as much of your weight over the steering head as you can. It should bring you out of the wobble. Sometimes a road imperfection can initiate a wobble as well. As an experiment, remove the trunk and see if you get the wobble. BTW, are you Birmingham England or Alabama?

Covered well above, softly sprung and valved, and the Tour uses shorter rear shocks for whatever reason. I call this "choppered out." You can help by dropping the forks in the triple clamps as a band aid, or I really recommend upgrading the suspension on both ends, and using the Custom's longer length rear shocks. I have these options in the online Store here; https://gtmotocycles.com/collections/suspension/model_california-1400?sort_by=best-selling

Replaced my OEM with Matris units. Transformed the bike, I used to constantly scrape at roundabouts. Not now. Purchase through Todd and he will ensure you have it set up for your requirements.

Back